High Rocks Trail

High Rocks Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wytheville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trailhead was easy to find thanks to AllTrails. There’s no signage for the trail at all, but the path clearly leads away from the parking area. The path follows a stream bed with lots of loose rocks so sturdy shoes makes good sense. The overlook is about 1.4 mikes from the parking area. It was well worth the small amount of exertion. There is another trail that leads away from the overlook, but we didn’t take it. Maybe next time....

Love it!!! Great hike! Short with rewarding views!! Can't wait to go again!

My daughter and I enjoyed this hike on a warm Sunday afternoon. It can be a little challenging going uphill on the rocky trail in one area but when you get to the top, it is well worth all the work. Beautiful!

Fabulous day! Wonderful weather, nice company, great trail. The view at the top is fabulous. A fun Sunday afternoon. And I purchased a fishing license online, thanks to earlier reviews.

You will need an access pass or have a Virgina Hunting or Fishing license

Moderate uphill but downhill felt almost flat. A permit is needed to park in the lot, a ranger told us to get it at https://gooutdoorsvirginia.com but I found it at https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/access-permit/. Thankfully we didn't get a ticket from being out of town but the ranger said they were going to start ticketing people.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Trail was fun for such a short walk...nothing hard, but markings shift to red squares after you get to the overlook (which btw is no way 2.7 miles). I continued on the red squares for a while and it was a gorgeous walk. Fun for a few hours. But I'd like to know what the red square trail is?

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Easy drive and available parking to the starting point. Trail is just challenging enough to make it fun and adventurous. Even in 38 degree weather you break a sweat and get a good workout in getting to the top in which you are then rewarded with an absolutely incredible view of the surrounding landscape. Gives you that, "on top of the world feeling" especially if you dare to stand upright on the tallest rock. Great way to spend about three hours of my morning.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Great hike with some steep spots but the lookout is worth the sweat. Go early so you can spend some time taking in the beauty

Friday, August 12, 2016

Exelaint hike. We made some great memories up there.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

This Hike is very doable even for beginner hikers. We parked at the second parking lot where there is a big sign to the left. The trail is through two big rocks at the parking lot and splits at the beginning. There are no guide signs. Take the left trail where it leads to a beautiful hike through trees and woods. There is such a variety of different plants and mushrooms. It can be exhausting since the trail is steep in some places but with a couple breaks in the shade and plenty of water it's no big deal at all. It's mostly shade the entire way. The lookout at the top is absolutely breathtaking! It's definitely worth the hike and no disappointment at all. The trail does continue but we didn't pass the lookout. I thoroughly enjoyed this trail!

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Pretty views.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Beautiful views, You can see the interstate I-81 on the right from mile marker 75 to the left view going hlF way into Rural Retreat .. it looks really small and wytheville looks like a spec up on these mountains... Great trail!! Deff. Recommend this!!

Saturday, May 07, 2016

great trial.. great views of the Wytheville area.

Monday, February 01, 2016

My 11 year old daughter & I ran this relatively short out & back today with a decent amount of snow on the ground. If I lived near there, I'd run it all the time. Fairly steep in places. Nice short challenge with a great view at the top.

Monday, July 13, 2015

It's a great trail even though it's pretty short. I didn't measure the distance but the climb was a pretty steady steep one and I got a good workout. Not sure I would rate it as easy just because of the grade and I know people who aren't used to hiking would find it to be moderate to difficult. The view at the top is amazing and the trail continues on but I turned around. Not sure where it goes. There is no signage for the trail there to tell you you've made it or where you'll end up if you continue. As far as parking goes, there are two lots. I totally missed the first one and pulled into the second where there is a gate and an access road. You can park there and you'll see a sign through the trees in the other parking lot, head that direction for the the trail head. There is a fork in the trail at the very beginning. Not sure what is to the right but I went with my gut and took a left. The trail takes you down for a bit then turns up to a pretty steep grade most of the rest of the way. It does level out a couple of times.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Great trail, but a little hairy finding the trail head. Meets another trail at its end but it's unclear what the name or destination is of this trail (marked town of wytheville).

Monday, October 13, 2014

beautiful view at the top, very rocky and with all the fall leaves on the trail it made the walk a bit tricky. pretty woods.