Learn more

Gap Run Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paris, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 695 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: As of April 30, 2020 map has been rerouted.

This was definitely an old route. I made a right on the North Ridge Trail to the Piedmont Overlook Trail and back down. Nice loop and happy I got the chance to check out a trail I haven’t been on before. Gap Run is all uphill, not rocky.

The map is incorrect on AllTrails. Perhaps years ago Gap Run Trail ran somewhere else, now it’s more away from the falls. So, follow my direction. This was a wildflower hike and there were some beautiful ones today. I really enjoyed it!

I like hiking to Piedmont Overlook via Gap Run Trail. Plan to explore other trails at Sky Meadow soon.

Wed Aug 22 2018

Gap Run is an ok trail, and you can make it a bigger loop by adding the north ridge (a little more difficult) and then back on south ridge to Boston Mill Rd. However, you get better views by simply doing the Piedmont Overlook trail.

Sun Jul 09 2017

We completed the trail near the end of our loop with the Piedmont Overlook and North Ridge Trails. We enjoyed the sounds of the flowing stream as we descended through the woods. However, my favorite portion of the trail was when it emerged to striking rolling meadow views framed by wonderful summer cloud formations and lots of beautiful wildflowers.

Sun Jul 10 2016

Took this as an alternative route to Piedmont Overlook. It offered nice shade on a 92 degree day, but it lacked the views you get on the approach up the Piedmont loop trail. Still a nice walk in the woods, though.

Sun Jan 10 2016

Other than being listed in the wrong park, this is a nice walk.

Mon Jan 04 2016

This trail is in Sky Meadows State Park, not Shenandoah National Park. It starts behind the visitor center on 710. Take it to the Snowden Loop Trail.

Tue Mar 19 2019