EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Blackmore, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Scenic hike to the Devil's Bathtub, a scoured rock formation within Devil's Fork Creek. Hike follows the creek closely along its entire course, crossing the creek multiple times and passing several scenic swimming holes, rock formations, and waterfalls. This hike continues beyond the Devil's Bathtub, climbing the mountain and returning to the original trailhead. Beyond the Bathtub, however, the trail is much less maintained and may be difficult to follow in some seasons. Overcrowding at the Devil's Bathtub has become a problem, exacerbated by disrespectful hikers ignoring No Trespassing signs and parking along private property when the trailhead parking area becomes full. Please be aware that ALL areas outside of the signed parking area at the trailhead should be considered private property and should not be used for parking. Access to the trailhead is only allowed through an easement from a private landowner, and disregard for property owners' rights by visitors does nothing but needlessly strain this relationship...and puts you at risk of getting your car towed. If you arrive at the trailhead and the parking area is full, consider going somewhere else rather than breaking local trespassing laws. The Bathtub will still be there on another day, and you won't have to fight crowds of people to see it. Little Stony Falls or the Guest River Gorge are alternative hikes, both of which are nearby, have similar scenery than the Bathtub, and are virtually never crowded.

I have completed this trail 10+ times and it used to be wonderful before it gained notoriety. The actual "Tub" is underwhelming but really neat. There is a very deep pool of water before the "Tub" and it's my favorite part. If anyone is reading this and thinking about taking the trip, PLEASE do not leave any trash. This area used to be so pristine and now it's only that way after a cleanup. Consider packing trash out with you. Otherwise, the trail is relatively easy with lots of water crossing and readily accessible water to be boiled or filtered.

Challenging hike! We decided to continue on the full loop after doing the 2ish miles to the bathtub, and it was beautiful, though very rocky. It was an overcast day and has been raining the past week, so though the trail was extremely wet and muddy, there weren't many other people there for a Saturday and parking was easier. We brought our dog who did great as he is athletic, and his harness pack made it easier to pick him up across the deeper crossing spots when he wasn't sure how to manage on his own (35 lb shepherd mix).

We love this trail . My kids even like it I guess because of the reward of a c- c- cold swim in the pools . It's rated as difficult but it's really not I would rate it as moderate . Maybe the difficult part would be crossing the creeks about 13 times . Any way get there early the parking is not the best and it's very possible to get blocked in . Take a dip in the bathtub my kids like to take swim goggles the water is beautifully clear and clean!

This is my favorite local trail. It's fairly challenging. I've hiked it 3 times now. In fact, last year my fiance proposed on our hiking trip on this trail. ❤️

Bathtub was breath taking and the trail after was very rough. We are in good shape and it was still very hard!

Really beautiful hike. Not recommended for younger kids. Went during the week so there wasn't that much traffic. Walking sticks are a big plus on this trail. I'd do it again once the water warms up just a little bit because crossing that creek as many times as you do you want it to be warmer. It is difficult but worth it.

Hiked this trail several times, it's great.

was a great beautiful day in February.. one thing to note.. you will cross water 13 times up and 13 times back.. you will get wet.. I would suggest extra shoes and socks

We walked this trail back in the summer. starting a little before 4:00 PM we didnt get back to the trail head until right at 10:00 PM. Granted we didnt think we were going to walk the entire trail but figured "it doesnt seem to long..." after the bath tub there isnt as much to see. If you dont hike regularly this is a rough trail. Not very suitable for pets for kids. The full trail is longer than the markers lead you to believe. Would be fun to do again just not so late in the evening.