Fridley Gap Trail

Fridley Gap Trail is a 15 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elkton, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

While we had fun on this hike, the terrain varied like our emotions on the hike. The actual trail begins at the trail head of Boone’s Run which lead to some confusion. The trail is hard terrain and requires boots as it has insane changes in elevation, but amazing views and water scenery. There is no parking except on the street or by a shooting range.

You'd never know somebody could be so happy finding a trail. About a year ago this time last year, I entered the Kaylor's Knob (or Ridge) Trail at the Massanutten overlook in the afternoon for what I thought would be an out and back short run, having never been on the trail before. Well it was a little late in the afternoon and all I had on were my running shorts and a tee shirt. Somehow I missed the "end" of Kaylor's Knob and never turned around. I thought I was doing a big circle, but little did I know I was just going farther and farther north into the woods. It finally got too dark for me to see safely, so I sat on the little path, (prayed a little that it wouldn't rain) and spent the night shivering in the woods. Why didn't I call someone? - I was "that guy" in this case - no phone on me! as I thought I would be back at the overlook in no time. At 6:23 a.m. the next morning (I remember the time precisely) I started off again. It was only about 25 minutes later I came across some overnight campers that were camping not too far from the path entrance off of Airey Lane. The park rangers who picked me up said they help find about one hiker a month, but I was the farthest from where I had entered from anybody in a long long time! So anyhow, I've been searching for this path (I'm not from the area) a couple times I've been back and yesterday I finally found it! I had never asked the park rangers where it was they picked me up - I just kept searching the maps and I knew it was a long way from Massanutten . I would do it all over again - but next time will be much more prepared. Thanks for reading - I loved the path btw. I'm not sure what the section after Kaylor's Knob is called heading towards Fridley Gap, I think it called Second Mountian Trail , but there were some pretty knarly paths and dangerous slopes and rock formations. If you get a chance and are in up for it - go for it!

Monday, February 27, 2017

Lots of different trails and variations. Okay view wherever we ended up in 30 minutes. Great river rock scramble and rock scrambling up to our view

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

so many great options for different hikes. certainly my favorite in Virginia. It doesn't have to be any close to 15 miles to see plenty of beauty.

Monday, November 07, 2016

know it like the back of my hand a home away from home

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Went around 4/5pm and started on the loop and set up camp off the trail before sundown. It was a gorgeous view from where I was. Woke up early the next morning and finished down the other side to the gravel fire road, I think it was called something "bear" road, it's been a couple years so my memory isn't so sharp. But my hike turned into a 22 mile hike overnight and it was the greatest experience I have ever been on.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Completed loop trail from Camp Overlook area on 2.20.2016. A nice 1/2 day hike.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Tried to go yesterday and there were hunters everywhere!! Is that normal for George Washington forest?

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Explored many times with camp horizons day hikers and backpackers. Love it! Good swimming hole about 1.5 mi in, and wild blueberries just a short side hike up to the ridge.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

This was my first trek in George Washington National Park. Very well marked orange purple orange trail loop & very technical with eleven stream crossings. I loved it!

Saturday, November 08, 2014

very nice trail. Exelent views.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Fridley Gap was my childhood forest playground. Everytime I go there I feel nostalgia. Fridley Run and Boone Run are absolutely beautiful to hike along and through. The three mountains on the trail each have amazing views and the side trails leave extra adventure waiting for you to take them. Check out thr swimming hole and what I call the pyramids (rock formation in one of the Runs, that looks like the side of a step pyramid). I highly recommend this hike.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Incredible! Intense inclines/declines, trail narrow and rocky in places, wonderfully secluded.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

One of my favorite training hikes.

Sunday, April 02, 2017