Fortune's Cove Via White Trail

Fortune's Cove Via White Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lovingston, Virginia that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and trail running.

This hike is fairly strenuous (1400 ft climb) and offers solitude and a beautiful view of the cove and surrounding mountains on top of the ridge. There is a shorter "lower loop" (white trail) that is about 3.8 miles and longer "upper loop" (yellow trail) that is about 4.8 miles.

Lower loop. Nice hike. Completed in two hours at moderate pace. Went counter clockwise. First half was moderate to hard due to steep incline. Second half was easy to moderate. Not much to see, but a nice hike in the woods. Maybe more to see on upper loop.

Extremely challenging hike for me, but a beautiful September breeze made the effort worth it!

Great trail, although my GPS measured the White Trail at 5.2 miles.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Hike was a great workout, but other than that there really wasn't that much going for it. We did the 5.1 Yellow Trail and there are a few decent views as you go through the quick elevation gains but the summit was a huge disappointment - a couple cell towers - unless we missed some hidden path at the top for the real view; but it left us pretty deflated on the steep walk down. We had checked off the boxes for the majority of hikes in Shenandoah that weren't too far a drive from Richmond, so we decided to look south of 64 again and found this one - wouldn't go back.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Monday, February 29, 2016

Started the trail with a rather steep hill for about 3/4 of a mile..then ran into a few switch backs. Chose to go with the lower loop. It was beautiful and relatively easy (which was perfect given my timeframe this afternoon). I would love to go back in the spring and do the upper loop. It'd also be cool to check out the winery next to the trailhead:) I absolutely recommend this hike.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Loved this hike! We hiked the white trail which is the shorter one. One great view overlook,but with it being February we were able to see through the trees the whole time. I carried my 10 month old on my back with little trouble. First section was very steep, but even with the snow on the ground we were able to make it without much trouble. The hike was gorgeous! I can't wait to try the longer trail!

Just an update, today we hiked the yellow trail which is 5.1 miles. Much harder than the White trail, but a really great hike. It's winter, so we were able to see views most of the time. At the top of the yellow trail you are on the ridge and able to see views from both sides. Definitely a lot of up hill, but plenty of portions of the trail that are easy to give a hiker a break.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pretty much all uphill. Very beautiful of mountains at the top of the ridge. I will definitely revisit this trail in the future

Monday, February 18, 2013