Hidden Rocks is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Dayton, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Out & Back

flooded

Nice trail until we reached the overflowing stream and was unable to ford the final .3 mile to find the “hidden rocks”. Being seniors we did not risk the crossing. We’ll return next week when hopefully the waters subside. This is a popular short hike and social distancing may be an issue, depending on time of day. Of course late morning/early afternoon hours are peak.

Lovely rocks and waterfall! Totally recommend for a short, but still very fun hike. Would not do if it has rained in the last 2 days. It is not passable with any extra amount of water.

The trail was pretty clear and well marked. Steep in some areas, but fairly easy. Beautiful views of the surroundings mountains and a small waterfall.

One of my personal favorites. Some overgrowth here and there but the trail and easily visible. I preferred to wear hiking boots vs. chacos due to mud and some rocky sections. My dogs love this trail! So beautiful especially when everything is in bloom and usually not overcrowded.

bridge out

This is definitely not an Easy trail. At the least it's a moderate. The scenic part of this is seeing the rocks, which are quite majestic, looking up at them.

we loved this. the rhododendron and the creek make it very scenic. the scramble up to the top of the rock is challenging but short. unlike a previous review, my mother in her 60s would not be able to do it after the scramble and enjoying the view up top, finding the trail loop is slightly challenging as there are no trail markers right there. you have to go half way down the rock again and then veer off on that tiny path. it's clear this section is less hiked and more overgrown but it has the loveliest waterfall and is well worth doing.

Fucked up the recording lmao

Excellent trail. 2nd time I have taken my boys, 7 and 5 years old. Streams to cross, rocks to climb and a overall easy path to follow; this trail offers a lot of great features

Took my dogs here today and enjoyed a nice walk in the woods. There were no views, but the laurels and river were nice. Crossed the river twice each way, which my pups enjoyed. Don’t know that I’d go back given other options in the area, but if I’m in the Dayton or Bridgewater area, and wanted to do something I might.

Was a chilly 28° F hike today with wife and 2 kids (4&7). Trail was very well marked with yellow paint on trees. Leaf cover and acorns made it slippery at times. A couple of downed trees across the trail, one large Pine tree down past the rock overlook heading around the top circle counter-clockwise. With leaves and acorns, it was closer to moderate than easy. There were portions where sitting and sliding on your butt was the safest option. GPS tracked it at 2.91mi.

Beautiful moderate trail. Not much foliage to look at past November 1st. River crossing is beautiful and peaceful. Sadly we didn’t make it to the end because we ran into a bear by the water. Would love tor revisit in the summer months when the flowers are in bloom.

Love the Rocks. Beautiful area to walk. I wouldn't exactly say it is easy. Lot walking on rocks, and the uphill grade is little challenging.

Very nice trail but definitely overgrown in some spots making it difficult to navigate.

This was a great trail. We went when it was dry enough the rivers were passable. There is some small incline sections. My 74 yr old made it up and around to the top of the cliffs. I really want to go back to see the rohdedendreums in bloom. We saw no one which was great. Trails were pretty well maintained. I loved it.!

Nice little trail that I enjoyed with my six year old. He was fine. We went over some very small streams quite easily. We suggest checking out the invertebrate life by flipping over a couple of rocks. The short climb at the end was nice and not hard. Decent view. It would be a great little camping spot except maybe a little too busy? I’d love to see the rhododendrons in bloom!

It was like a rhododendron city with lush canopies as you switchback along the river. It offers a sharp ascent 1.2-1.5m in to a “hidden rock” face loop. It’s harder/slow-paced with young children in tow but a manageable hike (2.5-3hr) if you have enough Turkish delight. NOTE -> you can miss the trail marker to ascend the loop and head NW still following the river trail marker. It’s not well marked at that intersection.

Excellent hike! The waterfall was slow but look forward to hiking in another season. Climbing and viewing from the rocks was unexpectedly beautiful.

The first portion of the hike before the loop is quite an easy and enjoyable hike. The loop portion has quite a few steeps parts that are very overgrown but it's well worth the trip. We hike weekly so it wasn't anything too much for us but I could see it being moderate for people who are just looking for a casual walk hike. The rocks were well worth the hike and it was a nice view on a short hike. Got bit by a giant fly but other than that the bugs weren't terrible.

Beautiful short hike, with lots of little stops.

Great little trail- interesting rock formations, gorgeous stream with plenty of places to dip your feet. The stream crossings were simple, but I could see it getting more interesting after a heavy rain. We were enjoying following the stream so much that when we came to a fork and had the option to head sharply uphill away from the water or turn left and continue following the stream, we turned left. I won’t say this was exactly a mistake, but after 2 miles that took us through some dense trail and up the mountain, we didn’t find the view we were hoping for and returned back to the original trail. I agree parts of this trail are more moderate than easy, but a lot depends on how much you want to play on the rocks once you hit the summit. Either way, a really enjoyable trail.

Sun May 26 2019

I would definitely do this trail again. It was a bit more challenging than we expected but overall a really good time.

Mon May 06 2019

Relaxing hike through the valley. Most of the trail follows a stream, and crosses the stream several times. The overlook has some nice flat rocks where you can sit and relax or hang a hammock