Hammond Hollow Trail

Hammond Hollow Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Buchanan, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Directions from Buchanan, VA: Take VA 11 west of Buchanan, turn south onto VA 625. Go 0.8 mile and bear right onto VA 643. Continue 1.2 miles (passing Forest Service G4008 at 1.1 miles) to trailhead at Forest Service 634. This is a gated road and the gate is usually closed.

Couldn't find the trail! Directions sent me to a dead end road at one point. There was an old road that looked like it could have led to it, but was afraid to park anywhere as its a residential area. Ended up hopping back on the highway and going to Wilson mountain trail.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Oh but the way back down was easy all downhill..

Friday, June 14, 2013

This was a peaceful hike. My two kids and myself. We never passed anyone it was up hill wow feel the burn ha ha.. No it's not that bad my pack was a little heavy. I uploaded like 4 or 5 pics. The trail only goes up to the rocks and another trail. There's a flat area for a blanket to picnic. It's ok.. Nice to add it as another check mark done.. But I won't hike it again.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I used this trail to lead me onto the appalacian trail. It's about 1.5 miles and up hill to the AT.