Fisher Peak Loop Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Galax, Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 528 feet Route Type: Loop

The trail winds up the side of Fisher Peak through a variety of vegetation. At the lower elevation the trail follows a stream through mixed pine and hardwoods. Higher up, the blooms of azaleas, mountain laurel and Catawba rhododendron provide a spectacular display in May. They give way to a diverse second growth forest of oak, poplar, maple and sourwood trees. Look for abundant signs of animal life.

great corona virus trail

Did this trail for the first time today. my husband an I loved it. The weather was perfect and the vegetation was interesting. we plan to return in a few weeks to see the Mountain Laurel and rhododendron. This hike has it all except for long range views of mountains. I would rate it moderate.

This was my first time on the Fisher Peak Loop Trail. While I secretly wanted grand views from the top of the peak, I was pleasantly impressed with this trail overall. I had my 2 sons, 9 and 4, with me and since it is not a strenuous hike, I only shouldered my 4 year old on the incline sections. We enjoyed the constantly changing environment as the forest offered different ecology it seemed every 5 minutes. My sons especially enjoyed getting off the trail and hiking through the field. We look forward to hiking again.

I am a large person, 6' 300lbs, my fitness level is on the low side of moderate. This trail was a bit challenging at times and many breaks were needed, but I finished it and feel great! I definitely recomend to the more well endowed folks who use this app.

Good short hike that is not very difficult. The woods section is pretty but nothing spectacular but the sections that pop out into the fields / meadow were beautiful in the late afternoon sun. Overall a fun little afternoon hike.

Nice little hike. I loved it

Very enjoyable trail! We started behind the Music Center and hiked the loop clockwise. There is some elevation change, but not too bad. This is a great trail through the woods and some open meadow. If you want a summit or and overlook, this is not the trail for you. It’s very quiet and peaceful. We hiked early Sunday afternoon and saw no one else on the trail. The distance given is misleading....it’s probably a little over 3 miles.

Really enjoyed this local trail! From the parking lot off state road 612 and completing the full loop trail, my Garmin clocked in 3.48 miles and 603.7 ft elevation gain. As a novice hiker, I felt the moderate was accurate. Went on a Saturday, mid day, in late June, and only ran into one couple on the trail. I loved the placement of benches at locations closer to the music center, especially placed under a tree out in the meadow towards the end of the hike!

Fri May 10 2019

Started and finished at the music center. Trail loop becomes 3 miles with this route. They have a jam session 12-4 most days and some days they have concerts. Nicely labeled and well taken care of path!

Sat Jan 05 2019

Good loop. Took the pups and they liked it. Nice with the leaves down and the mid portion is protected from wind for this January hike.

Sat Oct 27 2018

Trail was better than decent but also nothing exceptional. Nice mix of woods and meadows. The trail crosses several small creeks and parallels a small river for about .5 miles. Fine for families. My 9 year old and 5 year old knocked it out with no problems. One review mentions that the entire loop is closer to 4 miles and while I didn’t measure, I suspect that’s true. There definitely isn’t a summit. Name is a bit of a misnomer. Enjoyed it. Nice hike on a fall morning.

Wed Oct 24 2018

the best marked and maintained trail we have been on in a long time

Sat Oct 06 2018

Did this just after 5pm and was pleasantly surprised at the mixture of woods and meadows. The woods portions were kind of boring so we skipped the steeper section of the loop and walked back to the trailhead parking on the gravel road that connects to the Music Center parking.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Good trail-convenient & beautiful

Wed Jul 04 2018

A nice nature walk/hike if nothing else. Lots of wildflowers. There is no summit... there is no making it to the “peak”.

Sun Nov 19 2017

This is a very nice woodland trail. It was especially nice today because of the high winds. The woodland area was well protected from the wind. I recommend this trail after the leaves fall. Otherwise the forest will be dense and less open.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Nice trail theu the woods. We saw interesting wildlife- a tick and a Timber Rattlesnake about 4 ft long!! We had to wait about 15 minutes until he uncoiled and went off into the woods.

Fri Jun 16 2017

This is such a nice trail. A lot of it is through the woods of the mountains surrounding the musical center. The woods have a lot of mature trees, ferns, it's just beautiful. You do go up and down some hills but nothing drastic. Trails are very well maintained and marked. The bridge is out at the creek so you do have to cross the creek by walking on rocks. You could get wet. I highly recommend the trail and I will go back soon to hike it again.

Tue Aug 02 2016

Nice little walk through the woods. A little disappointed that it do not take you to the top of Fiaher's Peak

Thu Jun 23 2016

Did the full loop. Was closer to 4mi. great little hike to end the day right by our Cabin at Fiddler's Roost

Mon May 02 2016

good trail and very well maintained. if your lucky you might see the mother Bear and her cub... we actually rescued a family who was 1st timers to the trail and thought they was lost.

Sat Mar 26 2016

Great trail to bring the kids on! Easy and serene. .

Fri Mar 04 2016

One of two trails at the Blue Ridge Music Center right off the Blue Ridge Parkway near the Virginia/North Carolina line. You can combine the two trails into an approximately three mile loop. The Fisher Peak Trail heads up higher through the forest and abundant vegetation, with more elevation change. It is a nice moderate hike through the trees.