Devil's Marbleyard Via Belfast Trail

Devil's Marbleyard Via Belfast Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Natural Bridge Station, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Follow 501 North to the Blue Ridge Parkway. From there take a left onto the park way and follow it for about 7 miles then make a right onto Petites Gap rd. (Petites Gap rd. is a single lane dirt/gravel road on the side of a mountain. Be very careful on your way there and back.) The trail head is about 2.7 miles on your right.

If you don't climb the rocks, you're doing it wrong!

The Devil's Marbleyard is practically our backyard so we hike to the top at least once a year if not more. This year we checked this hike off our list too soon as we started on the journey it was 40 degrees, but when we returned to the parking area as the sun went down so did the temperature and it was sitting at only 20 degrees. This place is close enough that we can wait till later in the day to get started however we arrived at the top around 4 pm and knew that the sun would go down around 5 pm, leaving us only an hour to make the decline. I hike with children, ages 14, 9 and 7. We need to hike slower to keep the youngest and smallest from getting worn out too quickly, there's no way i'm carrying a kid all the way up or down out of there. My son lost his pocket knife so we had to go back up, find it and again descend arriving bottom side about 6 pm or there after. It was dark (BE PREPARED- Always Bring a flashlight) and cold!!!!! (Dress in layers. Plan ahead.)

The boulders are simply amazing, astonishing, fascinating, unique, incredible, breathtaking........ I don't believe there are enough words to express the feeling of reaching the summit and looking out, how it takes your breath away, how it makes you feel accomplished and just a little light-headed at the same time. You just don't know until you are there, in that moment, experiencing it yourself.
The boulders are also dangerous and can be very strenuous and difficult to navigate especially for the little people, but also with guidance, sure footing and good grips they feel successful and accomplished to be the smallest person standing at the top beside the crew. Many places could afford you a hard fall into a big hole- so be very careful. There is a trail that weaves through the wooded area along the edge of the boulders, so it isn't mandatory to climb up the boulders themselves (its just more fun that way). However, the trail is difficult as well with smaller rocks, trees, in path and a steep incline.

Water is present in most places along the trail, and a the trail crosses a creek in at least three places. During wet seasons when the water level is up, it is difficult for anyone to navigate the stepping stones without getting wet feet. The stones are slick and the water is cold. My small people or those with shorter legs really need help reaching from one stone to the next. Only a few spots in the trail itself retain water and can be quite sloshy and muddy. There is a spot at the base of the boulders where the water runs over a boulder to the right of the trail and is absolutely beautiful.

Hiking on the 20th of January left the trail quiet and open to my kids and I. Everything was super peaceful, we could hike at our own paces, stopping as we pleased for breaks & Chocolate. Will we hike this again- you can bet your hard earned dollar WE WILL! You should too!

It was an amazing experience, especially in the winter time!

Made for a perfect afternoon for my 8-year-old son and me. The 1.2 mile ascent was the workout; the rock scramble was the playground. As most trails in the area were washed out amidst this record rainfall, it was a sweet relief that this well-maintained trail was completely navigable. This hike was a true highlight on our four-day trip to the Natural Bridge area.

Love this trail took a small dog and two friends had a blast

A lot of hunters out with dogs today (December 2018) so I recommend wearing bright colors if you plan on being out during hunting season.

Great hike to the base of the marble yard over three creeks and through the woods. I brought my three kids, ages 8, 11, and 14. We made it to the top of the yard and back in under 4 hours with two long breaks for snack and lunch. This is a tough hike but a good way to get them away from their “screens” for a day for an exciting outdoor adventure. We climbed up and down the Marbleyard and avoided the trail on the side because of mixed reviews I’ve heard. Coming down the Marbleyard is a bit more difficult than going up but still a fun time. We have been to many trails in the area but this is their favorite.

Very unique hike! The rocks can be pretty slippery in spots so wear good shoes. Saw two other people on today’s winter hike. We completed it just under 3.5 hours with a quick lunch.

Love the hike up to the top and the view was magnificent!!!

An ABSOLUTE MUST. Awesome trail, and a lot of fun! If you don't hike the loop there's a side trail to the right (when looking up) you can walk back down, it's extremely steep though. The view is well-worth it. Bring lots of water, and a couple snacks. This is a day hike if you're planning to climb to the top.

This trail is awesome! And the view from the marble yard is insane! But be warned it is extremely strenuous, I honestly have no idea how people bring children on this trail. The trail is very rocky and at times extremely steep. Not easy on the knees, but if you can take it, the views are totally worth it.

Very nice trail!! the scene when you got to the top was amazing! would do it again!

This trail was amazing, and the rock scramble was a blast! It wasn’t as tough as I thought it would be, but it’s no walk in the park. The trail hugs the side of the rock scramble tightly and is pretty narrow and steep with lots of loose rocks. I will definitely be taking more trips out that way to spend more time. The scenery was beautiful.

Challenging, fun, great workout!

Hiked this one today. Actually, that was my second attempt to climb the rocks all the way to the top. First time around it was drizzling all day long, boulders were slippery, and I did not finish it. Today was sunny - different story. Good traction, because it was dry, and spectacular views all the way up (if you are climbing the boulders). Very very challenging climb, and I have done some tough trails. Rocks are getting bigger towards the top, and harder to climb. I had enough brains in the end to take side trail down instead of jumping boulders back...lol. Highly recommend if you want entire body workout. Do not recommend if you have knees problem.

did the hike with the family today. I do a lot of hiking.....this trail is WOW. the pictures do not do it justice. As you peak the first set of rocks, you're thinking you're done....and you look up and.....a LOT more scrambling. totally worth the effort and if you like scrambling you will love this!

Great hike. Pretty good trail up to the actual Marble Yard. The trail that skirts the yard to the right is very steep and narrow but a good challenge. Beautiful views along the way if you step out on to the rocks, WOW.

This was a fun trail, completed with our 5,7, and 11 year olds. Note, if you are following this recording, the Marbleyard is about the halfway point, we did not spend much time on the boulders and headed to the ridge for a snack break.

This a 4⭐️ for uniqueness. This isn’t for the faint of heart. Definitely a challenge. This is the first rating of Difficult that was on the mark. If you do any climbing you’ll love it. I don’t so it definitely had me working for that elevation on the boulders. Saw so people making short work of it though. The pictures do NOT do justice to the view of the boulder yard rising up in front of you. Pretty wild spot.

We climbed the boulder yard almost to the top, whew! Sore the next day, but really amazing views. Not recommended for children the boulders would be too challenging. The trail right next to the boulder field was a steep descent, poles definitely came in handy. Really unique hike that I’m glad we did!

Amazing but path on marble trail difficult to find best path off main trail.

great hiking. good workout

By far the most fun hike I've ever done. I went off trail and climbed the rocks up then took the trail back down. It's definitely a good workout and the whole thing is pretty steep. I highly recommend it! It was suggested to me by some locals and I'd never have known about it otherwise. I had the trail all to myself in the middle of a Sunday.

Did this hike with three boys ages 3, 8 & 10. Absolutely beautiful. Highly recommend.

Thursday, January 11, 2018

This trail IS NOT for the Wimps in the group. It gives the body a chance to warm up before it hits you with both barrels! The rock field is fantastic and gives one the opportunity to traverse an amazing natural formation that includes challenges for those that boulder to those that spelunk. This trail will become a favorite, give it a try, you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Great trail as long as you don't follow it, the fun part being rock climbing

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Great trail. Well marked and pretty moderate in difficulty. I’m pretty athletic and I did get winded a few times but it’s definitely doable! The last scramble over the rocks is a little bit daunting but the view is definitely worth it!

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Pictures don't do it justice

Thursday, October 26, 2017

I live in Lynchburg about 45 minutes away. Been up there many times. Anytime an out of towner asks me where to go I suggest the Marble Yard. It is an awseome hike. Weekdays are better than weekends, parking can be an issue.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Awesome! This was beautiful on a clear day.