Fridley Gap Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Elkton, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,687 feet Route Type: Loop

There are two different entrance points for this trail. This map leaves from the main trailhead at Boone's Run and is about a 3 mile hike in before hitting the loop. If you wish for a shorter trek, start your hike from the end of Airey Road at Fridley Gap.

Magnificent trail along the gin-clear creek. Small waterfalls, beautiful forest setting amongst laurels, pines and deciduous. A little wet in areas where springs cross the trail. Well marked. Swimming hole is a bonus!

11.32 miles according to my Garman watch not a bad hike pretty easy I thought but may very for you.

Awesome trail. About halfway through the loop, the blazes changed to flags on trees (maybe I missed the blazed trail?) and I was in the very middle of the loop according to the map. It met back up with the blazes eventually, though, and was a lovely ramble!

We hiked the short version starting out from the Fridley Gap Trailhead. My favorite section of the hike was before we even started on the loop, which was the swollen Mountain Run along Fridley Gap Trail. I can see the appeal of just camping out in this early section. After that the views were mediocre, but had a little of everything from vista views of the I-81 corridor and a few more stream. The blooming wildflowers did make the most unremarkable sections more enjoyable. For full details and a short video of our hike see: https://travel2walk.com/2020/05/30/virginia-hikes-fridley-gap-loop-may-23-2020/

Snakes

I highly recommend this trail!! I could adventure back here everyday!! It is a moderate hike that follows a stream, you have some nice small waterfalls and water holes for swimming, a few camping locations! It is moderately traveled but very dog friendly!!!

Not great. Unrelentingly rocky. Went clockwise and while the stream was nice the climb up 419 was brutal. Would have been decent it wasn’t so rocky, had to play closer attention to avoid ankle twists which took away from outdoor enjoyment.

good hike. a little rough in spots with steep hills and loose rocks

Trail is very rocky & crosses river several times, so come prepared with waterproof boots/socks & fresh ankles. If your dog loves water this will be great, otherwise not for you. There’s a shelter about a third of the way which has a latrine & places to rest your head if necessary.

I would recommend going up the road about 2 miles... there is a trail that gets you to Fridley Gap more directly. If you take the trail where the sign “Boone’s Run” is... the trail is MUCH longer than stated on the app. The sheer length of the loop makes it more strenuous than stated too! Good workout thou!

This trail was a good workout and the stream is nice. I did it in reverse because I was confused by the orange blazes in the original direction.

we actually parked further up, did a total of 7+miles and took a little detour and decided to follow ribbons that cut thru the middle of the actual trail that followed creek. always nice making your own way sometimes.

Not an exciting hike by any means. No real sights to see and extremely rocky. Another downside is walking on a fire road two separate times. It can also get a little confusing the midway point on which direction to take due to all the side trails for the camping sites. Three stars for the workout.

trail was well blazed. no great sights to see.

Sat May 04 2019

Fri Apr 12 2019

My dog and I did this loop trail on Friday. We didn’t see a single other person during the entire hike. It was a nice! It was right around 10 miles for entire lollipop. I parked on the side of the gravel road and had no issues. I wasn’t expecting so much elevation change, so the hike was unexpectedly challenging. The elevation changes are long, intense and strenuous but rewarding. Lots of stream crossings as well, which the dog loved. We started in a light drizzle, but it was mostly dry for the rest of the hike. It started raining pretty steadily during the last 2 miles but it was fun playing with my dog for the last stretch. Hike was lovely. Would love to go back and explore the area some more.

recorded Fridley Gap Trail