Elizabeth River Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Norfolk, Virginia that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 68 feet Route Type: Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

rails trails

city walk

historic site

This is a city bike/walk in downtown Norfolk that is a mix of sidewalks, paved trails, and roads. There are signs along the path. It's possible to start/end at either Harbor Park or Hermitage Museum and Gardens.

The path, atmosphere, and amenities on this path are growing and improving! Go see for yourself. Bike, run, walk, paddle......

I work right along this trail on waterside and live close enough to the Jeff Robinson Park to be able to hop on it there. ERT came to my work and explained that they are adding signs, functional art and bike stations along the trail. Highly recommend going to their site to for a different view. There are some hidden gems along this trail that you must see!

Great trail for running. I didn’t really have issues staying on path but I reviewed the maps ahead of time. Great place to run and lots to see along the way. I started at the Harbor Park end.

private property

I started down by the minor league baseball museum and found the signs leading the way; I biked in the trail starting at 11. I went over a bridge that lead to historic Ghent. That’s where I had problems with parts of the trail flooding. You can tell the tide was on its way out though. If I was hiking, I would’ve stopped just because the cars passing by could’ve just drenched you if you were at the areas of flood. It wasn’t so deep that I got wet biking through the water (it wasn’t as deep on the sidewalk in the same side as the private homes). I ended up near the hospital trying to find the signs, but couldn’t find it without having to walk the bike around in circles. I had about two miles of biking at this point, so I headed back. On my way back, some of the water from the flood was receding but stagnant. You can see the families of bugs just loving its breeding grounds in this part of the city. The area coffee shops and wineries seemed nice. Press 626 Wine Bar was where I stopped when I couldn’t find the trail signs. On the way back, I checked it Cure coffee shop. It was a beautiful view in the riverfront and fortunately not very busy today.

beautiful walk. could be better marked, especially the optional trails.

Sun May 12 2019

not properly marked. Seems like a nice area there are sidewalks nearby that you can walk down. it's not really shaded so I do not recommend coming here when it's too hot

Wed Aug 15 2018

I’ve parked at both ends and loved the ride both ways. More like 10miles from Harbor Park to Hermitage. Once you get used to where the signs are they are easy to spot. Have to think like a walker and sometimes they are on the opposite side of the road. Lots of water views, beautiful flowers and trains and boats. Definitely helps to download the map first to get an idea of where you are going.

Mon Oct 23 2017

Definitely not well marked. Road construction adds to the confusion. Very pretty ride.

Sat Sep 16 2017

Not so obvious to follow, as it is a mix of paved trail, sidewalks, and roads. Recommend downloading the map from the city of norfolk's website beforehand. Once you figure out where to go, it is a fantastic ride!

bike touring