Flat Top Mountain Trail

Flat Top Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Buchanan, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Flat Top Mountain is one of three mountains making up the Peaks of Otter in Jefferson National Forest. It is the tallest of the three, topping out at 4,001 feet.

Still one of my favorite hikes! Great views with moderate traffic.

If you do the get directions option, it takes you to Peaks of Otter lodge, which is not the exact start of the trail, but it's close. I uploaded a picture to help.

The trail is easy to follow and not marked until you reach the summit. We went in mid February so there were no leaves, but the views were good, and the trail was not hard. No crazy incline, about 1.8-2.0 miles to the summit. There were some good places to have fun and climb rocks.

Trail from Otters of Peak lodge was hard, mostly vertical elevation, but worth the view at the summit.

Did not use listed trail. off parkway there is a pull off with signs for trail it connects to listed trail great view at top well worth the hike

Beautiful

I really enjoyed the hike to the top but unfortunately due to the weather it was too foggy to see the views at the top! Definitely plan to go back on a sunny day to get the full effect!

We ended up hiking in the rain since the weather lied so we had a view of solid fog at the top, which stunk but the hike was great (other than the rain). The trail is easy to follow, well kept, and very navigable. It's a steady incline with switchbacks but totally doable for low fitness levels. I myself work out, but am still in the process of loosing weight so I stopped many times on the way up to catch my breath from the climb. But it's worth it to now I conquered this and neighboring Sharp Top!

The trail was great! It took us about two hours to get to the top and there was almost no one else on the path!

Beautiful views. Interesting rock formations at the peak, but none so interesting as on neighboring Sharp Top. I believe I hiked from the other end, the trail starting from the north, and not the highlighted trail associated with this waypoint.

Easy at first, then becomes more challenging the last half mile. Definitely worth it

very nice.