Hawksbill Gap Loop

Hawksbill Gap Loop is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Syria, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great loop. Nice climb with amazing views at the top and then a rocky decent.

You really avoid the crowds by coming up the AT. A few rock scrambles but otherwise straightforward terrain. Summit includes a shelter and a great lookout point. My 6 year old rocked it.

great views and a lot of varying terrain to keep you on your toes

beautiful scenery, plenty of wildlife it's a great hike for the family.

We went the AT trail way and it was awesome. Great views and easier climb.

Beautiful view and well worth the hike. I inadvertently went up the steeper lower hawksbill trail to the top so I was huffing a bit near the top. Took the salamander trail and AT back down which would have been much more gradual. Overall a great way to start a day of hiking at Shenandoah.

Amazing view and hike. My husband and I took the steep trail.. went out of breath a couple of times but it was worth it! :) Beautiful view at the top, everybody should see it!

Definitely a big difference in steepness depending on which way you go. I didn't see as many views on the loop as I'd read about. Maybe too many leaves still on the trees. Great view at the top though for sure.

Its is pretty up there. We took the longer hike than the short but stiff... We had a great time...