Great Falls Loop Trail

Great Falls Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near McLean, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

whitewater kayaking

National Park Service 703-285-2965

fun beginner trail for family with teenagers

Easy to moderate, lots of course options given your mood. Dog friendly. Gorgeous views with little effort

This is an awesome trail with many scenic spots along the way. It will test your scrambling and hill climbing abilities with many rocky sections and meandering ascents. Lots of sandy and wide sections in the lowland along Difficult Run. Some areas along the River Trail portion follow a high, rocky ridgeline with sections nearly impossible to run for a novice scrambler. Lots of fun throughout! I'll be back.

This is my go-to trail when I'm at home. It provides a nice mix of terrain with a tree canopy for hot days. The changing foliage makes the trail feel brand-new with each passing season. My favorite segment is the River Trail with its fantastic views of the Potomac River and MD side along rocky cliffs. I like to go early in the morning with my coffee and a breakfast treat, sit on a ledge, and take in the river sounds. Once, I even got to witness the resident bald eagle. On weekend mornings, you often get to watch kayakers and rock climbers along the river too. Speaking of weekends... Great Falls gets packed by 10am, no matter the season. So try to arrive by 9am on weekends to avoid a long line into the park and parking hassles.

You nice walk. Very easy and fun rocks to climb on. Cool crevices to climb down. Fun for kids.

I hiked this trail alone this winter when the temp was 23 degrees. My usual hiking partner was on the disabled list with a broken foot though it's highly unlikely she would have joined me under those conditions. It was beautiful then and equally beautiful this Summer especially with my wife along. The additional foliage did obscure some views and we were a little late for wild flowers. Nevertheless Great Falls is one of my favorite places and I'm glad it's practically in my back yard.