Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Dark Hollow Falls Trail

Dark Hollow Falls Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

beach

Dark Hollow Falls is one of the closest scenic falls to the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. This is a fairly easy walk down, but the trek back up on the way out may be slightly challenging. Learn about black bears, wildflowers, and enjoy the falls as President Thomas Jefferson did back in the day.

Beautiful hike, portions of which are on the AT. Hike included three waterfalls and cascading streams. Unfortunately the trails were very busy due to it being a Saturday at Shenandoah National Park, which is only about 75 miles from Wahington, DC. The crowds included a group of about 30 all hiking together with a guide at the front and another at the back to keep track of everyone!

Great hike today right after the heavy rains ended. The falls were gorgeous!

What a beautiful hike ! We came on Mother’s Day 2019, it was drizzling and foggy. We almost changed our minds but I am so thankful we didn’t. The path is wide and the hike is breathtaking. At the end of this hike, you reach the waterfall. It was so worth it. The entire hike is only 1.4 miles.

Pretty trail and falls close to Skyline Drive. The trail is a little too civilized for my taste but we enjoyed the hike, wildflowers and waterfall.

Beautiful falls, definitely harder coming up than going down (: rest often and be careful after rain.

The reviews were truly a help. They prepared me for the hike and what to expect. My daughter and I were well prepared mentally for the trek back up. Not easy but very doable!! It is a beautiful hike with many spots for a photo opt. This was our first time at Dark Hollow Falls and we were not disappointed, tired but not disappointed!!

A pretty hike for sure. Down the trail is easy and steady, some rocks but nothing too strenuous. Once you go to the bottom of the falls just hang out and relax before the climb back up. I am a bit out of shape so I stopped a couple of times going back up the trail but it’s still relatively easy. And stops along the creek we’re beautiful.

This was a great hike that checks off quite a few boxes. 1. It’s one of the more impressive waterfalls in the park- not in height, but multiple flows of water cascading down a moss covered rock wall. 2. Its a shorter hike, with a good “bang for buck”. The trail is rocky in parts- and hiking out will take you twice as long. 3. Because it’s popular, plan on going early- I did and had the trail mostly to myself. There are quite a few places to have a snack or early lunch. (4) nature sounds- the trail follows a small creek and soon you find yourself listening to a babbling brook instead of the parkway above you. This hike was completed on May 1- and the area had gotten rain. This led to portions of the trail being somewhat muddy- but nothing that should hold anyone back. ***because it’s a shorter hike, it’s ideal to combo this hike with another one in the area. I hiked HawksBill afterward- it’s less than 10 minutes away and provided views from one of the highest trail point in the park.

This was a great hike and a wonderful walk down where we enjoyed lunch listening to and basking near the falls. The hike down was very casual with a steady downhill slope... the return... that was a tough walk for the small ones. Like the route down, it’s a steady slope, back UP... more resting and recharging needed and taken along the way.

Beautiful hike along the waterfall. Long uphill on the way back but the view at the bottom is worth it!

Beautiful trail. I would like to return during the spring or fall time frame as I am sure the view would be quite different.

This was a beautiful trail that’s perfect for families. But I have to admit, the trip back was difficult. I forgot to bring water along with me and got light headed. Thankfully, the trail was rather crowded so someone lended me a bottle. I would not recommend going down past the main waterfall because it meant more uphill walking.

Beautiful views of the falls, the hike back up can be a bit strenuous.

Beautiful waterfall. Trail can be muddy and slippery. Did this trail in June and no issues with bugs. All up hill on the way back, but can stop and enjoy the view as much as you want. Enjoy!

Love love love this hike! Super short and easy. A great one for kids and pups on a hot summer day!

Long hike down... but amazingly rewarding! The falls are awesome and well worth the hike back up to the trail head.

Excellent, a little icy on this Thanksgiving Day, poles will help.

Indeed the best Waterfalls along Skyline Drive. Super crowded with hundreds of people on the trail during weekends. You will have better luck with parking if you go to the Big Meadows lot instead of the Falls lot along Skyline Drive. That way, you could hike the Story of the Forest too. This hike is a mile down to the 71 foot high Falls but it all up hill on the way back. You gotta climb 574 feet back up and the trail runs along a stream. There was many sections that were muddy so I do recommend hiking poles. There are sections with logs steps that create terraces to level things out but the trail is very steep and a long haul back up.

Sweet little hike. Great waterfalls. Although, being a non-frequent hiker, the climb was a bit tiresome(thanks for 600ft of elevation change).

Trail is well marked and easy to follow. As others have said, the hardest part is the way back up. Lots of steps and incline most of the way up. Plenty of places to stop off and rest on the way back up. Many different views of the falls all the way down to the bottom. Plenty of cut ins to walk down to and take pictures of or feel the water throughout the different portions of the trail. A few small spots where it was muddy/slippery. Be mindful of this if it has rained recently. Plenty of older folks enjoying the trail as well if you are deterred by some of the reviews. Falls were flowing well with yellow trees above as a backdrop for picture takers

Beautiful falls and creek! The trail can be a little slippery with the wrong footwear depending on how wet it is so be careful. It was a pretty easy hike, but very crowded when we went.

Good trail. Can be a little tricky going downhill over wet rocks and timbers. Coming back up is no joke - got my heart rate up to jogging level. Really gorgeous cascade of little waterfalls near the bottom was worth it. Nice change from overlook views.

This Trail is definitely not meant for people that are out of shape. I do not think it is appropriate for children under the age of 4 and for people with walking disabilities.

Beautiful water fall. The trail is great and well kept of course. We hiked on 9/29/18 with gorgeous weather. It’s a backwards hike. So after the falls be prepared for a work out. I’m a fat hiker so I just take lots of breaks

Great view

Beautiful- well worth the elevation climb out

Easy hike on the way down - pretty much downhill all the way. The way back up is what makes it a moderate hike! Beautiful falls! Follows the creek throughout the hike!

Great waterfalls! Definitively need to watch your step, especially if wet. Not good for hikers with knee issues. Some of our group members hiked down the trail and then up the fire road. We all met at Fisherman’s gap overlook for lunch on the rock with an amazing view of the valley.