EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Blackmore, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,614 feet Route Type: Loop

Scenic hike to the Devil's Bathtub, a scoured rock formation within Devil's Fork Creek. Hike follows the creek closely along its entire course, crossing the creek multiple times and passing several scenic swimming holes, rock formations, and waterfalls. This hike continues beyond the Devil's Bathtub, climbing the mountain and returning to the original trailhead. Beyond the Bathtub, however, the trail is much less maintained and may be difficult to follow in some seasons. Overcrowding at the Devil's Bathtub has become a problem, exacerbated by disrespectful hikers ignoring No Trespassing signs and parking along private property when the trailhead parking area becomes full. Please be aware that ALL areas outside of the signed parking area at the trailhead should be considered private property and should not be used for parking. Access to the trailhead is only allowed through an easement from a private landowner, and disregard for property owners' rights by visitors does nothing but needlessly strain this relationship...and puts you at risk of getting your car towed. If you arrive at the trailhead and the parking area is full, consider going somewhere else rather than breaking local trespassing laws. The Bathtub will still be there on another day, and you won't have to fight crowds of people to see it. Little Stony Falls or the Guest River Gorge are alternative hikes, both of which are nearby, have similar scenery than the Bathtub, and are virtually never crowded.

Was beautiful, we did the loop trail, not alot of water right now, but definitely worth doing! Also only passed one other hiker! Hopefully we be able to come back in the spring when the water is roaring. There is a waterfall around the 3 mile point, three forks I believe was the name! Around 3.5 there is a sign letting you know that the trail is rugged. It has lots of crossing and up and down the terrain, very Rocky!

private property

The water was nearly non existent and the hike was definitely rocky. We were met by many knats. Despite the lack of water it was a VERY beautiful hike. My husband and i spent round about 3 hours there. We plan to go back next year. It was not busy. The road leading up to it was as everyone said, difficult so a 4 wheel drive is suggestive. It wasn't busy at all today. Overall it was an amazing trip. Highly recommended

One of the most beautiful places that I have ever hiked. It was indeed super crowded with people, but reaching the Devil’s Bathtub & seeing the beauty and getting into the water made it all worth it!

I recently completed this trail (the entire loop) a week ago 8/17/2019. Use Carter's on the Creek for parking and shuttle if going on the weekend. There is very little parking. when taking the long trail, there are several trees down, major elevation gains early on. I loved this trail. taking my kids again soon!

This quickly became one of my favorite hikes! I hiked it when the water was relatively low, so that made crossing the creeks much easier. Speaking of water: the water at Devil’s Bathtub was absolutely incredible. It was so clear and beautiful I couldn’t believe it. I regretted not taking a bathing suit! I would recommend visiting this trail early to beat the crowd, though. There were several people (mostly kids) hanging around the swimming hole and the actual Devil’s Bathtub area. I did not hike the entire 7.8 miles; I went straight to Devil’s Bathtub. The sign said 1.8 miles but my watch recorded about 2.4. Regardless, if you have 2.5-3 hours you HAVE to check this place out! 10/10 recommend :)

This loop is difficult, but more than worth it! Highly recommend that if you do the loop that you end with the bathtub!

Great hike and uniquely beautiful water features. To the reviewer who took issue with the lack of a bathroom and water fountain ... ya know, I didn't notice any Dippin' Dot vendors either. Let's knock one more star off and head to Disney World.

Fantastic hike and frigid water

Due to the recent rains the stream crossings were a bit more than we expected. Thankfully we brought two pairs of shoes. The color in the Bathtub was as evident due to the high water flow. We were here two years ago and it was in the midst of the drought, there were basically no stream crossings then and the bathtub was beautiful. We decided to do the entire loop from the bathtub. Thank goodness, going from the other direction it would have been brutal. Muddy, slippery and the stinging nettles nearly swallowed the trail on the last mile and half. Even if you don't do the loop, go beyond the bathtub to the Three Fork Falls. Beautiful! All in all it is a beautiful trail, just that last long slog down the hill is taxing.

hiked the whole thing in my bikini and chacos which was just lovely. would rate this trail as moderate. very well marked. 3.5 hours total.

Adventurous. Wear water shoes or a hiking sandal this time of year (July 5th). When raining a lot trail is muddy and streams are high. The loop was too steep and muddy. We bailed 1.5 mi in to it. The direct route was wading streams calf deep. Slippery but fun. couldn't really see into devil's bathtub, too much water. Very pretty though.

I did the loop in June 2019. Arrived 8:30am and the parking area was empty. Hiked the loop in about 5 hours with a nice break at the bathtub. Saw no one until I returned to the parking area which was now full. The trail to the bathtub is rocky and slippery in spots. One ledge to cross. The loop return part is wooded, crossing multiple drainages. The final decent is fairly steep on a old roadbed. The trail is well marked, but is hard to follow in the winter with the leaves down. Don’t get caught there in the dark. My first hike there many years ago was in November and we had a very hard time staying with the trail. Blazes and signage is much better now. The water in stream is crystal clear! The last 100 yards to the parking area is rough. Need a high clearance vehicle.

This was one of our favorite trails and we loved swimming in the cold water. This has been on my bucket list for a while and it did not disappoint. We did see a few people at the Devils Bathtub but they were leaving so we had the place to ourselves for a while. We passed about 30 people on the trail on our way out. Early during the week is the best time to go.

12 members of the Southeastern Kentucky Hikers hiked this trail. AllTrails accuracy: Shop on. The trail map was easy to follow, and the signal lasted throughout the trail. The mileage listed in the description was 7.3, but when we finished we were at 8.36, and we didn't deviate from the trail much. Trail condition & marking: The trail was well worn and the trail was marked very well. It did get confusing a few times but we quickly got back on the trail. Parking: There is limited parking at the trailhead. There is strict parking rules, and it is well posted that cars blocking the roadway will be towed. There is a shuttle service 1.1 miles short of the trailhead, the cost is $10 per car to park, and included in the fee all members can be shuttled to the trailhead. Wildlife seen: NONE, with exception of a few birds. Also NO snakes, ticks, bears, alligators, or sharks. Would I hike it again: YES. But it will be a few years, mainly because due to ankle issues I don't prefer crossing a high number of creeks (13 crossings). Rating: 5 Stars - This should be a 'Buck List' trail for everyone.

We did the long trail. Map says less but all 3 GPS said 8.28 miles. We went to the right and man the first 4 miles were tough. Very steep and lots of rocks. A lot of overgrowth and low foliage that made me uneasy. Aside from just checking the mileage off your list, the loop trail didn’t provide much enjoyment. Due to the extremely heavy canopy there are no views at all. Just a hard hike. However the tub area was great. After the tub, it was a stroll in the park but after 2 days of rain the crossings were deep, some up to my knees. Footwear didn’t matter, wet is wet. Important- don’t expect to stop close by for food or gas. There’s NOTHING close by. No gas within 30 minutes.

loved the tub! The trail was marked great with flashing. A couple of swinging bridges made it even better. Several Creek crossing might become dangerous in periods of heavy rainfall but was great last weekend. My 2 complaints and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars were very poor parking first and foremost the other no restroom/water fountains. It's not that big of a deal but it's worth 1

Was a great trail we took my 2year old granddaughter and she loved it we had 2cross the creek 12-13 times but we had a great time would recommend this trail

Had to cross 8 creeks, some past my knees, to get there. Besides crossing creeks it wasn’t too bad of a hike. Bad parking & not much of it.

Absolutely incredible hike, long but simple, one of my favorite in all of VA.

Worth the hike at the end. It’s a difficult trail to walk, definitely wear shorts to your knees and water shoes. It’s very difficult to get to the devil bathtub it’s self, there’s a swimming hole that’s very pretty and you can see straight to the bottom. It’s tough but worth it.

We had a wonderful time, lots of water crossings a good challenge. Parking was interesting overall Great experience.

One of my favorite trails in the area. We did the whole loop and GPS said 9 miles. It’s much easier to just wear your shoes and socks when crossing the creek. There are dozens of crossings and it will save you tons of time and it’s safer. After a while you don’t even notice the wet shoes. We just bring sandals to change into when we get back to the car. Absolutely gorgeous hike. Don’t forget to visit Three Forks Waterfall-it’s a short distance (.25 mile?) after the bathtub!

so worth it! started with the straight up first, so we could "finish" at the devil's bathtub. hardest, most worth it trail of my life! can't wait to do it again!