Five Forks Battlefield is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dinwiddie, Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Loop

The Five Forks Unit of Petersburg National Battlefield now has approximately eight miles of trails open to the public. These trails can be used for hiking, bicycling, and horseback riding. Trail maps are available at the new Visitor Contact Station located at 9840 Courthouse Road in Dinwiddie County A great trail system for a day hike. Please review the latest parking fee at the National Park Service website - Petersburg National Battlefield - Five Forks Battlefield

Was a good moderate trail. Easy to get turned around if you aren’t constantly watching the map. We were warned before entering that the last portion of the trail coming out of second marker had a lot of ticks so we avoided that by just finishing on the road. Ended up right back at the lot we parked at since the actual Visitors Center was closed.

(Note: this trail is actually a combination of multiple named trails in the park. Make sure to check your map at splits!) A quiet, easy trail through a pretty but unspectacular forest. Not much in the way of historical signage so if you are going for historical facts you may be disappointed. Also, this trail as indicated on the app leads into a giant patch of brambles right over Courthouse Road. I recommend avoiding that section. Overall a nice walk but nothing that will wow you.

Amazing when you think about the adversity civil war soldiers had to overcome in these battles.

Great walk through the woods, didn’t cross paths with anyone. Would definitely recommend downloading the map for this one. Majority of the trail is well maintained but the signage is not great and the last 1.5 mi or so is overgrown and hard to navigate. Lots of spiderwebs, but that’s to be expected in the setting.

We were going to do a long here. The first two steps on the trail I walked into a spider web. We kept going and my husband soon ran into three spider webs one of which had a large spider on it. Needless to say we turned around and ran on the road.

Fri Apr 26 2019

was well kept and easy to follow through the part I made it through. it started raining though and I had to leave, didn't make it all way through but I started from the intersection, not the visitor center. they were closed when I went.

Thu Nov 22 2018

Trails need a LOT of maintenance. There is no trail from the Visitor’s center to Courthouse Road (even though this trail shows it). And the one from Courthouse road to road stop #2 is poorly marked and maintained. Not to mention there was gunfire close by and plenty of arrows stuck in trees along these ‘trails’.

Wed Aug 15 2018

Had a great time walking the trail. Some parts are a little overgrown but still passable. Creek crossings, road crossings, animals, and plant life were awesome. Fun trail!

Mon Aug 28 2017

Some areas are not well kept, but that being said, I did have fun and it is a great ride through the woods. A bit confusing at some points but with gps or a map from the visitor center (I had gps) you can figure it out.

Sun Jul 30 2017

The first three quarters of the hike were ok. In some spots the trail was unkept and you have to go through so brush but not terrible. The trees are well marked as well and at a good interval. When you get to the section of White Oak and Courthouse road don't go in. The trail is non existent save for marked trees and you are wading through brush and spider webs the entire time.

Thu Sep 29 2016

Pros: Great looking scenery, truly feel deep in the woods on this one. No noises from outside world. 95% of trail is pine needles for roadbed. I mountain biked the trail. This was a fun trail overall. Marked well. Cons: I felt it was marked well, but very confusing. If I didnt have my map from alltrails I would have been lost for sure. Trail is supposed to be a bhike trail, however the section (2miles) from courthouse rd to Courthouse rd gets progressively worse to the point that it was not passable biking. I had to walk the bike from White Oak Rd to Courthouse Rd.

Mon Apr 11 2016

Great clean trails, well marked. I suggest getting a trail map at the welcome center because of all of the intertwining trail segment names.

Sun Apr 03 2016

Nice long hike, trails are marked but if you don't have the map you may get turned around a bit by not knowing which trail to take back to your car. A lot of cool trees and rocks along the trails. Very quiet and shaded most the way. You can pick up a trail map at the visitor center.

Sat Jun 06 2015

Fun

Fri May 22 2015

Clean, quiet, well marked

Sun Mar 17 2013

I loved this trail. There were several paths that you could take. In some areas it was like taking a walk in the woods without a path. Some areas you went slightly uphill and down hill. I went early in the morning with my dog and he enjoyed the hike as well.