EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Blackmore, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Scenic hike to the Devil's Bathtub, a scoured rock formation within Devil's Fork Creek. Hike follows the creek closely along its entire course, crossing the creek multiple times and passing several scenic swimming holes, rock formations, and waterfalls. This hike continues beyond the Devil's Bathtub, climbing the mountain and returning to the original trailhead. Beyond the Bathtub, however, the trail is much less maintained and may be difficult to follow in some seasons. Overcrowding at the Devil's Bathtub has become a problem, exacerbated by disrespectful hikers ignoring No Trespassing signs and parking along private property when the trailhead parking area becomes full. Please be aware that ALL areas outside of the signed parking area at the trailhead should be considered private property and should not be used for parking. Access to the trailhead is only allowed through an easement from a private landowner, and disregard for property owners' rights by visitors does nothing but needlessly strain this relationship...and puts you at risk of getting your car towed. If you arrive at the trailhead and the parking area is full, consider going somewhere else rather than breaking local trespassing laws. The Bathtub will still be there on another day, and you won't have to fight crowds of people to see it. Little Stony Falls or the Guest River Gorge are alternative hikes, both of which are nearby, have similar scenery than the Bathtub, and are virtually never crowded.

Breath taking beauty! Take your time to enjoy with safety first!! Take your litter back with you!! Moderate to some extreme levels of hiking. Prepair to get wet at the most knee high. As you will have to cross about 6 streams. Hiking stick is a great plus for stability when unknown unstable rocks and boulders as crossing small streams can turn into injuries. We saw three bathtubs leading up to the small narrow 17ft deep oval shape bathtub.

a very fun hike 7 Miler took the right down and around to the devil's bathtub and was ready for a dip great experience....

I only had time for the part of the loop for the devils bathtub. Stay to the left and if you’re unsure of the trail just walk up the creek bed until you see a yellow blaze.
(I used driving directions from https://www.virginia.org/listings/outdoorsandsports/devilsbathtubwaterfallthe/)

The trail had lots of different fungi to identify and the crossings were not difficult because there wasn’t a lot of water, my shoes stayed dry most of the time. There was a rescue while we were there (jumping from ledges that should not have been jumping from).

The water was bee refreshing and devils bathtub was probably 8 feet deep and clear to the bottom. Not too many people but lots of trash. Please bring a bag to carry out what you can. I’m 100% going back!

went 7/10/18 Tuesday to Devils bathtub and it was so much fun! For being about a mile and a half hike(the left trail) it felt like forever but really only took an hour. The was was so clear and clean. Water was freezing to swim but so worth it! It wasn’t too busy, a few groups but not overly crowded. Definitely would go back!

The hike took about an hour ( my 66 yr old dad & 11 yr old daughter made it in 45 mins). The swimming hole below the Bathtub & the Bathtub is some of the clearest & coldest I have seen/felt. Absolutely beautiful & worth the hike.
Cons: 1. hard to find/no signs until u get there 2. parking is very very limited

The main attraction is the bathtub but if you continue it's more rugged. More than I expected. Also, the water will literally take your breath away if you jump in.

The Devil's Bathtub has been on my list to hike for over a year. We hiked it last Friday, arriving at the trailhead parking lot at 9:30 am. At that time, we were the 3rd car already there. At 1:00 when we arrived back to our car, the road leading into the trailhead parking lot was lined with cars parking. We took the advice of going on a weekday and starting as early as possible. The hike is beautiful with 13 creek crossings on the way to see the bathtub. Most of them were shallow being about ankle to mid calf deep while 2 were just above knee deep. I would recommend watching how much rain is happening in the area before heading out. Before the actual bathtub is a waterfall flowing into a beautiful pool, the bathtub is on past this and is worth the drive and the hike to reach it. It is absolutely beautiful. I had spoke to the forestry service the day before to check trail/creek conditions and was told they had just had a trail clean up, so we did not see much trash at all. Also, a vehicle that sits higher off the ground is recommended to reach the parking lot. I was advised a 4x4 but drove my front wheel Outlander and made it.

Very Rocky trail for a good bit even when you aren't in the water. Very poorly marked in spots. When in doubt, cross the river, just remember that doesn't always mean STRAIGHT across. Sometimes its a diagonal cross or even just short hike up the river itself. You will get wet at least up to the knees! But so beautiful once you get there!

After 2 days of hiking in the Smokies, this trail in a rural area of southwest Virginia was the highlight of my trip. Love the water crossings for opportunities to cool off on a hot day. The hike to Devil's Bathtub and back takes less than 3 hours and that is with time spent at swimming holes. Just below the bathtub is the best swimming hole I've ever been in north of the Florida-Georgia line. The only thing I did not like is seeing all the garbage and personal belongings (socks, towels, etc) that disrespectful hikers left behind.

Hard but doable

Definitely a tough hike, especially counterclockwise ending with the bathtub. Bring some shoes with good grip, there’s plenty of stream crossings and you are bound to get your feet wet. A word of advice for those planning to do the whole loop, don’t go after a recent rain storm. There is so much mud on the trail that my feet were getting sucked into the ground making the climb so much harder. Lastly, please follow LEAVE NO TRACE; there were piles of garbage scattered throughout the trail closer to the bathtub.

Worth the trip. The water is ice cold. The trail markings are piss poor in several spots. I learned really quick it's better to just cross the stream and not try a way around it.

Kinda hard to get to, especially if you are not an avid hiker. But oh so worth it when you see it.

Beautiful & always worth the trip! I lve the cold water after working up a sweat getting there!

The difficulty is well worth it and with the loop you can get all you want out of a good day hike. Swimming holes are pristine. Only complaint is that weekends are wayyyy too crowded.

One of my favorite hikes! So beautiful!! There are some parts that are harder then others. Make sure you wear the correct shoes bc your feet will likely get wet.

We had the parking lot and trail all to ourselves! The water levels were pretty high but everything was beautiful! We hiked the entire loop. The first 3 miles are definitely the most scenic.

Very scenic trail with at least a dozen stream crossings. So do not recommend after a heavy rain, the high water makes navigating across some spots a little difficult. But on normal does u can step stones across most places. The trail it's self isn't to hard my 8 year old daughter made the hike. When you reach the Devil's bathtub it is beautiful and offers a good size water hole below it, which is good for cooling off on a hot day. So pack a swim suit.

Great hike , not too strenuous and beautiful scenery once you reach the end

Fun trail! Need decent hiking/water shoes! Do not go when it has rained heavily...when we got there it was the devil's hot tub and you could barely see it :( Opportunities to swim and lots of cool rocks to stop and picnic lunch on :)

This is not an easy hike. The creek crossing can be quite sketchy for those with bad balance or not athletic. But that said I took a group of 10 or so people with 3 or 4 children around 8 years old and everyone loved the hike. When we went the water levels were so high that there was not a bathtub. But the scenery was amazing and its a different type of hike because of all the creek crossings. Its challenging and fun all at the same time. Be prepared for numb cold feet.

Pretty easy if you just do an in and out instead of the loop. Tons of river crossings so be prepared to get wet! There is a small sign pointing to the parking area. I’d would suggest parking at the bottom (before the skull and crossbones sign). Just hike up the path instead of driving. Not worth getting stuck.

Was able to get out and go day hiking on our last day of vacation. Was definitely well worth it! Hiked the trail and got to Devils Bathtub, then decided to continue on to mile marker 3 (about to the Three Forks Waterfalls or something along those lines). Was absolutely beautiful with lots of river crossings and beautiful sites along the way.

Pretty challenging. Some areas the trail is poorly marked. We hiked the trail clockwise, it looked like it would be very much harder doing the trail counter-clockwise. There is a second waterfall after passing Devil's bathtub that's well worth continuing on. We got there early and by the time we left, there were cars lining the road for about 2 miles. However, it was summer and a lot of people use the bathtub for swimming.

Buddies and I came for a bachelor party and stayed in a cabin near by. It's been awhile since any of us hiked, a couple of us never have, but we were able to handle the trails and streams pretty well. We had to go slow in some spots but we made it through and everyone came back in one piece. I definitely recommend this trail to anyone interested in a challenge.

One of my favorite trails ever! I lost count of river crossings. Trees to climb under and over on trail. Careful, recent fatality do to slip on rocks.  I only saw 3 couples. Parking was fine for me but if you go when busier you will be out of luck if no parking. Lot is very small! No where nearby to park if lot full. Also driving my camary was scary as I wasn’t sure it would make it out of the long puddles entrance road. I made it in and out though. I read some people said lots of trash. I picked up two water bottles and that’s all I saw besides a little broken beer bottles in lot. Bathtub is just to right of rope at 2 miles. It’s a 7 mile loop. I did 2.5 and care back to total 5 because I enjoyed crossing river so much and wanted to see bathtub again. Well marked trail. Look for yellow paint on trees and pink ribbons.

Awesome little hike! I went early before it got busy.
The bathtub it’s self is not easily seen from the trail... if you don’t know where it is it’s easy to miss. The sign they placed for it isn’t even on the trail... you have to turn and walk down the creek bed a bit to find it.

Did this early morning hike w 2 black labs and it was great! Rocks across streams were slippery, tho they looked dry, so be careful (busted my butt twice, ha). Beautiful hike, wish I had brought a plastic bag for the very few items of trash we saw. Do this, so worth it.

absolutely beautiful!! somewhat difficult and slippery but worth everything!

This place was breathtaking. I've never experienced anything like it. The whole 1.8 mile up hill, which is great because it's all down hill on the way back. Never lacked Beauty and awe. Definitely worth the trip. Wear good shoes you'll more than likely get your feet wet. Take your time so you don't get hurt. I wouldn't suggest children but they are yours you weigh there value and endurance. A rope just before you get to the first, confused with the bathtub but not, there is a rope and little footing as well as slippery take your time. But wow so absolutely worth it. Good luck God Bless