Dragon's Tooth Trail

Dragon's Tooth Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Catawba, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Roanoke, VA: Take I-81, Exit 141 to VA 311 north for 10 miles to Dragons Tooth Parking Lot. Sign is on left, just past Catawba Grocery (also on left).

On this sunny mid-October day, the last 0.7 mile trail was hot and breezeless. I was glad I carried 2 liters of water with me. Once on the top the cool breeze was a welcoming relief.

great hike, good views, a little crowded at times but not a problem

I loved the rocky elements most of the way on the AT section of the trail. Made an extra challenge and boosted my energy because I love rock hopping! I would definitely recommend a shock-absorbing insole if you plan to go a little faster, because jumping down from the rocks will wear on you after a couple miles. Also bring layers if hiking late summer or in autumn: when I was hiking I was in tights and a tank, but when I got to Dragon’s Tooth and stopped to eat lunch, I was wearing a hat, tights, tank, base layer, and vest and was still chilled.

Great hike - had fun climbing up the rocks.

Great hike today with spectacular view!

Great hike with great views at the top.