Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail

Devils Fork and Devils Bathtub Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Blackmore, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Scenic hike to the Devil's Bathtub, a scoured rock formation within Devil's Fork Creek. Hike follows the creek closely along its entire course, crossing the creek multiple times and passing several scenic swimming holes, rock formations, and waterfalls. This hike continues beyond the Devil's Bathtub, climbing the mountain and returning to the original trailhead. Beyond the Bathtub, however, the trail is much less maintained and may be difficult to follow in some seasons. Overcrowding at the Devil's Bathtub has become a problem, exacerbated by disrespectful hikers ignoring No Trespassing signs and parking along private property when the trailhead parking area becomes full. Please be aware that ALL areas outside of the signed parking area at the trailhead should be considered private property and should not be used for parking. Access to the trailhead is only allowed through an easement from a private landowner, and disregard for property owners' rights by visitors does nothing but needlessly strain this relationship...and puts you at risk of getting your car towed. If you arrive at the trailhead and the parking area is full, consider going somewhere else rather than breaking local trespassing laws. The Bathtub will still be there on another day, and you won't have to fight crowds of people to see it. Little Stony Falls or the Guest River Gorge are alternative hikes, both of which are nearby, have similar scenery than the Bathtub, and are virtually never crowded.

This place was breathtaking. I've never experienced anything like it. The whole 1.8 mile up hill, which is great because it's all down hill on the way back. Never lacked Beauty and awe. Definitely worth the trip. Wear good shoes you'll more than likely get your feet wet. Take your time so you don't get hurt. I wouldn't suggest children but they are yours you weigh there value and endurance. A rope just before you get to the first, confused with the bathtub but not, there is a rope and little footing as well as slippery take your time. But wow so absolutely worth it. Good luck God Bless

This trail is definitely not for anyone who can't cross 13 wide creeks and and a lot of slippery rocks. You have to pull yourself up some embankments every now and then, and where it's so heavily trafficked it's muddy and slick. The walking paths are easy in between all that. The Devils bathtub was very crowded and looked better online than in person. If you go past the bathtub there is another waterfall with a swimming hole, but I only advise experienced Hikers to go down. You have to work your way down to get to a rope attached to a tree to get down. Even as experienced as I am, I still slipped and tore my meniscus and got a MCL sprain. That made it very difficult getting back out. Lol.

Best hike ever. Don't let the length discourage you. Upper waterfall is difficult to get down to but well worth it

My all time favorite! I'm so lucky that I live local. I had a friend in college show me this place before it became wildly popular. I normally take the shorter route which is only 2 miles. I'm not in the best of shape and I normally have no problem getting in and out. Definitely wear good shoes and clothes for crossing creeks !

Nice challenging trail with 13 water crossings. Wear good trail shoes and be prepared to maybe get wet. Very rocky terrain in some parts.

This trail is a good one. Be prepared to get your feet wet. There are several creek crossings. There is a little elevation but nothing too bad. The section at the bathtub can be slick. There are more than one crystal clear pool on this trail. It is not marked the best but because it is heavily trafficked you will not have any problem finding your way. It is really fun during the summer for obvious reasons but is also beautiful in the fall.

Went on a Saturday, parking is on a one lane dirt road and obey the parking signs. We camped at a nearby campground the night before to not be rushed. Trail is amazing we went after a rain so the waters were rushing. It was a hot day and the water felt nice. I advice a walking stick for this hike you cross the water numerous times. Please be advised this is more for hikers if your going to see a huge bathtub... it's not, but it is still amazing and unique, not very deep people have through rocks in it and or tumbled into it. The watering hole is just as beautiful the lush and unique green vegetation will keep you in awe! A+

Will definitely remember some more water friendly shoes next time, over all the Trail was great and the views were amazing. Great swimming holes, everyone enjoyed the overall aesthetic.

go early! avoid the crowds in trail and in parking. some garbage lying around so i carried out what i could. beautiful trail.

You can not camp here. Big sign that says NO CAMPING at Trail head. Also signs warning that your vehicle will be towed. It was late and we needed to set up camp so we couldn't even walk the trail. We tried the "trail" north of this one and it turned out to be forest roads. Found a spot by a small stream and left VA as soon as the rain let up in the morning. Worst camping trip ever.

Beautiful trail but unfortunately too crowded to really enjoy.

Had a great time...took me a minute to jump into the ICE COLD WATER!!!

*My review is for the actual "hike" to Bathtub not the 7 mile loop.

The immensely long uphill/downhill dirt/gravel road to reach this destination can be challenging for those who drive smaller, compact automobiles. I drive a Honda Fit and it was a little rough in some spots but mostly I was just concerned about tire wear.

Upon arrival, I managed to get a decent place to park, by the time I returned to my automobile, the parking lot was beyond congested and chaotic.
Leaving the parking lot I decided to take a nearby two lane instead of tackling that monster of a dirt road. I ended up driving roughly 25 miles out of the way but it's not a big deal considering my Fit gets insanely great mileage.

The hike itself was not necessarily rough but watching your footing on dry and slippery rocks is crucial.

As far as the actual Bathtub and swim holes goes - Not impressed. I was raised in hills of Appalachia and everything I could see reminded me of when I would wade in the creek near my parents house. I mean essentially that's what this destination is - A creek. Obviously it offers more rocky routine and lovely vistas compared to my youth but the most part I found this location to be extremely overhyped and I would not make the trip back unless it was to hike the entire loop and see something fresh.