Hazel Falls and Caves

Hazel Falls and Caves is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sperryville, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A good hike to stretch your legs in the morning. Last 0.2 is very steep. If you have bad knees do not attempt. There are two caves near the falls. One is obvious. The second is closer to the first pool of water. You do have to scramble up a kiosks bit but it is an interesting find.

This was really beautiful. A privilege to see and I only wish I had brought my fly fishing pole. The climb down to and back up from the falls is rather steep, but it’s only .2 miles. The remainder of the trail has rather little in the way of pitch or views. But those falls and caves more than make up for any shortcoming.

Really enjoyed the hike! We went on Sunday April 22nd, and there were still a lot of trees across the trail. While we could go over and under some, there were parts where we had to detour off the trail to get around. PATC trail crews were out working on the trails, and I would expect that they will have the trail cleared sooner than later.

The falls were beautiful, and while it was a steep path down to them (and back up afterwards), it was well worth it.

we were disappointed that the description I'd vague. more hills than thought.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017