Devils Bathtub Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Fort Blackmore, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length3.9 miElevation gain590 ftRoute typeOut & back
HikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingRunningDog friendlyForestWaterfallRocky
Description
Waypoints (0)

Caution: This swimming hole is prone to flash flooding. For this reason, please do not attempt the trail if the water is above your knees. This trail requires several creek crossings. The road to the trailhead can be rough and is washed out in places. An SUV is recommended to reach the parking lot.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (302)
Photos (562)
Recordings (200)
Completed (815)
Kelly Christie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 24, 2021
HikingIcyOff trailScramble

My husband, adult niece, and myself hiked this “trail” on February 20. We had THE BEST TIME! The water was running very fast & deep with rapids, so most of the crossings on the actual trail weren’t possible without getting soaked. We started off moving off the trail more upstream to find better places to cross. This worked for a while & we were even able to avoid a few crossings (the trail weaves in and out of the stream), but in the end, we all slipped & got wet to the knees (at least), so we weren’t as cautious after that. The crossings were gorgeous & the actual trail (when we were on it) was easy. We did go up the side of the hill a few times & shimmied back down, so I think we actually covered a lot more distance than the trail. Getting to the actual “bathtub” had a few slippery spots with ice, but it wasn’t difficult. We picnicked at the waterfall & enjoyed the view. Definitely go early in the day to allow time to go off the trail or build up your nerve for the crossings. We even straddled a few fallen trees & used arm strength to cross the water a couple of times. If you don’t mind wet feet, do this hike. It’s so fun!

Angela Hite

You will get wet!!

View Angela's Recording
Timothy Leach
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2021

GPS is wrong. Make sure to turn left before starting up the mountain otherwise you'll have a hard time getting turned back around. Also the devils bathtub sign is facing the wrong way?? Not sure how you're supposed to know where it isn't unless coming down from the tiny dirt road from the mountain..

Drew Kesler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 7, 2021
View Drew's Recording
Victoria Lippincott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 31, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

This is a spectacular hike! This out and back has 22 water crossings - 11 there and 11 back. There is no possible way to do this trail without getting wet and the water is ice cold. That said, my teenage daughter and I did it in late December and it was 45 degrees with ice and a little snow. Proper hiking shoes are a must to help you not slip on the mossy slick rocks in and out of the stream. The stream, rock formations, and woods are so beautiful. This app map has you parking about a half a mile before the trail head. You can park right at the trail head. There is space for about 10 cars. The dirt road there was fine and well maintained. My 12 year old minivan had no trouble navigating the rode. I highly recommend this hike. It is accurately categorized as hard because many of the creek crossing are difficult and there are a few spots with tricky rock scrambles.

Dax Farnsworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

really fun. loved the creeks that separated the trail into sections. it entertained the kids!

Ryan Hurley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 23, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

absolutely loved this trail. we had our dog and two elementary school boys. Tons of rockfall, you cross the river multiple times. So plan to get wet or take hiking sandals. a hiking stick also helps. We went in to Devil's Bathtub, ate lunch and hiked back out. about 6 miles total. Parking: we parked down the road in the designated spot about a half mile away. That's what the sign said to do, but when we hit the trail there were at least 15 cars parked right at the trail opening.

Brian S. Woods
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 22, 2020
HikingGreat!

The Devil's Bathtub was once one of the area's ultimate secrets. Today, it is in process of becoming a tourist attraction. As part of that process, attempts are underway to make the trail more accessible and any description what to expect is likely to become outdated. The Devil's Bathtub itself is an absolute must-see! *For challenge seekers, continue the trail upstream. This is part of the greater Devil's Fork Loop Trail that includes fantastic waterfalls, rock formations and a simply surreal forest.

Regina Reynoso
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 14, 2020
Hiking

Not hard, not sure of even call it moderate. Beautiful views, trail is easy to follow as the trees are marked.

View Regina's Recording
Daryl Stahl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 26, 2020
View Daryl's Recording
Lindsey Carter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 22, 2020
HikingGreat!MuddyRocky

This is one of the prettiest places!! My main concern is that the trail isn’t well marked and I can see where it would be easy for somebody to get lost. I would recommend hiking with somebody that knows this trail and is familiar with it. I wouldn’t have known where to go if I hadn’t had someone with me that knew where to go. Also there are several rocks and plenty of places where we had to cross the river and we got wet, so please wear appropriate footwear. I did see a snake on the trail too, so keep your eyes open for that.

Arianna Whitehead
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 20, 2020
HikingRocky

I loved this hike! Genuinely impressed with the view, my boyfriend and I swam around. Super rocky, but we enjoyed the challenge! Would recommend to anyone nearby!

Mimi Cortes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2020
View Mimi's Recording
Gymrat Sophie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2020
Hiking

Loved this trail, yes it's rocky but what are you expecting, a walk around the park?! Experiencing all kinds of terrain is all part of hiking. And I love all the way water crossing, fun fun fun.

Yelena Starostenko
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2020
Hiking

Hard, rocky, 11 or more crossings of streams, feet can get wet. Take stick or two with you it will help to atlas streams

View Yelena's Recording
kara rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 9, 2020
View kara's Recording
JILL EVANS
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 27, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyWashed out

I don't want to alarm you...but my husband and I was at the Devil's bathtub on Sunday. I have never been rob until Sunday September 27, 2020. Our car was gone thru by a stranger. I have reported it to the Gate City sheriff department. I thought I had lefted my purse in the trunk on the left side it got my attention but I thought well maybe I was wrong or my husband moved it to the left. When we got to town (Gate city) we stopped to get supper and I didn't have any cash. I think they is a team because at the bathtub a guy came out of no where and then disappeared. Which made me and my husband very uneasy. If you saw anyone around the red outback on Sunday September 27, 2020 please call the sheriff department and report it. I don't want anyone else to feel this way. Oh one more thing that is the longest 7 miles I've ever hiked don't do the whole trail!!!

rog z
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 27, 2020
View rog's Recording
Bec Click
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2020
View Bec's Recording
Jessica O'Toole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
HikingGreat!Muddy

Nice moderate hike- you're next to water the whole time and will cross a lot of creeks over rocks. We brought our mini schnauzer and he managed to make it across all the rivers on his own as the water wasn't very deep last weekend. It was however, very crowded and not as much opportunity for social distancing in some parts as we would've liked. Devils Bathtub was gorgeous and well worth the trip.