Government Island Trail

Government Island Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stafford, Virginia that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

cave

hot springs

GOVERNMENT ISLAND PARK TODAY Now a natural park preserve and archaeological site, Government Island contains a trail and interpretive signs to help depict its rich, nationally significant history. The first portion of the trail is paved, the second segment is a wooden boardwalk over the tidal creeks, and the third section is a natural hiking trail (footpath) around the island. The total length of the trail is approximately 1.5 miles (from the parking lot, to and around the island, and back). [Note: The first two portions of this trail leading up to the edge of the island, which include some interpretive signs, are handicap accessible. The footpath on the island consists of uneven ground, covered with a bed of mulch.] In addition to the history interpreted at this site, Government Island is an ideal location to observe aquatic and native plants, as well as birds and other wildlife.

Just getting in to trail running. Short loop is good to start with for me.

Easy and small trail, good for family with kids nice boardwalk.

easy, lots of dog walkers, joggers, hillbilly fishing, historical, all in less than 2 mile

Well kept. Nice short trail.

Went with my 2 dogs, not a hard trail, but long enough to wear them out! Beautiful bridge, and lakes to take pictures of. I can't wait to go back during the summer and see all the green trees!:) Downside- Lots of people so parking was tough and the dogs got distracted with everyone. Also no poop bags can along the way so I carried one for the entire trail. |:

Starts with a nice paved path thru woods to unpaved trail loop with beautiful views of Aquia creek. The cut limestone boulders were fun for kids to climb and the area is clean and well preserved. Only complaint was the high volume of traffic on this trail.

Excellent length when I have to hike with my 4 yr old. The kids love climbing up to the limestone cliffs. Super easy hike with views of Aquila creek. Quite a bit of traffic due to its proximity to town.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Great trail to just take for a nice easy walk.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

My family just started our trail and hiking as a family adventure and we opted for this trail as #1.
i wanted something short and easy for the girls age 9 and 14 . Personally I am a hiker and love the more challenging routes however this location was the best choice. the girls loved the historic facts and scenery even in the cold lol.
it is a trail for all skill level. It was ideal traffic...we encountered a few dog owners and couple joggers and a few walkers. We will definitely bring our dogs there to check it out.
it is close 2 our home so definitely a place i will go there.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Beautiful trail

Sunday, September 25, 2016

The kids love this place. It's a very easy hike for short legs.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Great well trafficked trail that is kid and puppy friendly!

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Awesome!!!!! My kids... My dog... We loved it!

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Beautiful walk with the family! We did some geocaching while we were there and had a great time! Lots of wildlife to be seen and hiking to be done. Will definitely bring the family back to explore again!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Great walk for a family, dogs...or both!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Took the kids (both 4) was fine for them. Paved path to wooden walkway over the marsh to the island loop. Kids had a blast and nice easy hike. Only con was that it was fairly crowded. You wont be alone out there. The Stafford county website has a map that shows the location of the quarries on the island (added as a Helpful Link)

Saturday, May 17, 2014

fun for a short trail.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

One of the best trails for an after work walk. This trail has never been very crowded when I went and is a great little walk for the evenings with nice sunsets accross the water and clear paths.

Monday, April 29, 2013

A nice short hike right off the highway. We did this on the way up late yesterday. The quary was interesting. It is beautiful spring and this trail was a nice place to be.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Nice walk today--- being in the 60s in January... Level, you can see rocks where they quarried. for the Capitol building & all... views of river.... Ergets.. more of a walk than a HIKE... however noteworthy for a quick walk with babies ot dogs... 1.5 miles