Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Fort Monroe Seawall Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Monroe, Virginia that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

paved

Dogs are not allowed on the beach May 15 - Sept 15. This trail follows the seawall for two miles and comes back. It is paved and level so it is accessible all the way. Watch big ships coming in and out of the Port of Norfolk Base. Near the end, the old officer's club was made into a fine restaurant and a beach club.

Fun walk, not hike, with tons to explore in the immediate area and a great beach.

awesome place to bring the kids. only thing is the restriction months on dogs.

Nice little bike ride, with a lighthouse and the fort. Added a walk along the perimeter of the fort where the pet cemetery is. Interesting. Sizable museum in the fort is worth a visit.

Beautiful views, and the trail is short and easy. Several times we diverted to run next to the ocean, which the dog absolutely loved. BIG DRAWBACK is the sand burs. By the time I realized the tiny walk through the grass from the trail to the parking lot was covered in them, I had to carry my dog to protect her feet (still ended up removing more than a dozen of them from the pads of her feet.) However, they seem to be an issue only in the grass right next to the running trail. We didn’t have any trouble on the beach itself, and if you go in the grass closer to the middle of the fort (farther away from the trail) you should be okay too. The people were all incredibly friendly, and we plan to go back (my pup will be wearing shoes

Great trail for walks/runs. My only complaint is all of the burrs in the grass along side the trail (opposite the water side). My kids wanted to do a little running and I told them to do it in the grass... they came out screaming because they were covered in burrs

Easy to walk on level boardwalk beautiful scenery beach/harbor.

Beautiful paved trail, perfect for walking with a stroller. The views are amazing, the people are nice, and the breeze is refreshing on the hottest of days. By the time you are done, it doesn’t seem like you have walked that far.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Excellent walk along the Hampton Roads side of the Chesapeake Bay as well as a history lesson if you are interested. You can walk inside the fort or along the sea wall or both. Great breezes off the water make for a pleasant walk on a warm day!

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Great views! Very safe trail!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

loves the views and the unit run

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Beautifull views of the water,big ships and one of the best beaches in the area. Everything is clean even the porta-potties. I will be walking this one many more times and visiting the beach...

Friday, March 10, 2017

I am planning a 5k at the fort. I was not able to find a safe place to complete it and stay off the roadways. Here is what I came up with to make the 5k. Stay on boardwalk, start at edge of boardwalk at Paradise Ocean Club. Continue to the Gazebo/Chamberlin brickwall (measurements varied slightly). U Turn and go back to Paradise Ocean Club. 5.08k and 5.28k was the 2 measures I tracked.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Nice trail. Lots of history to see. No shade really and if you wear sandals watch out for the sand spurs. Never crowded

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Fantastic trail! Options for ocean running or trail. We went at night and it wasn't too crowded at all. Highly recommend for a good run!

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Great views all the way. Dogs are not allowed on the beach May 15 - Sept 15. Tons of parking even on weekends during the best of weather.

Friday, March 11, 2016

Beautiful, clean trail. My dog even got to enjoy the beach.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

I was really impressed with the trail. It's now become one of my favorite trails. It's great for a quick run or a peaceful stroll with the dog.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

I was skeptical at first, going to Fort Monroe seawall trail the area near by looked downtrodden but as soon as a found the trail my doubts were remove. beutifull pave trail as you run you all have the ocean at one side and the fort green areas to the other is around four miles with plenty of parking avaliable.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Hiked this many times in beautiful sunshine and also late at night. It is a beautifu hike with big ships going by. I love it at night too with all the cights of Norfolk across the water and the ribbon of lights from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. This is one of the few trails that is open at night in the area.