House Mountain Trail

House Mountain Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lexington, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

House Mountain actually has two trails that fort at the "Saddle" area,

Incredible view! The sight from the summit is worth how difficult the incline intensity is while hiking up. Found the goat and hammocked at the summit till sunset. So beautiful, just make sure you're in shape!

Another awesome hike. May 12, 2018. Did’t see the goat!

Excellent hike, enjoyed the Big house trail and especially the exceptional views. It is about 6.5 miles from the parking to the overlook of Big House and back.

Great views at the top, but the actual hike is dull

Saturday, June 17, 2017

We hiked only to 'Big House' (~1.7/Out-back) to Goat Point Overlook. The VMI cadets hike with their rats up here every year. Gorgeous overlook. Parking at trailhead is limited. Quite steep in some areas! Saddle (where Big and Little House trails split) was beautiful with lots of yellow wildflowers (August)

Monday, June 05, 2017

The hike up to Big House was pretty difficult especially the last half mile from the saddle. We also went straight at the saddle instead of to Little or Big on the game trail. Not a great idea. The others are pretty though.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

My wife and I did little house this week and it was tremendous! While it was more climbing and slightly more difficult than we anticipated, it was by far our favorite hike in the seven days we spent in the area! Would highly recommend it. We hope to make it back in attempt to find the goat!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

This is my first hike since moving to Virginia and the Rockbridge area. It definitely was a tough one! For the first mile or so you're on gravel and going up steadily. It really gets hard once you get to the saddle, which is a nice resting spot. From there you can go on Little House or Big House. Since Big House was supposedly easier we took that trail, but it was definitely not easy! It's a steep, rocky incline that had me regretting going hiking today... but the view when you reach the top is worth the climb and the walk back is very easy as it's totally downhill.

Overall maybe not the best trail for a novice like myself, but it's worth it for the view and the workout!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

This is my favorite hike of all time. If you live in Lexington, you have to do this hike. The hike to the saddle is difficult but not as difficult as the hike to either big house or little house. Big house is an extremely steep but short hike with FANTASTIC VIEWS! Little house is also a little difficult but again fantastic views. Don't let this hike intimidate you, it's worth every minute!

Although I've hiked house mountain over 10 or so times, I've only seen the goat once (my fifth trip). It was amazing. The goat led me and my sister to the top of big house, and took several pictures with us! When we left, it even led us partially down big house mountain!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

My wife and I did the Little House portion. After the saddle, the real hike begins. Thanks to the good folks who maintained the trail up to the switchbacks. After that there's a challenging scramble and some bouldering. The hike along the mountain ridge to the viewpoint seems a lot longer than expected after the climb to get there but the view is spectacular.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Great trail! Big house is easier then Little house (steeper climb). Great views from big house!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Great hike along with a great workout. If you are doing both trails, recommend you do Little before Big. Views are awesome.

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Awesome. Had the entire trail to ourselves. Did Big House this time. Will do Little House next time.

Monday, September 14, 2015

Fun. The hike really begins once you pass the saddle.

Friday, June 12, 2015

My brother and I did the hike up to the saddle and turned right for the hike up little house mountain. There are some really steep parts and we had to take multiple breaks on the way up. When you get up there though, it flattens out for a little bit of ridge hiking and the view is really nice. The map at the saddle says there are three overlooks at the top of the mountain but we really only found one, the one farthest from the saddle. It took us a little over 2 hours to get up there (to little house mtn.)

This hike will kick your butt but I thought it was worth it.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Great hike - amazing views from Big House. Definitely a windier peak on the days that I've happened to go. There's a very friendly goat who will actually follow along with anyone on the trail.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

This trail kicked my butt. I am trying to "get back in shape" to play NCAA Soccer in the fall... So I'd say that I am probably middle of the pack as far as "in shape" is concerned. Just getting to the trail was hard... you walk up this really boring road where there are a few houses... not much to see...

I've attempted this trail three times.
The first time I didn't even make it to the saddle... I was sadly out of shape.
The second time I made it to the saddle... but not the top.
The third time I made it to the top and just the pure satisfaction was glorious. The view was something I've never seen in my entire life.

I would recommend this trail to anyone who:
is trying to get back in shape.
is looking for a moderate hike.
is looking for a new perspective.

TIP:
Make SURE you park in the designated area for your hike. While this is a HEAVILY wooded area, there are residents who enforce these rules are your car will be towed. This happened to another hiker during my hike.

ENJOY!

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Two trails that are pretty strenuous but with great payoffs.

From the Saddle Ridge Rd/VA643 parking area, the trail is basically a gravel road for a mile or so. Road is a moderate/strenuous continual climb. The trail forks at the Saddle area. Take a left to go to Big House Mountain. This section of the trail increases in elevation and steepness. You'll need to climb a few rocks and once at the top are treated to great views.

Return to the Saddle area to take the Little House Trail. The very beginning section was partially hidden by late season grown but once you go past this area, follow the blue blazes. The incline increases and there are smallish boulders to climb. Once on the ridge, you'll meander a bit until reaching the cliff views. Back track the trail to return to the parking area.

Both trails are hard and you'll feel it on the way up and the day after. But the views are great.

recorded Big House Trail