Fort Monroe Seawall Trail

Fort Monroe Seawall Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Monroe, Virginia that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

beach

Dogs are not allowed on the beach May 15 - Sept 15. This trail follows the seawall for two miles and comes back. It is paved and level so it is accessible all the way. Watch big ships coming in and out of the Port of Norfolk Base. Near the end, the old officer's club was made into a fine restaurant and a beach club.

I am planning a 5k at the fort. I was not able to find a safe place to complete it and stay off the roadways. Here is what I came up with to make the 5k.
Stay on boardwalk, start at edge of boardwalk at Paradise Ocean Club. Continue to the Gazebo/Chamberlin brickwall (measurements varied slightly). U Turn and go back to Paradise Ocean Club. 5.08k and 5.28k was the 2 measures I tracked.

Nice trail. Lots of history to see. No shade really and if you wear sandals watch out for the sand spurs. Never crowded

Fantastic trail! Options for ocean running or trail. We went at night and it wasn't too crowded at all. Highly recommend for a good run!

Great views all the way. Dogs are not allowed on the beach May 15 - Sept 15. Tons of parking even on weekends during the best of weather.

Beautiful, clean trail. My dog even got to enjoy the beach.

I was really impressed with the trail. It's now become one of my favorite trails. It's great for a quick run or a peaceful stroll with the dog.

I was skeptical at first, going to Fort Monroe seawall trail the area near by looked downtrodden but as soon as a found the trail my doubts were remove. beutifull pave trail as you run you all have the ocean at one side and the fort green areas to the other is around four miles with plenty of parking avaliable.

Hiked this many times in beautiful sunshine and also late at night. It is a beautifu hike with big ships going by. I love it at night too with all the cights of Norfolk across the water and the ribbon of lights from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. This is one of the few trails that is open at night in the area.