Gibson Gap Trail is a 9.4 mile loop trail located near Ewing, Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,322 feet Route Type: Loop

Great day hike !

Sat Jun 15 2019

Sat May 18 2019

I love this place. Many things to see.

Sat May 18 2019

Southeastern Kentucky Hikers event. We had nine hikers. The trail was very green, and full of nature. The highlight of the trail is Skylight Cave. We had absolutely no issues (no snakes, no falls, and I personally didn't have any ticks.) The trail was over grown in areas and it was impossible to avoid contact with weeds, etc. Difficulty: I rate it as moderate. There wasn't anything that the average hiker could not do, but it does have a lot of elevation and it is long. Make sure you bring enough water! Parking: We parked in a parking lot and hiked the 0.8 mile Colson Trail to get to Gibson Gap Trail. There was plenty of parking in that parking lot. Will I hike it again: YES. Overall it was a great trail, but I will hike this trail during the colder months to maximize the view from the ridge line. And also to minimize contact with ticks and weeds.

beautiful long trail. lovely hike up with some challenge on the climb. vViews up top left something to be desired. Skylight cave is definitely a highlight.

Tue Feb 26 2019

Beautiful late February hike after a very soggy winter. We did the loop counterclockwise, which I recommend. It gets almost all of the climbing out of way (which is great exercise by the way) leaving a shallow decent along the Ridge Trail and finishing with a steep decent down the Lewis Trail past Skylight Cave. The cave has been open in the past for exploring but was temporarily closed while we were there because of the bat white-nose disease.

Sun Feb 04 2018

A great hike,Hoss and I hiked around 12 miles starting on the Gibson trail,which had a great climb.We went up on the ridge trail which was a winter wonderland,very beautiful!! Then we came off at Star light cave which was beautiful!!

Wed Nov 15 2017

A good walk in the woods. Steep climb up and very steep coming down.

Thu Jun 20 2019