Grayson Highlands State Park Trail

Grayson Highlands State Park Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mouth of Wilson, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

scenic driving

Grayson Highlands State Park (276) 579-7092 829 Grayson Highland Lane Mouth of Wilson, VA 24363

$7 fee for none VA residents to get into the park. There's also the pinnacle trails at the visitors center. Parked at Massie Gap parking.

Love this place! Seeing the wild ponies makes it even better ❤

favorite place to hike!

This was a wonderful trail! I went all the way to the summit of my. Rodgers, the highest point in Virginia! Out and back this was an 8 mile trail. For seasoned hikers it is a moderate. I completed in 4 hours

Beautiful

I LOVE IT HERE!!! BEAUTIFUL SCENERY ..AND THE WILD PONIES IS JUST A GREAT BIG BONUS! COMING UP THIS MAY FOR MY BIRTHDAY

This is a very beautiful place!! I was hooked the first time I got to backpack there.. love the wild ponies!! heading back for my birthday this spring

Magical backcountry! Most of the trails in this park are moderate to difficult. I would not bring or hike with anyone that (dogs) that you cannot lift over large boulders. I hiked from Massie Gap on the AT/Rhodedendron, then looped back via a horsetrail during summer solstice. Good water sorces in most places. It rained the first 1-2 days, but after that nice and sunny. Still cold at night 40s-50s.

Sweet views! Parked at Massie Gap and looked down as I climbed up. A lot of people with dogs and kids were all out. The horses were out, one was in labor. SoBo on the AT was very quiet. Lots of rocks both ways. Mt. Rogers way was steep and big rocks, while SoBo was just rocky. Go to the visitor center up the mountain. There are more trails up there. Awesome place to just sit and chill!

Absolutely beautiful place! Definitely going back as I only hiked one trail (Rhododendron) and that barely scratched the surface. I want to camp here! GH has something for every hiker, every level but what sets this heavenly place apart from none other is the horses. Come on...it's what we all go for!

We did a section of this hike and combined it with another, longer route. Beautiful views, wild ponies, interesting terrain. Route is clearly marked most of the time. Our dog loved it.

Great hike with a different terrain than most nc/va hikes. Can be very windy on the open highlands in late October.

Wow. My friend has talked about this place for the last several years. I finally made my way to VA, and completely understand why she loves it so very much. It is incredibly beautiful. I did not find the trail especially difficult. We saw the feral ponies, which was quite a treat. Unfortunately, I also witnessed people feeding the ponies, which is strictly prohibited.
I enjoyed very much climbing on some of the rock formations. The panoramic views during the middle of October are amazing!

This was our second AT 1 nighter after Carvers Gap in TN 2 weeks ago. I didn't think anything could beat the view but this was simply amazing. A little tougher but worth it! We saw about 10 wild ponies and 50+ Cattle (long horn) in the Trail. 5 stars and worth doing! Started at the backpackers overnight parking lot and headed AT Spur Trail to the AT north. Camped at "the Scales". Followed the AT north to "pine mountain trail" then back on AT north. 13 total miles.