Sand Cave and White Rocks Via Ewing Trail

Sand Cave and White Rocks Via Ewing Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ewing, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

historic site

This trail has so much to offer! I rate it as moderate if you stay on the main trail. There are worn down trails between the switchbacks that will shorten your travel time, but I do not suggest using them. I slid on one of them which prompted a rattlesnake to go crazy right beside me and I had to scramble back up the path.

The views from on top of White Rocks is amazing, and the sand cave is a unique sight to see!

Don’t know why this is rated as hard. Wide, not very rocky trail. Not very steep. The cave is so cool and the overlook is beautiful! Walked up on a rattlesnake while completing this trail yesterday though so be very careful!!!

Amazing hike! It was our first hike this year so it was a little difficult but oh so worth it. From the beauty of the sand cave to views from on top of white rocks.

Started out on the trail around 825am. I chose to hike this loop the clockwise route, seemed to me, after completing this hike, that it was the best choice. The Ewing Trail makes its way up to the ridge line and crosses over into Kentucky at around 3.7 miles. This trail continues for another half mile and intersects with the Ridge Trail. Around a quarter of a mile downhill you will come to the Sand Cave Spur Trail which leads you another quarter mile downhill to the cave. The waterfall was flowing good today and the sands were cold. Yes, why walk in sand with your shoes on? After exploring the cave which I had all to myself, I continued towards White Rocks. I was very surprised that the trail was fairly level. At around 6.3 miles, I was at the junction of the short cut and then at 6.9 miles I was on top of White Rocks a little further past the first overlook area enjoying the views. On my trek down I took the short cut to complete the loop and then back down the Ewing Trail 2.5 miles back to the parking area. With minimal breaks and sock changes, I completed this hike in 4 hours and 45 minutes, logging 9.9 miles.

The caves with the waterfall and white pebbles in the steam made the hike unique. Its worth the extra hike to the white rocks.

Great hike! great view from White Rock, Sand Cave is amazing too

Definitely not a hike for a quitter but totally worth the effort!

It was stupid of me to make this my first hiking trip. I convinced a bunch of my friends to come backcountry camping. Out of everyone in the group, I was the novice. I brought too much unnecessary stuff, and was woefully out of shape. Incline all the way up, and had to abandon some of my gear and water. The ordeal was excruciating. I fell plenty of times. But the forest, wildlife, and silence was some of the most beautiful moments I've experience in my life. Having the refreshing water of sand cave wash over me was worth the pounds of muds I tracked on the way up. We camped for a couple days. Best couple of days of my life. We burned the fat off our souls

as we went up it got foggy enjoy the trail hope to go back on a clear day

This was our first ever backpacking trip. My wife, myself, and our friend. The payoffs on this trail are pretty great. Fern covered forest for backcountry camping, sand cave, and the views from White Rocks are all winners. For the difficulty? Not too bad. Is it all uphill from the trailhead to White Rocks? Pretty much, and given this was our first ever venture to the backcountry we took it pretty slow. It is however only 3 miles of uphill. So given the short distance it is very doable, even with a pack filled with a ton of stuff we didn't use or need (like I said, this was our first ever trip - rookie mistakes...haha). Go do the trail, spend some time in the cave, and enjoy breakfast up on White Rocks, you won't be disappointed. A great trip to introduce us to the world of backcountry hiking and camping!

Hiked this in 2015 . Amazing views and the sand cave is awesome. Great park and people.

Great trail. Major elevation gains in the end. The views from White Rocks are amazing and the Sand Cave is awesome. Definitely worth the leg burner hike!

Love

one of my favorite trails I have ever hiked sand cave and white rocks offer wonderful views.

This was a fantastic hike. Long and difficult, I really enjoyed it. The only drawback was the amount of clouds kept me from seeing a good distance when I got to White Rock. All in all the hiking experience was fantastic though.

excellent hike.

Sand cave is one of the most interesting features on any of the hikes we have done! Took about 5 hours but we took our time and spent an hour at the cave watching kids sled down. This is a moderate hike with a couple steep sections.

I absolutely loved this hike. It was perfect weather and beautiful day for views. The terrain is moderate and hard on the knees coming down.

We took our two year old in the carrier to just the White Rocks overlook and back. This was 6 miles roundtrip with 2k in elevation gain. Turn right at mile 2.5 under the hitching post, head up to the trail intersection at mile 3. There are several signs but none tell you to turn right for the overlook. The White Rocks camp area is straight at this intersection but you can't even really see a trail. Not much to look at one the way up but still really nice and peaceful. The view at the top is stellar. Trail well maintained. Moderate traffic, more than I expected. Lots of dogs (on leash) on the trail. No signs of bear but we saw snake, frog, salamander, snow caterpillar, and vultures at the viewpoint. Sand cave would've added 2.5 miles or so along the ridge from what I could tell.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Great hike, the Sand Cave was amazing! Needs some work on trail signage. Well maintained trails.

Monday, July 10, 2017

My absolute favorite hike!

Friday, July 07, 2017

An amazing place.

Monday, July 03, 2017

This is a great trail! Make sure to go by the white rocks while there and pack snacks and lots of water.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Very strenuous hike. Definitely not for a new hiker. There is a loop inside the bigger out and back trail. You are sharing most of this with horseback riders and ATVs. The trail is wide in almost all of it but it has a lot of rocky areas and overgrown roots. Give yourself plenty of time because this is an absolutely gorgeous hike. We did both Sand Cave and White Rocks in one trip but you could easily split them up.