High Rocks Trail

High Rocks Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wytheville, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Trail was fun for such a short walk...nothing hard, but markings shift to red squares after you get to the overlook (which btw is no way 2.7 miles). I continued on the red squares for a while and it was a gorgeous walk. Fun for a few hours. But I'd like to know what the red square trail is?

Easy drive and available parking to the starting point. Trail is just challenging enough to make it fun and adventurous. Even in 38 degree weather you break a sweat and get a good workout in getting to the top in which you are then rewarded with an absolutely incredible view of the surrounding landscape. Gives you that, "on top of the world feeling" especially if you dare to stand upright on the tallest rock. Great way to spend about three hours of my morning.

Great hike with some steep spots but the lookout is worth the sweat. Go early so you can spend some time taking in the beauty

Exelaint hike. We made some great memories up there.

This Hike is very doable even for beginner hikers. We parked at the second parking lot where there is a big sign to the left. The trail is through two big rocks at the parking lot and splits at the beginning. There are no guide signs. Take the left trail where it leads to a beautiful hike through trees and woods. There is such a variety of different plants and mushrooms. It can be exhausting since the trail is steep in some places but with a couple breaks in the shade and plenty of water it's no big deal at all. It's mostly shade the entire way. The lookout at the top is absolutely breathtaking! It's definitely worth the hike and no disappointment at all. The trail does continue but we didn't pass the lookout. I thoroughly enjoyed this trail!

Pretty views.

Beautiful views, You can see the interstate I-81 on the right from mile marker 75 to the left view going hlF way into Rural Retreat .. it looks really small and wytheville looks like a spec up on these mountains... Great trail!! Deff. Recommend this!!

great trial.. great views of the Wytheville area.

Monday, February 01, 2016

My 11 year old daughter & I ran this relatively short out & back today with a decent amount of snow on the ground. If I lived near there, I'd run it all the time. Fairly steep in places. Nice short challenge with a great view at the top.

Monday, July 13, 2015

It's a great trail even though it's pretty short. I didn't measure the distance but the climb was a pretty steady steep one and I got a good workout. Not sure I would rate it as easy just because of the grade and I know people who aren't used to hiking would find it to be moderate to difficult. The view at the top is amazing and the trail continues on but I turned around. Not sure where it goes. There is no signage for the trail there to tell you you've made it or where you'll end up if you continue. As far as parking goes, there are two lots. I totally missed the first one and pulled into the second where there is a gate and an access road. You can park there and you'll see a sign through the trees in the other parking lot, head that direction for the the trail head. There is a fork in the trail at the very beginning. Not sure what is to the right but I went with my gut and took a left. The trail takes you down for a bit then turns up to a pretty steep grade most of the rest of the way. It does level out a couple of times.