Humpback Rocks Loop Via the Appalachian Trail

Humpback Rocks Loop Via the Appalachian Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wintergreen, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Interstate 64 you want to take the Blue Ridge Parkway south until you see the entrance to the Humpback Rocks parking lot on your left. The parking lot will be on your right if you are coming north.

I’ve always gone straight up to the top of humpback but this is a great alternative if your just taking your time to get to the top. I finished the 4.1 miles I recorded in just under 2 hours and enjoyed the empty trails.

This was a trail and view I was proud to have all to myself on an early Monday morning. This is an area well known for herds of people pollution, this is why I was amazed to have it all to myself! I tracked 4.4 miles around the Loop Trail using my GPS & Fitbit. I did the counterclockwise route. You can tell by the wore out areas on the amount of people that use this trail. The part of the trail to the A.T. are not used as much and is a very enjoyable route back to the parking area. If you want great pictures without people pollution go on a weekday and go early! I returned to the parking lot to see only one other car and another pulling in as I was stowing my gear!

The hike was nice. We (seemingly, at least) went the reverse of most people and did the switchbacks first, then came down after the rocks, which I actually think was nicer.

My family hiked this route without any issues. I had with me two children ages 6 and 7, and they handled it very well. I would suggest bringing some food and water, as it is a long trip with children. You climb up to the rocks from the parking lot following the .8 of a mile trail. From there you will head back a few hundred feet to a sign post which directs you to the A.T. Follow that up until you come to a intersection with the A.T. sign. From there you will just follow the A.T. north down the mountain until you meet the trail back to the parking lot. The trail was beautiful in October.

Saturday, October 29, 2016