Learn more

Hickerson Hollow Trail is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Front Royal, Virginia that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 649 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

hot springs

Hike down a horse trail, quite damp although it hadn't rained recently. Made for some nice mushrooms growing and seedlings sprouting up everywhere. A small stream runs alongside it for most of the hike. Ends at a private road.

ok. who ever rates these trails must have a sick sense of humor. this trail is far from easy. steep decline = steep incline. I read the reviews and was prepared. make sure you are, too. not for beginner's who are not in shape. we did a trail last week that is rated as hard, not as steep as this one. also lots of loose rocks and mud. other than the wrong rating though, it's a pretty trail in a thick forest section that follows a small creek. very quiet and peaceful.

Brook all the way down, beautiful trail

MODERATE not easy. Awesome short out and back following a creek down the entire trail which at the end turns into a beautiful little waterfall. This trail is completely downhill the 1.5 in which means it’s completely uphill the 1.5 out. Absolutely no Plateaus, all uphill. I’m a fit 30 year old and I was extremely winded and drenched. Just a warning because you don’t even notice it coming in could be an issue for anyone over 50 as its very rocky too.

I attempted to take this hike, but some of the information in this post seems to confuse Hickerson Hollow with Lands Run. I realized once we got home that we ended up on Lands Run which is a yellow-blaze trail at the left of the parking lot that has a decent-sized waterfall. Hickerson Hollow is across the street from the parking lot. It also has a yellow blaze. There is also a third trail that goes straight above the entrance to the parking lot. It is a lovely single-lane trail through the woods. I believe that one is Dickey Ridge Trail. It has a blue blaze.

Less flora and fauna than nearby trails. Not as many stream crossings. Overall easy trail for kids and small dogs.

Easy trail, more of a walk than a hike! Good for kids and individuals who are less mobile as there is not much of an elevation change.

Nice short trail that follows a couple of small streams. Ends at a private road and is uphill the whole way back. We got about 2.4 miles recorded from the Lands Run parking area. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail, and got to see a really pretty pileated woodpecker on our way back up.

This was a nice, short, easy hike. Needed something to do before horseback riding. No real waterfall to speak of, but there was a nice babbling brook. Uphill on the return trip.

Pretty and glad we did it, but all uphill on the way back.

Sun Jun 30 2019

Nice, easy hike, but I wouldn’t say this has waterfalls as much a stream running over some rocks. Ends at a private road, which you should not go on-signs posted everywhere. Slightly disappointing.

Fri Jun 21 2019

Okay first hike though not a fan of going down (as a new hiker) and having to walk back going up. Two waterfalls close to the Trail. No wildlife spottings and that was very disappointing. It eas nice hearing Happy Creek as I walked. Turn around at the dirt circle or take the fireroad to see a nice, small farm with a horse.

Thu May 09 2019

Nice little trail. Parking is in the right in a small paved lot, trailhead is on the left you have to cross the street. My dog and I enjoyed this hike. Most of the hike has a stream running along side you, sometimes on both sides. The sound of the water was very relaxing while hiking. The trail can be a bit muddy at times. Nothing to worry about if you are wearing hiking boots. The trail is easy to moderate. The only reason I say moderate is because the incline is on the return hike. There is no “cool down” time at the end which I would prefer.

Mon Feb 18 2019

Great easy trail if you want to start backcountry camping. I highly recommend parking at Compton Gap trail if you want to do some winter camping.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Visited on a beautiful summer Saturday and not a single other person was on the trail the entire time. Starts narrow with little rocks and then widens and mellows. Beautiful stream parallels the trail about halfway down. Just past the little bridge at the end to the left was a little double two foot falls into a little pool, maybe 18 inches deep. We lounged on the rocks and dipped into the pool. Cold water. Fun hike! No waterfalls or springs as marked.

Sat Jun 23 2018

This has a tag for hot springs but it doesn’t mention them in the description. Does anyone know if there is hot springs there?

Sun Sep 17 2017

Nice secluded trail. Damp, so lots growing, but I imagine it gets very muddy if it rains.