Dark Hollow Falls Trail

Dark Hollow Falls Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syria, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Dark Hollow Falls is one of the closest scenic falls to the Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Learn about black bears, wildflowers, and enjoy the falls as President Thomas Jefferson did back in the day.

I am not sure why this hike is rated hard but I though it was really easy. There are no crazy parts on the trail. The trail runs along a creek and you are treated to a amazing waterfall view from the bottom.

Fantastic hike! It was challenging, but I made plenty of stops to rest and drank lots of water. The falls were amazing!

Falls are wicked fun !

Great hike uphill on the way back, but nice. Made it easily for a 61 yr old

great trail. Falls were beautiful thanks to lots of rain. We would rate it moderate difficulty.

great hike. very scenic

Good clean falls! Www.rovingnomadmedia.com

Great quick down and up, did with kids ages 2, 5, 7, and 12. A little slick in a couple spots but nothing our crew couldn’t handle and well worth it.

So worth it!!

If I wrote that the Cedar Run and Oak Canyon hike didn't feel like it was very hard, I wouldn't rate this one above "easy." There is a bit of a hill, but the distance is very short and you're down by the falls before you know it. The Falls themselves are nice but not any more impressive than those that you would see along the White Oak Canyon. I guess it's worth stopping if you're driving by and have half an hour to spare, but if you have the time, go on one of the longer hikes around.

Go in the morning, it's beautiful and quiet. Going all the way down to the base of the falls is worth the effort too.

crowded especially in the summer but a great little hike especially if you're looking to stretch your legs on a journey down skyline drive

Steep and wet in some areas, but beautiful forest trail !

Steep, relatively short hike. We didn’t enjoy this one nearly as much as the other great hikes we did in Shenandoah. Waterfall is nice, but saw much more impressive falls on Cedar Run-White Oak Canyon hike. Was also extremely crowded when we went on Easter Sunday.

The falls were awesome! Still a good amount of ice on them so that was cool. The way down is easy. Going back up is a little rougher, but not bad at all. This should be rated moderate, not hard. I only saw a few people on the way back up. Not crowded at all on a Monday morning.

A fine hike, quite easy besides the steep return. I am more interested in the big views and after seeing ricketts glen waterfalls this hike was average in comparison.

enjoy going every year

This trail is easy going down, but can be a bit rough on the inexperienced when heading back up. There does seem to be more black bear sightings on this trail. I've done it about 5 times and every time someone has seen one, myself included. As long as you are noisy and make yourself known, they tend to retreat fairly quickly. Overall, one of my more favorite hikes.

I'm a completely inexperienced hiker and totally out of shape and I wouldn't rate this as hard. It's different than most hikes I've been on in that it's downhill at the beginning, which was rough on the knees and toes. The falls were lovely and worth the hike. Even with numerous breaks, I was able to complete the hike in just over an hour and spent about 15 minutes at the falls.

A great workout

Great hike!

Wonderful hike , bit tough on the hike back

Sarah Hettel's review summed up this hike. Gorgeous falls, tough on the way back but totally worth it!

We went on a Sunday, so it was moderately trafficked (I don't really like crowds and I wasn't bother by the amount of people, so, not that bad). The trail is about .75 out and the same distance back (so around 1.5 mi total). I thought the water falls were totally worth it. The entire way to the falls is basically down hill, and back to the road (skyline dr) is pretty steep uphill. good little workout for the distance. There were a lot of kids and older people doing it so I thought "okay Sarah, don't psych yourself out. not that hard". a lot of people stop right when they get to "the falls" but you can go a lot lower (trail is not over!) and get super close to a tiny waterfall and a little pool of water. equally beautiful and no one was down there. happy hiking!

lots of fun. a great hike for kids

Pretty busy but worth it

Its not a long hike but coming back is a little steep. Lots of steps and inclines to traverse over. It was a very fun trail with a nice waterfall following down. Would take it again if I could.

Revisited this falls after a rainy day and it was stunning! Short hike but hiking upwards was very steep

Really not that hard, over crowded near the top, and views weren't all that either. Probably won't do it again, but it beats a day at work. First view of the falls requires very little effort or distance.

Fun family hike, but can be steep at various points. It was also very popular and quite crowded. If you're looking for a "park and hike" type of adventure, this is a good one. But if you are looking for a trail without a ton of people, check out another place. We saw 3 black bears on the trail today. :) The kids had a lot of fun and it was solid family bonding time. Also keep an eye out for the little fairy home built at the base of a tree near the trail head. My daughter (who's a big fan of the Trolls movie) loved it. :)