Finger Lake Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Suffolk, Virginia that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 68 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

Beautiful walk past lakes and big pine trees. Trail follows a gravel road from the entry gate to finger lake.

Signage is terrible but I don't think it's a designated trail. I would say enter Lone Star complex and turn to the right. About a quarter mile on the right you can park at the Crane lake boat ramp. Continue walking in the same direction. The so called trail is in 3 parts. First, a gravel road. Second, it turns into a dirt road. Then it gets fun. When you get to the Finger Lake sign you can continue in the same direction or like I did off to the right. It's a great walk in the woods and adds some distance to your walk. Don't worry, you eventually end up back at the point where you made the decision to go to the left or right at the sign. Saw 2 horses, some eagles and osprey, tons of squirrels, and a lot of people fishing off to the right of the trail on various lakes.

bike touring

Wonderful trail. My dad and I take our bikes along this trail all the time. There are many places to stop off and rest, or just to enjoy the lakes and nature. The map is misleading, since you have to enter the trail through Lone Star Lakes entrance. (entrance is right across the road from the Chuckatuck volunteer fire department)

Fairly nice path, paved road turned to gravel and then a dirt horse trail. Great views. Horse path was a tad rooty and had to dodge some poo. Only hard complaint is that the map to the trail was misleading, you have to go to the Lone Star Lakes park.

Easy, flat trail. Watch out for horse droppings.

To get to the trail you have to go to Lone Star Lakes Park. The majority of the mapped trail is on gravel roads, but if you just follow the road to the end, there is a real trail. We saw turtles, rabbits and deer. The dog and kids had a great time! Worth coming back for some canoeing I think.

Sat Sep 15 2018

The map is misleading. It takes you to the gate by the water treatment plant. You have to access this trail through Lone Star Park. Easy hike, even on a scorcher of a day. May want to go back to go fishing.

Thu Aug 23 2018

the trail is a bit hard to find. it is in lone star lake park. we didn't make it all the way to the trail. we will go back and know where to go next time. better signage is needed. I wasn't sure I could drive my car all the way back.

Fri Jul 20 2018

Out and back, mostly dirt and gravel road. This route only has 1 trail off shoot and it's short. Skillet made it a fast trek.

Sat Jul 07 2018

We took our dogs walking on this trail to the lake and back. Saw a couple horseback riders. Found lots of ticks on us afterwards in 2017.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Instant favorite!

Sun Sep 10 2017

Exceptionally beautiful and interesting 2 mile easy loop.

scenic driving
Sat Dec 24 2016

Good to take your family out and enjoy being outside for a picnic. I assume alot of people ride horses here from the manure, but I didnt see anyone riding. Would make a decent bike ride, but keep in mind its flat. I would not considered this off-road (gravel).

Sun Oct 30 2016

I followed the directions to the entrance to find that it has been moved, followed the signs. It was a good drive, tried like heck to find the 4x4 sign, no go, where is it?! Many boat launches. It was nice to get out to a bit of nature. Was hoping though for a little more off road action.

Sat Dec 05 2015

This place isn't like the pictures on here

Sat Apr 04 2015

Great walk. Just finished walking the trail with the family. Had a great time, very beautiful area!

Mon Sep 23 2013

A nice trail with beautiful lakes all the way. I would have given it a five if it had been a woodland trail instead of the gravel road. Still a nice walk.

Mon May 06 2013

This easy trail runs North from the gatehouse at Lone Star Lakes all the way to Finger Lake. The trail is easy following gravel road. You walk past lakes on the right and swamps and woods on the left which turns into the back of a farm before the trail veers east for the last quarter mile.

recorded Finger Lake Trail