Furnace Mountain Trail

Furnace Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Scenic trail. But definitely one of the more difficult ones that I have been on. The trail is rocky and a constant incline.

Nice trail with a rock on the summit! Had service on the path which is always nice

Fun hike - challenging for me but doable! Great day- had lizard and bear action. Drank all my water at the top but the trip down was fast.

I enjoyed the trail and summit very much. I completed it twice even. it has wild life encounters and a nice waterfront to start you off and end you well. It gets rocky at points but my senior dog and I managed just fine. we are not regular hikers and were able to handle this trail with moderate speed.

when I travel that trail it was full of bear poop and blueberry's you can see Austin mountain and skyline drive from the top

Hiked this today and it was cloudy and cool! Great hike, though it is a bit rocky! I had never hiked before and this was definitely a good start! Would recommend following the trail marks from Shenandoah, this park map isn't accurate. Also parking was a little confusing, it is in front of a chained-off private property. Overall loved it, definitely will go back.

Monday, August 01, 2016

I've edited the description to better reflect the facts: "Furnace Mountain Trail is a 3.4 mile low traffic trail located in Shenandoah National Park that is very steep and rugged and is rated as strenuous. The trail is accessible year round, and runs between Madison Run Road and Trayfoot Mountain Trail. Furnace Mountain is so named because of the Mt. Vernon Furnace located on Madison Run (not to be confused with the one in PA) which was used to process iron ore from circa 1830-1880." I hiked this trail yesterday as part of a circuit beginning on Skyline Drive at Browns Gap parking area; Madison Run Road - Furnace Mountain Trail plus a trip to the summit which adds nearly 1 total mile to the hike - Trayfoot Mountain Trail - Appalachian Trail, total distance by GPS is 12.2 miles for the circuit.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Great technical trail on the left about a mile in. I ran 4 miles up hill then 4 miles back down the same trail due to a bear. Fitbit says 178 floors. Mile 2 to 3 is majority rocks. Great run plenty of snakes, poison ivy, only 1 bear.

Definitely go back again for a for good technical rock running.

Friday, April 15, 2016