Hickory Hollow Trail

Hickory Hollow Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lancaster, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Most of the trails are wide and very noticeable but others are very narrow and look almost like a deer trail. If you're not paying attention you could get lost. There was quiet a few places to sit and rest, that was nice! I wouldn't go back in the middle of summer because I can imagine there being lots of critters you don't want to run into.

Nice set of trails. The map and blazing will be improved soon. The NN chapter of Virginia Master Naturalists are working on improvements. Hickory Hollow has some rare flora. If you are into geocaching, there are quite a few in the area.

Definitely very overgrown and poorly maintained in spots. There is a spot near the start of the white trail if you go right that has about 50 feet of glass on the trail. Maybe not a problem for humans in proper hiking boots but very scary for dogs. I chose to pick up and carry my 60+ lb dog over it and still worried about her feet. I'm not sure how that much glass came to be on the trail short of some deliberately dumping it there. The trail is poorly blazed at some points but it isn't so bad as to get lost though a few times I questioned if we were on the trail or a deer path until I'd see the next trail blaze. As far as trails go in Lancaster it wasn't half bad and was nice to go somewhere new though I wouldn't go in the summer, you'd get eaten alive by bugs and have to deal with snakes being hard to see. I'd prefer to stick to better maintained trails in the area but I might go back on occasion.

Not a bad trail- mostly woods. Lots of spiderwebs. Some of the trail markings are confusing

Easy, flat trail. There were tree roots in the path but it was well cleared otherwise. To many spiders, I'm pretty sure I was totally covered in spider webs by the end. Not much to look at but trees.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Small network of well blazed trails with some picnic spots, tree markers, and water lookouts.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Nice walk on well-blazed trails. Some elevation changes and a minor amount of water to view, but mostly wooded. Deer flies were relentless!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

This is my favorite kind of trail; small but easy to follow and shaded. It joins the White Trail for over half the loop.

Monday, July 08, 2013

Beautiful forest but not much else The little streams did little. But it was a beautiful day to be in the woods. The trails are very easy to follow. They run in straight lines much of the time and are well blazed.

Monday, August 22, 2016