Fountainhead Trails

Fountainhead Trails is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairfax Station, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Here is the Fountainhead Regional Park Website : https://www.novaparks.com/parks/fountainhead-regional-park The Fountainhead Mountain Bike Trails Map : https://www.novaparks.com/sites/default/files/maps/FountainheadMBTMap.pdf

I’ve only ever been mountain biking here, which was strenuous for the non-experienced person. But I could see how hiking/trail running would be an awesome time!

Nice trails and obstacles to enjoy while hiking or trail running! I enjoy these trails!

The blue trail was well marked. It has enough up and down hills to make your workout in your cardio zone.

Heart pumping climbs, steep descents and plenty of recovery straightaways in between. Primarily wooded views with creaks and occasional ponds. My wife and I enjoyed a 6 mile hike today and look forward to trying another direction next time.

(No Dogs - Which I love and have) See Fountainhead Regional Park Map and various entry signs : https://www.novaparks.com/sites/default/files/maps/FountainheadMBTMap.pdf

This a multi loop trail primarily intended for Mountain Biking, which I also enjoy.

Just look for the trail to start in the parking lot behind you. There is no loop. You walk til you want to turn around. Difficulty​ level hard.

Nice hike for the family - we hiked for about 90 minutes and encountered 1 or 2 mountain bikes on the trail- both extremely friendly. Went out on a Sunday morning around 9:30 and the trail was quiet but got busier on the walk back. Pretty easy with a few hills, no views. Good for a really hot day because the sun barely shines thru the tree cover.

Inaccurate description. This trail is for mountain biking only, not walking/hiking.

Nice mountain trail but not very scenic.

Excellent ride with terrific views. Don't attempt riding without mountain bike. Recommend no younger than very experienced 8 year old.

nice

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Great trails

Monday, January 16, 2017

Great trail for a good hike, not too hard but you'll get a good work out in. I went with my dog and he loved it and even drank from the stream.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Had a great time! Would be perfect for trail running.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Beautiful park and trails. walked the bull run trail. saw trail head for one of the other trails but not sure where to pick up and walk other trails.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Not that good anymore. it's been transformed into a "bike park". All machine built, no natural hand cut singletrack. Over ridden, many sections are rippled with stutter bumps. This once was a great place to ride, now it's only convenient.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great trail, but your map needs work. They have three trail on the main mountain bike trail they are green, blue and black. This is due to your skill level. Your Map should show the different trails. To do the Green and blue trail it is about 6 miles of hard riding.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

This trail should be rated moderate to difficult. Fountainhead is a challenging trail set in the forest, with sometimes difficult markers to follow. The terrain is diverse. Sometimes easy to walk, with areas where one should follow caution and definitely keep eyes to the ground. This is the perfect trail to take if you are a beginning to intermediate hiker looking for a trail to test your agility. This was my very first hike, and probably not the best trail to kick off my tenure. I hit the wall at mile seven and had to be "guided back." Be sure to have a hearty breakfast before hiking here, bring PLENTY of water (preferably a camel pack), and make sure to take breaks. The trail can go up to 12 miles if you hike to the marina and back. Be sure to look for the blue markers as it is easy to get caught up in the forest foliage/fauna and lose site of markers. We've decided to come back in the fall and challenge ourselves by going the 12 miles. Have fun on it, but be prepared!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Beautiful. Shady. Perfect.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

My first bike ride in 8 years in this park. I am a beginner all over again and I will say Fountainhead was a experience that had me take my training wheels off my bike and get down on the terrain. I learned quickly to come prepared. Totally fun and worthwhile.