Great Mountains Trail is a 1.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 265 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great Mountains Trail is the entry trail at Patricia Ann Byrom Forest Preserve Park leads to four other trails in the park. Hiking, horses, mountain biking, and dogs on leash.

3 stars for the Great Mountain trail, but go no further! I usually take this trail to the Little Flat Mountain Loop. In the past, I hike a bike up, then head down the hill for a lovely and technical downhill. The hike up is brutal, but usually rewarding. This time out, the trail was almost completely overgrown in some areas, not to mention several trees down. This made biking difficult at best, and hiking just annoying. Further, avoiding ticks will be nearly impossible (found 6 before they got me on the way up alone). The bugs were not too bad, but I had a horse fly that was “encouraging” me to keep moving each time I tried to take a break. This along with ticks and overgrown trail.... that’s a no from me dog, I’m out. Please note that 3 stars is for the short entrance trail, but many people continue on, hints mah rant. PS, there was a guy working on the GMT, so maybe some backup will arrive and take care of the rest? Thank you awesome bulldozer bro!

Hike/Run on 6/1/19. Nice facility with lots of potential and some runable sections. Upper 25-30 percent of most trails is becoming a bit overgrown making it hard to avoid ticks (lower trails were better). Lots of deer flies this time of year but should get better as the summer progresses. Highlight of the day was stumbling on a bear making a feast of wild strawberries...the bear saw me first and ran (I did a much better job announcing my presence after that!). Overall, I'll definitely return later in the year.

Monday, February 26, 2018

Short but steep, great view at that top, well maintained just watch out for horse droppings! Will definitely do again!

Saturday, September 01, 2018