Hone Quarry Loop Trail

Hone Quarry Loop Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dayton, Virginia that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, camping, horses, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty overgrown and we were really hoping for some picturesque views which we didn't find. Seemed like there were lots of paths nearby though so next time we would explore those.

More accurate to put 2 1/2 stars. Went mid-late July. Pretty easy hike up. Views were not very good. The path was overgrown. We had to back track at one point because there were so many plants and thorns in the way so we used another trail connected to continue the loop. Also there were no really good places to stop and eat lunch. Took about 3 1/2 hours.

Mediocre trail. Views were not good.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

my wife and I attempted this on 6-25-16. The first 1.25 miles were great, wonderful scenery and a challenging but not too difficult hike. Once you get to the abandoned fire road it became not so fun, we followed the trail but it was completely overgrown with brambles, took us about 45 minutes to go .3 miles. Once you get back to the abandoned fire road the hike is a mix of wide paths with tall wet grass and narrow overgrown brambles that is pretty miserable. We got to the first peak and decided to turn around because our feet were soaked from the wet grass and we didn't want to walk through any more brambles.

I imagine the hike would be more enjoyable in the fall when it's not so overgrown and will probably try it again then. If you go in the spring/summer I'd recomend taking the fire road as soon as you get to it, it'll take you to the same place but you'll avoid the .3 miles of bramble hell or follow the trail and bring a machete.

Friday, June 10, 2016

I took this trail when I was just starting to hike; I remember it being long, steep, and a serious challenge for a beginner, with lots of change in scenery and unpredictable features, lots of rocks. I'm looking forward to visiting it again someday!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Went with my best friend, her mom, and her dog and had a blast!!! We only ran into one group of people and we went when the water falls had some ice in them.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Hiked it with my adult son and our dog. Great hike with awesome views. We had a great time, this is a nice hike - it's got everything I'm looking for: scenic views, challenging elevation changes, streams and solitude. It's apparent that the trail is not regularly maintained though; we hiked it in the fall when no leaves were on the trees and encountered areas that would have been much more challenging and difficult during the summer months when the foliage would be much thicker.

Great trail great day. Black Friday 11/27/15

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

We had a blast on this hike! We are novice hikers so we should've read a little more about this trail before starting out with a 4 year old and a 1 year old in a hiking pack, but it was still a blast! I wouldn't recommend this trail for small children and I definitely would recommend bringing lunch to take a break and rest/rejuvenate! We crossed several streams and there is a little river running next to you almost the whole way. Very scenic minus the area where there has been a controlled burn, it was a little depressing but other than that the hike was gorgeous! We will definitely be doing this one again minus the kiddos!

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Good hike! It is a climb for the first half but not continuously steep. Nice lookout point from a smaller rock slide on the last half of the hike. Shaded for the majority of the hike which was great for a day like today with temps in the 90s in Dayton.

Sunday, December 04, 2016