Duncan Knob, Massanutten Mountain

Duncan Knob, Massanutten Mountain is a 7.9 mile loop trail located near Luray, Virginia and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

SOLITUDE, fun rock scramble, great view, shaded trail The high point, literally and figuratively, of this hike is Duncan Knob, a rocky peak with an uninterrupted view, located along the ridge of Catback Mountain. The circuit begins in Crisman Hollow and climbs to Peach Orchard Gap. Before the trail begins to descend, a short easy scramble leads to Duncan Knob with exceptional views from its rocky ledges. From here the trail descends into Duncan Hollow where it follows the stream south, then turns to cross Middle Mountain.

Hiked this trail at the end of May as a 10-mile long loop, reaching both Strickler Knob and Duncan Knob. It was a good 5.5 hour workout. Yes, the two valley sections of the loop (orange and yellow blazed trails) can be quite muddy in places. The trail became a small stream from place to place in those sections. With slower pace and decent hiking boots on, my feet were able to stay dry. Do not recommend wearing shorts here due to thorny overgrown on the sides of the trail and annoying flies and mosquitoes abound. One may still attack either of the two knobs separately without doing the loop.

geocaching

Pretty steep rock scramble but other than that, view was very beautiful

Very pleasant hike although I would agree with others assessment. The trail, even on October 22, was pretty muddy in spots. I also don't quite understand what the attributes are of the east side of the hike, it was narrow, weedy, and either burnt or cut over forest with nothing to see. I would definitely recommend doing this as an up and back trail, not a loop by staying on the trail as it turns left at each intersection.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016

Friday, June 24, 2016

Monday, May 30, 2016

Nice hike. Gnats & ticks are pretty bad. Large sections of the trail were muddy, probably from the high water table from all the rain over the last month. However, most appear to be spring fed and may be wet year round. Follow pink blazes to Strickler Knob and white blazes to Duncan Knob. Both locations are awesome with great rock scrambles and views. Neither knob is dog friendly although the description indicates that the hike is. Having said that, the trails are very dog friendly but definitely not the knobs. I had to tie my dog to a tree while we did the scrambles at the knobs. I'm planning to do this trail again but next time I will not do the back side (orange blazes - Massanutten Mountain Trail). This section of the hike was very muddy with tons of ticks, also the views and forest are not very attractive. Most of it is regrowth from an old forest fire; on a sunny day it would be brutal. I'll also do it late fall/winter so we can see more scenery, no bugs and no snakes. Several of the hikers we ran into had seen a rattle snake. Another reason to me for a late fall/winter hike for the knobs is that I'd hate to come face to face with Mr. Rattler while doing the rock scramble. I'd give it a 3 - 3.5 overall, the knobs are a 5 but the hike in between was marginal, especially the backside. Skip the backside and it's easily a 4 - 4.5.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Friday, April 15, 2016

Monday, November 09, 2015

Its along 1.8 uphill but overall we had so much fun... We will definitely going back again...

Sunday, September 20, 2015

A nice hike, but wayyy overgrown with about 2 miles of walking through a plethora of thorns, and also LOTS of ticks.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Monday, July 06, 2015

I thought the trail was very overrated. Majority of the trail was a slight incline with the worst bugs I've experienced hiking. Throughout a majority of the hike, we had to stop and pull the nats out of our eyes even with wearing a hat to block them. The trail was overgrown for about 2 miles with thorn bushes that you had to walk through. There is also a part of the trail on the map that doesn't exist even after we spent an hour trying to find it. We ended up taking a detour. The only reason I didn't give this trail a single star was because the rock scaling section and the view from Duncan knob was pretty awesome but I definitely will not be returning to this trail.

Sunday, January 04, 2015

Sunday, January 19, 2014

The hike up to Duncan Knob starts out pretty challenging with steep, switch-backing inclines. Once you make it to the knob, the scramble up is definitely fun, but it is a challenge. We encountered some boyscouts leaving camp, but they went the other direction. Otherwise, we had the trail all to ourselves. You definitely need a good map and trail directions as the loop is tricky and made up of different trails.