Dead Run Loop

Dead Run Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near McLean, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not maintained. Multiple large trees not cut or removed. Blaze marks not close enough. Very rigorous which is great but too much time looking. And oh btw-yellow jacket hive on the rocks halfway down Daed Run halfway through the hike. Stung 14 times. Almost gave up my clothes. If you allergic, avoid this hike until it is dealt with.

Nice hike. (FYI, the map for the trail named here as Turkey Run Trail is identical to the one for this trail, the Dead Run Loop. I'm not sure why.) I did the loop clockwise, and the first half is the more strenuous half until after the small waterfall and rocky terrain closer to the river. Blazes are infrequent and not always easy to find, but this did not pose too much a difficulty. There is one or two nice views of the river, and I suspect more views are available on the trail named on this website as Turkey Run Park Loop Trail.

Wasn't a bad hike;but the road and metro noise is loud at some parts, you aren't along the water too much and when you are along the Potomac, there's few views. I found myself checked the map on here to make sure we were still on the trail several times. It's a new setting compared to other hikes along the Potomac but this wouldn't be my first choice.

There's a part, about 1.2 miles in, where you have to kind of climb up an all dirt path. Since the ground is still pretty moist, having hiking shoes on really helps. Lots of rocks to scramble around all along the trail which makes it fun. Be ready to go over or under huge fallen trees. It's also pretty easy to get off the trail and on to another if you aren't checking the map. There's a lot of other trails and they aren't always marked.

I've seen past reviews of this loop on other sites that say it wasn't properly marked. I believe the park has listened and they've updated their marks along this trail. The scramble at Dead Run is quite fun and the wildflowers are beautiful. About halfway through I found the trail to not be as exciting. It was hill-y, but it made me wish turned around and scrambled some more. For beginner hikers, budget some energy for the very end. There is a steady and somewhat strenuous incline on the way back to parking.