Dark Hollow Falls Trail

Dark Hollow Falls Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Dark Hollow Falls is one of the closest scenic falls to the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Learn about black bears, wildflowers, and enjoy the falls as President Thomas Jefferson did back in the day.

Go in the morning, it's beautiful and quiet. Going all the way down to the base of the falls is worth the effort too.

crowded especially in the summer but a great little hike especially if you're looking to stretch your legs on a journey down skyline drive

Steep and wet in some areas, but beautiful forest trail !

Steep, relatively short hike. We didn’t enjoy this one nearly as much as the other great hikes we did in Shenandoah. Waterfall is nice, but saw much more impressive falls on Cedar Run-White Oak Canyon hike. Was also extremely crowded when we went on Easter Sunday.

The falls were awesome! Still a good amount of ice on them so that was cool. The way down is easy. Going back up is a little rougher, but not bad at all. This should be rated moderate, not hard. I only saw a few people on the way back up. Not crowded at all on a Monday morning.

A fine hike, quite easy besides the steep return. I am more interested in the big views and after seeing ricketts glen waterfalls this hike was average in comparison.

enjoy going every year

This trail is easy going down, but can be a bit rough on the inexperienced when heading back up. There does seem to be more black bear sightings on this trail. I've done it about 5 times and every time someone has seen one, myself included. As long as you are noisy and make yourself known, they tend to retreat fairly quickly. Overall, one of my more favorite hikes.

I'm a completely inexperienced hiker and totally out of shape and I wouldn't rate this as hard. It's different than most hikes I've been on in that it's downhill at the beginning, which was rough on the knees and toes. The falls were lovely and worth the hike. Even with numerous breaks, I was able to complete the hike in just over an hour and spent about 15 minutes at the falls.

A great workout

Great hike!

Wonderful hike , bit tough on the hike back

Sarah Hettel's review summed up this hike. Gorgeous falls, tough on the way back but totally worth it!

We went on a Sunday, so it was moderately trafficked (I don't really like crowds and I wasn't bother by the amount of people, so, not that bad). The trail is about .75 out and the same distance back (so around 1.5 mi total). I thought the water falls were totally worth it. The entire way to the falls is basically down hill, and back to the road (skyline dr) is pretty steep uphill. good little workout for the distance. There were a lot of kids and older people doing it so I thought "okay Sarah, don't psych yourself out. not that hard". a lot of people stop right when they get to "the falls" but you can go a lot lower (trail is not over!) and get super close to a tiny waterfall and a little pool of water. equally beautiful and no one was down there. happy hiking!

lots of fun. a great hike for kids

Pretty busy but worth it

Its not a long hike but coming back is a little steep. Lots of steps and inclines to traverse over. It was a very fun trail with a nice waterfall following down. Would take it again if I could.

Revisited this falls after a rainy day and it was stunning! Short hike but hiking upwards was very steep

Really not that hard, over crowded near the top, and views weren't all that either. Probably won't do it again, but it beats a day at work. First view of the falls requires very little effort or distance.

Fun family hike, but can be steep at various points. It was also very popular and quite crowded. If you're looking for a "park and hike" type of adventure, this is a good one. But if you are looking for a trail without a ton of people, check out another place. We saw 3 black bears on the trail today. :) The kids had a lot of fun and it was solid family bonding time. Also keep an eye out for the little fairy home built at the base of a tree near the trail head. My daughter (who's a big fan of the Trolls movie) loved it. :)

Was an easy hike the trail is clearly marked and lot of small waterfalls the whole way down

This was a great hike. Encountered quite a few people but they were friendly and courteous. Not so crowded that you couldn't take pictures definitely worth the trip and will return next time we are in the area

Easy down and back. Nice falls. Saw Bear and deer. Crowded but longer Rose creek option has fewer people.

This was an amazing trail and a challenge. Going down wasn't bad, coming up was the harder part. This wasn't rated as kid friendly but my 4 & 6 year old were able to hike it. Slow and steady, sometimes needing a hand but so worth it.

Very crowded hike. Several groups of people just standing in the way. I don't think I got a single picture without a person in it. As for the hike itself, it is a wide very well maintained path. The falls were nice. It's totally downhill when you start from Skyline Drive. It is pretty steep going back up, buy not enough long enough to warrant a "hard" rating. I'd say moderate at best.

Nice waterfall at end, hike there is nothing amazing, but good if you have an hour to spare!

I was parked by 0930, and there were only a few others on the trail, which was nice. Definitely try to get there early to beat the crowd! Feel free to travel past the falls on some of the other trails to see wild life, I was fortunate enough to run into a family of black bears about a mile past the falls around 1030.

Unfortunately, we got to the trail around 11am, which was too late if you are into having a bit of solitude. This hike is definitely not as the day progresses so early is key. The hike is decent if you want to exercise your ankles. It goes down until you get to the first falls in a series of falls if you end up continuing. The decent is about 1.5 miles. At the end a welcoming spring awaits. Switching back expect to go up the entire distance descended previously. When I first did this short hike a long time ago it did not have all the steps the park put in to help hikers going up and down. All the manmade steps seemed touristy and I think it welcomes the flood of families it bring in. But if you can ignore all that the hike is decent for the length and it does offer a good workout going up. Personally, I enjoy the solitude and the ruggedness of other hikes where they filter out true hikers. If you want quick hike that your family can join in and offer a bit of technical ascends and descents this is a good starter.

It was beautiful and so much fun

Pretty tough on your knees going down. Enjoyed the waterfall.