Elliott Knob Trail is a 14.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near West Augusta, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,959 feet Route Type: Loop

This route is misleading. We were under the impression this was a mix of fire road and single track. The last 6-7 miles were a mix of gravel road (which was fine) but the last three were on a road road. And the last two miles were route 42. Cars were passing us at 60 miles an hour plus!

Mon Jul 31 2017

We did this in early May which had its pros and cons. We also did this where it was only like 8 or 10 miles, but I didn't see that option on here. We didn't see many people at all, which was nice, but the new spring bugs hatching all over the place made for an absolutely miserable Hike. Pack your bug spray, sunscreen, and plenty of fluids!! It ended up being an 80 degree day and once you get to the fire road there's no shade and you'll want your fluids and sunscreen for sure. It's a really tiny parking area and we missed it when we drove past the first time. The first mile or so is an old logging road with some cute little meadows and you seem to get your hopes up that this is going to be a great Hike. You also pass some cute waterfalls and lots of pretty forest and spring flowers. Make sure to turn left on the yellow blazed trail to get you to the fire road. Doesn't seem so bad so far, right? Don't fall for it. When you get to the fire road, it's a legit straight up gravel road. I felt like my legs were going to die and I don't feel like I am in that bad of shape. I read other reviews that really downplayed the extent of this fire road. It's brutal. Then add the bugs flying into our ears, nose, and mouth (bug spray wasn't helping) and the hot sun and I wanted to turn around so bad. But we had gotten this far. Once you get closer to the top, there's a small pond, some spruce trees and then the old fire tower appears. We climbed up and checked it out and ate our lunch while admiring the beautiful view from 4,463 feet. We stayed about an hour to rest our poor legs and brace ourselves and our knees for the steep descent back down the fire road. To wrap this up, I wouldn't have done it if I had known how much I was going to die from that fire road. I've done some steep hikes, but this took the cake. It went from enjoyable to regrettable real quick. If you want a challenge, then absolutely do this Hike. It's beautiful forest and the view is nice, but not worth the fire road agony. My husband and I can at least laugh about it now, but we wanted to keel over at the time. (And at least the other hikers we saw were dying just as much as we were lol.)

Sat May 27 2017

lots of switchbacks...the views were not worth it, in my opinion. make sure to take a companion if you are not in the best shape.

Sun Apr 16 2017

If you are good wandering off the beaten path, the waterfalls are amazing! If you're going to the summit, the last 1.3ish miles is a bit of a Sysiphus-esque journey and I really didn't feel like the summit was worth that last leg. It's cool if you're planning to camp at the summit overnight BUT the thought of that last stretch with a 30 plus pound pack confirms that I'd never camp there.

Mon Nov 07 2016

going up that road was The NeverEnding hell but the view from the top was heavenly the cloud coverage after an early-morning storm stayed all day the clouds that come and go over the top was amazing "cloud city"

Thu Jun 30 2016

Okay, the falls hallow trail off of Elliot's knob is one of my favourite trails. It's beautiful and a mild hike to some nice waterfalls. However the actual trail to the knob is brutal. It's about 4.6 miles one way, and it's about 230 flights up. Yes, there is a nice view and a cool abandoned watch tower at the top, but was it worth the endless agony, probably not.

Tue Mar 05 2019