Fountainhead Mountain Bike Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(223)
Fountainhead Regional Park

Fountainhead Mountain Bike Trails is a 10.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fairfax Station, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,066 feet Route Type: Loop

Trees down, unstable trees, loads of downed trees. Overall good trail.

Pretty, windy hike with nice water views - nicely quiet when hiked here in late afternoon

Did green and blue today. Just getting back into MTB. This is a great trail. Started with doing green only for a couple of rides. There is no relaxing anywhere. The ups are tough. The downs are bumpy with some obstacles thrown in periodically. Total blast. I definitely felt an accomplishment riding the blue.

private property

Great trail! Road the green and blue loops. Learned on the way that I don’t have the skill set to tackle the black loop yet. Being in my 40’s I know when I’m in too far beyond my abilities. No need to hike out with a broken bike or bone. Lots of rollers, good switch backs to keep the climbs manageable. Several well built drops and a couple man made steps as well as natural steps. Great way to spend a morning.

simple trail

The absolute best trail in the local area, hands down

Nice trails. I want to check it out again in the Fall. Enjoyed the kayaking, too. I wish they offered SUPing as well.

Thu Apr 11 2019

Lots of fun, especially in the fall with the leaves changing. Somewhat challenging terrain to run on, but well-marked trails.

Thu Aug 30 2018

man we did this hike and got totally turned around! Beware there are two trails! We were hiking for a couple of hours before we ran into a horseman who told us there was no loop and we needed to turn around!

Mon Apr 30 2018

love this park. I both hike and mtb here. If you have not been here the trails on other side of parking lot are mtb only single track single direction offering varing degrees of difficulty. although it has a beginner section it is neither easy or flat. Call the park before pYblanning to ride as they do close mtb section if wet. The blue trail off parking lot is mixed use and a excellent hiking or biking trail, particular if mtb course is closed. All in all my favorite local park for hiking and mtb.

Mon Apr 23 2018

This was a decent hike, but the trail is specifically for Mountain Biking, and you will be reminded of that fact by several of the bikers you encounter along the way. If you're not deterred by confrontation and insist on hiking it anyways, I'd recommend hiking the loop in reverse so you can see oncoming traffic in advance to yield the path to them. I would also recommend bringing a bag to pick up trash as you go to at least do a service to the park in exchange for being in an area where you really aren't supposed to be.

Thu Apr 12 2018

great hike!

Fri Apr 06 2018

best place to walk/run. lots of hills but worth it to work out with your legs . i enjoyed it . i love running there because it’s not one plain ground . this park have a lot of hills and turns and it keep yourself more busy and thinking . sorry, no dogs allowed which really sucks :( love hearing so many noises especially the birds chirping! i highly recommended to go 11/10

Sun Apr 01 2018

These trails are DOPE. Some of the favorite that I've run in the US. Must do for ridiculous turnbacks, curves, bunny hills and wood bridges.

Thu Jan 25 2018

I’ve only ever been mountain biking here, which was strenuous for the non-experienced person. But I could see how hiking/trail running would be an awesome time!

Thu Jan 04 2018

Nice trails and obstacles to enjoy while hiking or trail running! I enjoy these trails!

Tue Dec 19 2017

The blue trail was well marked. It has enough up and down hills to make your workout in your cardio zone.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Heart pumping climbs, steep descents and plenty of recovery straightaways in between. Primarily wooded views with creaks and occasional ponds. My wife and I enjoyed a 6 mile hike today and look forward to trying another direction next time.

Wed Jul 26 2017

Mon Jul 17 2017

(No Dogs - Which I love and have) See Fountainhead Regional Park Map and various entry signs : https://www.novaparks.com/sites/default/files/maps/FountainheadMBTMap.pdf This a multi loop trail primarily intended for Mountain Biking, which I also enjoy.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Just look for the trail to start in the parking lot behind you. There is no loop. You walk til you want to turn around. Difficulty​ level hard.

Tue May 30 2017

Nice hike for the family - we hiked for about 90 minutes and encountered 1 or 2 mountain bikes on the trail- both extremely friendly. Went out on a Sunday morning around 9:30 and the trail was quiet but got busier on the walk back. Pretty easy with a few hills, no views. Good for a really hot day because the sun barely shines thru the tree cover.

Wed May 24 2017

Inaccurate description. This trail is for mountain biking only, not walking/hiking.

Mon May 15 2017

Nice mountain trail but not very scenic.

Wed Apr 12 2017

Excellent ride with terrific views. Don't attempt riding without mountain bike. Recommend no younger than very experienced 8 year old.