House Mountain Trail

House Mountain Trail is a 9.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lexington, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

House Mountain actually has two trails that fort at the "Saddle" area,

We hiked only to 'Big House' (~1.7/Out-back) to Goat Point Overlook. The VMI cadets hike with their rats up here every year. Gorgeous overlook. Parking at trailhead is limited. Quite steep in some areas! Saddle (where Big and Little House trails split) was beautiful with lots of yellow wildflowers (August)

The hike up to Big House was pretty difficult especially the last half mile from the saddle. We also went straight at the saddle instead of to Little or Big on the game trail. Not a great idea. The others are pretty though.

My wife and I did little house this week and it was tremendous! While it was more climbing and slightly more difficult than we anticipated, it was by far our favorite hike in the seven days we spent in the area! Would highly recommend it. We hope to make it back in attempt to find the goat!

This is my first hike since moving to Virginia and the Rockbridge area. It definitely was a tough one! For the first mile or so you're on gravel and going up steadily. It really gets hard once you get to the saddle, which is a nice resting spot. From there you can go on Little House or Big House. Since Big House was supposedly easier we took that trail, but it was definitely not easy! It's a steep, rocky incline that had me regretting going hiking today... but the view when you reach the top is worth the climb and the walk back is very easy as it's totally downhill.

Overall maybe not the best trail for a novice like myself, but it's worth it for the view and the workout!

geocaching

This is my favorite hike of all time. If you live in Lexington, you have to do this hike. The hike to the saddle is difficult but not as difficult as the hike to either big house or little house. Big house is an extremely steep but short hike with FANTASTIC VIEWS! Little house is also a little difficult but again fantastic views. Don't let this hike intimidate you, it's worth every minute!

Although I've hiked house mountain over 10 or so times, I've only seen the goat once (my fifth trip). It was amazing. The goat led me and my sister to the top of big house, and took several pictures with us! When we left, it even led us partially down big house mountain!

My wife and I did the Little House portion. After the saddle, the real hike begins. Thanks to the good folks who maintained the trail up to the switchbacks. After that there's a challenging scramble and some bouldering. The hike along the mountain ridge to the viewpoint seems a lot longer than expected after the climb to get there but the view is spectacular.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Great trail! Big house is easier then Little house (steeper climb). Great views from big house!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Friday, April 22, 2016

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Great hike along with a great workout. If you are doing both trails, recommend you do Little before Big. Views are awesome.

Sunday, April 03, 2016