Doyles River Falls Trail

Doyles River Falls Trail is a 3.4 mile out and back trail located near Crozet, Virginia that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,181 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Front Royal, VA: Skyline Drive travels the entire length of Shenandoah National Park. Mile markers are placed along the right-hand side of the road heading south. They are numbered from north to south beginning at the northern terminus in Front Royal, Virginia. Facilities, trails and park features use the mile markers as points of reference. At mile 81.1, park in the Doyles River parking area where you will find a large trailhead with directions.

Gorgeous trail with beautiful waterfalls. The way back is definitely brutal because it’s all uphill. But totally worth it, in my opinion. Great for the dog too.

Winter's Hiking Upper Doyle's River falls -->Lower Doyle's River Falls ---> Jones Run Falls. very nice and beautiful but little bears Rounded This aria...

Parking area is on the right just past Big Run Overlook not Doyles River Overlook. Nice hike through the woods on a beautiful 60 degree sunny day. There are two waterfalls - Upper first then Lower. They are both marked by concrete pillars so you'll know when you are there. About the first mile or so is straight downhill with some nicely placed "steps" in steeper parts. Then it flattens out until you get near the waterfalls when it becomes more hilly. The trail is well maintained. There is one water crossing and rocks along the way to stumble over :) The hike back up will get the ticker going! A steady incline but not too bad. Took us about an hour each way. Not a ton of water flowing right now in November. Quite a lot of trees down in the water too which kind of distracts from the beauty for me. No bugs other than a couple of lady bugs. We saw two deer grazing near the parking area when we left. We are a 59 year old active female and 70 year old fairly active male. Male is tired today!

Trail was so fun, and incredibly visible the entire way, there were a couple of places I wish were accessible as I went, but that's neither here nor there. will definitely be going back.

Trail is in great shape. It hasn’t rained in a awhile so obviously these falls have a pretty low flow. Fun and challenging return leg. Be sure to turn around if you are only wanting a 3.4 mile hike. I kept going on for awhile on Jones Run making the hike longer, but it wasn’t immediately obvious based on the trail where the ending was.

Loved the hike, 3 waterfalls. Fitness tracker said 98 flights of stairs, so be aware. saw families with young children on trail. saw a bear crossing the road about a mile before hike. Saw a black snake sunning itself.

As the reviews and topographical map show, this trail is downhill for 1.8 miles and then 1.8 miles back up. The trail extends beyond the lower falls a few tenths of a mile, but there is a nice flat rock beside the creek with a pool where you can sit and relax before beginning the hike back up.

Down hill the whole way there and very strenuous the whole way back , the waterfall was beautiful and overall a good hike.

Very open and pretty trail down to some quiet falls. The falls were pretty slow this time of year but they were still pretty. All downhill on the way to the falls and all uphill on the way back.

Not fun- falls just trickles and hot humid conditions. Hike out was brutal.

The trail is downhill to the waterfalls so uphill back. Prep yourself. There are two waterfalls- a “baby” waterfall before the big waterfall. Beautiful and well worth the trek back up!

Nice moderate hike. Took us about 2 hours to do the whole thing out and back. Great trail conditions. Very well maintained and nice waterfall view at the bottom.

This was a super tough trail for my husband and I-more so for me. Made it all the down to lower falls. There were many points of highly traveling incline and not a lot of shade, which added to the challenge on a REAlLy hot July afternoon. Despite that, would totally love to do it again, and it is very worth it, once you get to all of the falls.

Hiked this trail on our way home from a weekend at Luray Caverns and some tubing down the Shenandoah at Shenandoah River Adventures with my 4 and 6 year old. We passed about 10-15 folks on trail. Lots of bugs, butterflies and creepy crawlies (millipedes, earthworms, black beetles and daddy longlegs) for the kids to stop and look at. This was a somewhat challenging hike on the way up for my novice hiker kids. We took lots of breaks. But after we completed it and started in on our snacks and cold drinks in the parking lot, they said it was all worth it. On our way home, we did see a nice sized male black bear on skyline drive, not too far from the trailhead parking lot.

What a great hike this was. Lots of water features rocks and trees to check out. The climb back up wasn’t as bad as I was expecting and a lot easier to get up than Deep Hallow falls and I think the water falls were more awesome. There were raspberry’s to pick and if you bring a water filter there’s a mountain spring to drink from. I’ll be back to do this one again.

Great trail for waterfalls. We took the kids 7, 10, 12 and it was fun on the way down, it has a lot of shade and a mountain spring if you’re running low on water on the way back up. We took our time on the way back up which was a little tough but once at the car they all said it was a lot of fun.

Well groomed trail that goes down and is a doozy coming back up. This was my second hike for the day so my legs were pretty cooked on the return. Nice waterfalls and stream.

feels like a slow fall on the way down so you know it will be tough on the way back up! gorgeous hike

all downhill to the falls and then straight uphill on the way back which is a kicker! the falls are nice to dip your feet in or wade a bit.

BEAUTIFUL WATERFALLS...holy cow was the last 450 yards back to the jeep a dozy!

There are three beautiful waterfalls on this trail. We didn't hike the full distance, but we made it to the lower falls. Definitely worth the hike, but I am surprised this is rated moderate and not hard. We had to make several stops on the return hike since it's strenuous and steep at times.

Good waterfalls, steep back up.

love this trail! good shade and good waterfalls. up on the way back. no real veiw out to the valley from this trail.

Absolutely loved this hike even if it was 100% uphill on the way back. It was totally worth it for two big waterfalls. But utilize the spring on the way back up to cool you down if you do this in warm weather. It felt amazing after feeling like I was going to overheat with the sun beating down on me.

Wed Nov 07 2018

Loved this hike. Lots of water over the falls due to the recent rain. This is a great hike if you want to do an overnight in the back country. There is some flat ground near where the Doyles Stream and James Stream meet. If you like to fish...bring your fly rod and license. This is a harvest stream over 9". I saw several trout in the deep pools that were close to the 9" mark.

Sun Sep 23 2018