Hawksbill Gap Loop via Appalachian Trail

Hawksbill Gap Loop via Appalachian Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 751 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a short and steep hike with outstanding views at the top. Parking can be a challenge, so it is advisable to get there early.

Great trail and beautiful views. We did it clockwise but if you do it couter clockwise you will get a more gradual slope going up

Saw a hawk. Hope his name is Bill.

Just as everyone said, the view is great and worth it. Clockwise definitely gets the steep side of of the way. The decent, continuing clockwise, has some rocky areas, be careful.

Nice hike with nice views esp at the viewing platform. Added about 1 mile out and back of AT before getting on Salamander trail. Very nice trail. Did it counter clockwise. Clockwise is quite steep to get to the viewing platform.

Went up the steep way (clockwise) and got up to the top in 30 minutes. The view from the top was awesome and you could see all around. There are even compass like pointers that show you all the surrounding mountains. We saw many people hiking counterclockwise as well so if you don’t want it to be as intense I’m sure that would be great too. Pretty windy on top, but was fun!

Great loop to Hawksbill Summit. 360 degree views from the summit. We hiked the loop clockwise finishing with a section of the Appalachian Trail. A few rocky scrambles coming down.

well maintained trail and marked well too.

Awesome. Super steep on the way up but the outlooks at the top were so worth it. Takes about 2 total hours up and back.

This wasn’t that hard of a hike! We went the opposite way of the loop from all trails and I think it was a great decision! Beautiful views at the top and great views along the way.

Nice short hike to a great overlook!

Started the hike around 0945 when we got to the top it was real cloudy and the view wasn’t great. We decided to wait it out and I’m glad we did cause the view was great! Definitely would check it out if you get a chance!

went on a sunny summer day. hit the trail about 11am and had lunch at the summit. we had a scavenger hunt on the way up. recommend AT for the ascent otherwise it's pretty much a mile up hill all the way

I loved it! it is part of the National Park, so you do have to pay or have a pass to get to it. with that said, if you live near the area a pass is definitely worth the money! the park has many beautiful trails, especially this one! it is dog friendly, but if you take the longer route it does have some harder areas for pets to walk through.

I took the advice of another reviewer and went for a sunset hike and I am so thankful that I did! I arrived to the parking area at about 5:30pm to give me plenty of time to hike up in time for a 7:47pm sunset. I took the AT connection/longer trail to get to the summit and at a quick pace, it only took me about 30 minutes to get up which gave me plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, take photos, and eat some snacks ahead of sunset. I went on a Saturday night and there were maybe about 15 people at the summit when I arrived but it thinned out to about 6 for sunset making for a very peaceful moment. It was a bit chilly at the top and got colder as the sun slipped away so make sure you bring layers. Highly recommend to anyone. I live in DC and for anyone who appreciates nature, i believe it was well worth the 2 hour 35 min drive to get out there. Enjoy!!

another great hike at shenandoha

Hawksbill is a wonderful view! from lower hawk it’s a steep incline at start so be ready!

Wonderful walk. I may have done it backwards. Ran into three sets of people hiking with dogs. All very kind.

Chose this as our first hike in the park. We arrived at the parking area around 7:15 and there were only a couple cars there. Took the counterclockwise route doing the AT portion first. Must have been the first ones on this portion of the trail as we had several turkeys fly off of the roost and we also crossed paths with a bear several times. At one point it was only about 30 yards away. Amazing views along the various rocky outcroppings and from the top. Walk down was hard on the knees and I would suggest a hiking pole to save yourself some discomfort. By midafternoon you couldn't find a parking spot so I would suggest going early.