Dark Hollow Falls Trail

Dark Hollow Falls Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Dark Hollow Falls is one of the closest scenic falls to the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Learn about black bears, wildflowers, and enjoy the falls as President Thomas Jefferson did back in the day.

A fine hike, quite easy besides the steep return. I am more interested in the big views and after seeing ricketts glen waterfalls this hike was average in comparison.

enjoy going every year

This trail is easy going down, but can be a bit rough on the inexperienced when heading back up. There does seem to be more black bear sightings on this trail. I've done it about 5 times and every time someone has seen one, myself included. As long as you are noisy and make yourself known, they tend to retreat fairly quickly. Overall, one of my more favorite hikes.

I'm a completely inexperienced hiker and totally out of shape and I wouldn't rate this as hard. It's different than most hikes I've been on in that it's downhill at the beginning, which was rough on the knees and toes. The falls were lovely and worth the hike. Even with numerous breaks, I was able to complete the hike in just over an hour and spent about 15 minutes at the falls.

A great workout

Great hike!

Wonderful hike , bit tough on the hike back

Sarah Hettel's review summed up this hike. Gorgeous falls, tough on the way back but totally worth it!

We went on a Sunday, so it was moderately trafficked (I don't really like crowds and I wasn't bother by the amount of people, so, not that bad). The trail is about .75 out and the same distance back (so around 1.5 mi total). I thought the water falls were totally worth it. The entire way to the falls is basically down hill, and back to the road (skyline dr) is pretty steep uphill. good little workout for the distance. There were a lot of kids and older people doing it so I thought "okay Sarah, don't psych yourself out. not that hard". a lot of people stop right when they get to "the falls" but you can go a lot lower (trail is not over!) and get super close to a tiny waterfall and a little pool of water. equally beautiful and no one was down there. happy hiking!

lots of fun. a great hike for kids