Furnace Mountain Trail

Furnace Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grottoes, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

25 minutes ago

Great fall hike for the wife and I. Nice beams of sunlight peaking through this morning. Came down the mountain a lot quicker than expected.

We did this as part of a loop circuit starting at the Blackrock Summit parking area, down the AT, left around the ridge through the rock slides and down to Browns Gap fire road. From there after the creek crossing the Furnace Mtn. Trail is a long 1100' mile and a half constant uphill to a left turn that takes you another 200' elevation gain in a half mile to a tight overlook at the top of Furnace Mountain. The spot fills up at lunchtime on the weekends as it is a good picnic destination with a great 120 degree view [trees on both sides]. While we enjoyed this part of the hike, the Blackrock Summit was much more spectacular and gives you much more bang for your effort. Still, it's less crowded than Blackrock and gives you a great workout.

steep incline...take breaks cause of the slippery slates..view at the summit is so relaxing and peaceful...still had phone service to stream friends live

Nice trail with a rock on the summit! Had service on the path which is always nice

Fun hike - challenging for me but doable! Great day- had lizard and bear action. Drank all my water at the top but the trip down was fast.

I enjoyed the trail and summit very much. I completed it twice even. it has wild life encounters and a nice waterfront to start you off and end you well. It gets rocky at points but my senior dog and I managed just fine. we are not regular hikers and were able to handle this trail with moderate speed.

when I travel that trail it was full of bear poop and blueberry's you can see Austin mountain and skyline drive from the top