We did this in early May which had its pros and cons. We also did this where it was only like 8 or 10 miles, but I didn't see that option on here.

We didn't see many people at all, which was nice, but the new spring bugs hatching all over the place made for an absolutely miserable Hike. Pack your bug spray, sunscreen, and plenty of fluids!! It ended up being an 80 degree day and once you get to the fire road there's no shade and you'll want your fluids and sunscreen for sure.

It's a really tiny parking area and we missed it when we drove past the first time. The first mile or so is an old logging road with some cute little meadows and you seem to get your hopes up that this is going to be a great Hike. You also pass some cute waterfalls and lots of pretty forest and spring flowers. Make sure to turn left on the yellow blazed trail to get you to the fire road. Doesn't seem so bad so far, right?

Don't fall for it.

When you get to the fire road, it's a legit straight up gravel road. I felt like my legs were going to die and I don't feel like I am in that bad of shape. I read other reviews that really downplayed the extent of this fire road. It's brutal. Then add the bugs flying into our ears, nose, and mouth (bug spray wasn't helping) and the hot sun and I wanted to turn around so bad. But we had gotten this far.

Once you get closer to the top, there's a small pond, some spruce trees and then the old fire tower appears. We climbed up and checked it out and ate our lunch while admiring the beautiful view from 4,463 feet. We stayed about an hour to rest our poor legs and brace ourselves and our knees for the steep descent back down the fire road.

To wrap this up, I wouldn't have done it if I had known how much I was going to die from that fire road. I've done some steep hikes, but this took the cake. It went from enjoyable to regrettable real quick. If you want a challenge, then absolutely do this Hike. It's beautiful forest and the view is nice, but not worth the fire road agony. My husband and I can at least laugh about it now, but we wanted to keel over at the time. (And at least the other hikers we saw were dying just as much as we were lol.)