Humpback Rocks and Dobbie Mountain

Humpback Rocks and Dobbie Mountain is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nellysford, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,729 feet Route Type: Loop

Arrived at the trailhead about 8:30 AM and parking was no problem despite being a holiday. Did the loop clockwise with lots of runnable sections. The Rocks at the top were crowded, so I didn't stop long. Expect the short/steep Humpback Rocks section to be crowded, but the Dobbie Mountain and other sections have few hikers and make the trip more than worth it! No problems with ticks or biting flies!

Dobie mountain/Jack Albright loop were okay. My dog and I had the trail to ourselves, and my dog loved this part of the trail. Humpback Rocks was awful. I expected it to be crowded because it was a Saturday, but it was way overcrowded. Hopefully it's better during the week. I ended up carrying my dog almost the entire way because it was the only way for us to get by the huge groups of people. There were toddlers and small children running and screaming everywhere. One kid slung a stick at my dog (probably not on purpose...there were just kids going wild). Part of the trail is fairly wide but a lot of it is very narrow and very rocky, making it difficult to pass people coming in the other direction. I felt extremely crowded in. Once at the top, there were so many people sitting, as well as climbing up and down the rocks, I barely got a view. At this point, I wanted nothing more than to get out of that place. Again, hopefully it's not always that bad. It would be okay without the crowds. Dobie mountain was boring for me, because it was just woods with tons of bugs flying into my eyes and ears with no good views, but my dog enjoyed it.

Wonderful trail. Most people do the 2-mile out-and-back from the parking lot to the rocks. The backside of the trail is nice and empty. Would recommend.

Overall, great hike. Started with 40 min hike to Humpback Gap, which was the most challenging part of the hike. Noteworthy grade hiking up with some very rocky sections. Didn't need to scramble, but was close a couple times. Views going up were awesome. View from the top was spectacular. The hike on the AT North was fun and had some nice views. Climb back up Dobbie was fun. There's also wreckage of a crashed plane on the Albright Loop. My Garmin had the total distance at 7.8 miles. Took about 3:45 with stops. Highly recommend this hike.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Very enjoyable hike. Just happened to be scarce traffic on Humpback.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Great loop trail. After coming off Hump back rocks ( incredible views), going clockwise, take AT north...I don't know why we got confused.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018