Learn more

Hawksbill Summit Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(375)
Shenandoah National Park

Hawksbill Summit Trail is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 672 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: This trailhead is currently closed by SNP and the County for the foreseeable future due to community health concerns— NO parking or road access is available. Please check with the park page for more information. Tallest peak in Shenandoah, nothing to see until summit, then 360 degree view. This trail is steep for nearly the entire hike. You are well inside the tree line for the entire hike, so there is not much to see. Once you reach the byrd shelter the views abound, and just another 100 feet or so, you reach the summit overlook, a beautiful 360 degree view. The NPS has a stone overlook built on the summit, so it's easy to know when you have gotten there. It's a tough walk but worth it. Within an hour you can bag the tallest peak in Shenandoah! There is an alternate version of this hike that is a loop. The hike described in this report is an out an back route.

My friend and I did this hike as part of a day trip involving a loop from Hawksbill Summit to White Oak and Cedar Run Trail canyons. The summit was spectacular. Moderately busy but nothing unreasonable. Definitely a moderate trail as the incline is noticeable (my calves cramped up at first so I would recommend going easy or warming up before beginning the hike). The views are spectacular and the summit is a nice spot to relax, have some lunch, or take photos. I would love to do this trail again in the fall.

Bear fence hike Shenandoah National Park

Short hike with a great view that makes you earn it with a 3/4 mile uphill hike to the summit. I wouldn’t say it’s hard but it’s all uphill and will having you sweating by the time you reach the top. Plenty of space to catch your breath and a great view up top with a special viewing platform as well. Highest point in Shenandoah National Park and worth the climb up.

Don’t let the short distance and low elevation gain fool you. It is the highest peak at the park! You get the best views of the park on this trail! I ended up doing the 3.6 mile loop and views from the top are amazing! And you are at the same levels as the clouds. Did this with my dog and I would rate it as easy as I was able to walk up at my normal pace. We got to the trailhead at 7am on a Wednesday morning and there were 2cars. We finished around 9 after spending a lot of time at the top and the parking lot was full. If you are looking for solitude I suggest you come very early!

recorded Upper Hawksbill Trail

We went up Lower Hawksbill Trail, down Upper Hawksbill Trail, and then took the horsetrail back to the parking lot. It’s was about 3 miles and it was a great hike. Lower Hawksbill was a steeper climb than Upper Hawksbill. The views at the top were great. We spend about 30 minutes at the various overlooks at the top. I would recommend getting there early before the crowds.

Best views in Shenandoah National Park! This trail is short but steep, so it makes for a great workout. It’s an absolute must-see if you’re in the park. Doable for kids and less experienced hikers with lots of breaks. You’ll want to budget time to gawk at the views on the top of the mountain, they’re stunning! Once at the top of the mountain, make sure to go right past the shelter to find a second, slightly higher viewing area.

Beautiful sunset hike, highly recommend as it’s the tallest peak in the park! Steep incline most of the way and there are rocks all across the trail that can be slippery with non-hiking shoes.

A good hike! No service so it shows up just coming down. But going up was most challenging. View is worth it’

Beautiful views! Quite an incline, but doable.

I thoroughly enjoyed this hike & the view at the summit is incredible!

fee

320 REVIEWS. WHAT ARE U WAITING FOR. GO AND JOY LIFE WHILE U STILL CAN

Great trail, my husband and I went with out dog and of course we all love being outdoors. The incline was a great leg workout. It is rocky is some areas going up, but the view is so beautiful. My husband and i will def be going again!!

8 Mar 2020: Great hike coming from Cedar Run, short hike to Summit. Fantastic views from the top.

steep, quick, through the woods with great views at the top. I went back down on the Salamander and Appalachian Trail and enjoyed the scenery that provided.

Short hike with great views!! Recommend bringing a sandwich or snack and enjoying the view for awhile! Little steep most of the way there. Totally doable.

Muddy and steep but worth it for the views.Hiked with both kids, 6 and 10, and had to make a lot of stops, but no real issues. Great hike

Well maintained trail. Easily marked. Wish I had time to take the longer trail to the summit. Short enough hike to get me out of my car and back on the road in 1 hour.

icy

this trail had a well-maintained path up the entire way. i hiked this in the snow so it was pretty slippery in some parts, but still a fun climb