Dragon's Tooth Trail

Dragon's Tooth Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Catawba, Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Roanoke, VA: Take I-81, Exit 141 to VA 311 north for 10 miles to Dragons Tooth Parking Lot. Sign is on left, just past Catawba Grocery (also on left).

Great hike - had fun climbing up the rocks.

Great hike today with spectacular view!

Great hike with great views at the top.

I agree with the reviewer below who said this is the least gratifying view of Virginia's triple crown. It's still amazing, but do Tinker and McAfee AFTER this one (and in that order). That being said, it's still a lovely and gratifying hike. I haven't done much scrambling, and that made the climb really fun and that much more enjoyable. I went alone on a Thursday in August and though there were others on the trail I had it mostly to myself. It was a bit of a cloudy day and I was very happy to have had a raincoat in my pack to have lunch at the top because after being sweaty from the climb it was quite chilly. The roundtrip 4.6 miles took me about an hour and 45 minutes, not including lunch, and I went through 1.5 liters of water. So grateful for whomever blazes these trails (first blue then AT white). They are incredibly well-marked and as a solo traveler I never had a moment's doubt which way to go. Enjoyable.

This is a fun hike, but it has the least exciting view out of the three Triple Crown hikes. The trail is uphill, but it is not challenging until you get to the rock scrambling. The rock scrambling is really fun, just make sure you are wearing appropriate footwear. I definitely recommend hiking boots or tennis shoes. I wouldn't wear anything like Chaco's. Once you reach the tooth, there's some pretty cool spots to have lunch, and you gotta climb the tooth!

Hike is a little misleading in that the first 2.5 miles or so are not very difficult. The rock scrambling to the top is more challenging. My cousin got to the top with a broken wrist though so it's not impossible.

Awesome hike! Be prepared to "climb" a bit towards the end (around 0.7 miles left, that is because you pass through really rocky areas and need to use your arms)