Great Falls Loop: River, Ridge, CCT, and Swamp Trails

Great Falls Loop: River, Ridge, CCT, and Swamp Trails is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near McLean, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

$10 entrance fee This trail is a lot of fun. Lots of rock scrambles, optional side trails, and a ton of gorgeous views. Lots of people there with kids, baby carriers and dogs! As others have noted, the park gets very, very busy so you should go as early as you can.

Fun 4.6 mile trail. The swamp and ridge part of trail has a lot of tree cover and stays cooler even during summer days. The river side of the trail is rugged and can get hot due to comparatively less tree cover.

Good trail but you can easily add more distance by adding additional trails. The swamp trail is nice because I rarely see anyone else on it. It is perfect for avoiding all the crowds of the towpaths.

This is probably my favorite hike in Great Falls Park. A ton of diversity and enough mileage to make you feel like you accomplished something. It feels different with each season, so if you’re a local, try this trail year around. It also (for some reason) feels different clockwise vs. counterclockwise, so give that a go as well!

amazing

Great little park to explore. 10 dollar entrance fee but you do get it for 3 days. The waterfalls are amazing. It’s a must see.

This was such a pretty hike! it's not at all difficult. great place to take people.

Nice and easy local hike. The views of the waterfalls are pretty awesome.

Great trail. Some rocky areas, very easy hike.

Great trip with the dog a little hairy in some spots so be careful.

Several areas were blocked (I’m assuming because of recent storms) but this trail was fun for my girls! Not a trail for younger kids or strollers....some areas are quite close to rock cliffs. The trails were a little difficult to navigate in some areas but blue paint on the trees helped us to stay on track. The app was also a great guide tool.

I went on this trail as a brand-new-to-Great-Falls person and was expecting a walking trail. The River Trail is DEFINITELY a hiking trail that requires frequent use of your hands for navigating hills and over rocks, and includes very steep inclines that will leave inexperienced hikers (like myself) out of breath and physically strained. You will spend most of your time looking at the ground to watch your footing and very little time enjoying the beautiful scenery around you. Early March 2018, there were downed trees on the trail that were difficult to pass without being extremely nimble. A wet patch of mud on a slope caused me to tumble; I cut my palm on a rock trying to break my fall. I do not recommend this trail after any amount of rain. I cut this trail short and took a shortcut over to the Old Carriage Trail, which can be classified as a walking trail... very smooth and only slight inclines.

This park was listed as an Audubon Hotspot for birding year-round but we hardly saw any birds at all (early March). We saw the most birds near the parking lot (and just common birds). Disappointing.

This was a much better hike than I expected it to be. I’ve been to Great Falls Park a number of times to look at the falls but wasn’t aware that there was a loop with some elevation and rocky parts and more challenge than I expected. It was also beautiful - a warm winter mid-week day with few people and great views through the bare trees. I highly recommend it for a good hike close to downtown DC.

amazing as good as it gets beautiful waterfalls

Great walk along the river, old carriage road great for running as well

I've done every trail on the VA and MD side. MD is usually less crowded. I would say every trail is dog friendly but if you have a small dog there are some places you will need to carry them. I love Great Falls because how how versatile the trails are regardless if you want hard or easy, water or forest.

I hiked this a couple times. We hiked along the river and it’s a pretty easy hike. If you’re trying to cross the river in some parts the rocks are very slippery and not sturdy. I definitely fell down one time trying to be too adventurous. Beautiful! We saw people in the canoeing in the water. Water stream is very intense!

very easy hike

Very good hiking place one way in the wood with return along the river. See people across the river in MD side. Only very small portion with slopes going up, and most of the trail is easy to moderate level. Very pleasant hiking place!

This trail is a lot of fun. Lots of rock scrambles, optional side trails, and a ton of gorgeous views. Lots of people there with kids, baby carriers and dogs! As others have noted, the park gets very, very busy so you should go as early as you can. We left the park at 11am and there was a line of cars that was well over a mile long waiting to get in. When we arrived at 9am there was no line at all.

Lovely hike, took us close to 2 hours. River trail to Ridge trail to Difficult Run trail and then follow signs back to visitors center. We started at 8am on a Sunday and saw just a handful of people along the way.

place to visit again

fun beginner trail for family with teenagers

Easy to moderate, lots of course options given your mood. Dog friendly. Gorgeous views with little effort

This is an awesome trail with many scenic spots along the way. It will test your scrambling and hill climbing abilities with many rocky sections and meandering ascents. Lots of sandy and wide sections in the lowland along Difficult Run. Some areas along the River Trail portion follow a high, rocky ridgeline with sections nearly impossible to run for a novice scrambler. Lots of fun throughout! I'll be back.

This is my go-to trail when I'm at home. It provides a nice mix of terrain with a tree canopy for hot days. The changing foliage makes the trail feel brand-new with each passing season. My favorite segment is the River Trail with its fantastic views of the Potomac River and rocky cliffs on the MD side. I like to go early in the morning with my coffee and a breakfast treat, sit on a ledge, and take in the river sounds. Once, I even got to witness the resident bald eagle. On weekend mornings, you often get to watch kayakers and rock climbers along the river too. Speaking of weekends... Great Falls gets packed by 10am, no matter the season. So try to arrive by 9am on weekends to avoid a long line into the park and parking hassles.

Friday, July 21, 2017

You nice walk. Very easy and fun rocks to climb on. Cool crevices to climb down. Fun for kids.