Cumberland Marsh Natural Area Preserve Trails

Cumberland Marsh Natural Area Preserve Trails is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New Kent, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

There is a nice overlook near the parking area with a great view of the marsh. It is worth the stop if you are in the area. Trails have been redone. The dams were cut and lakes drained. Best part is along the creek. Longer to get to now. Easy, flat, woods.

Love this trail more and more, have hiked it twice since my last review. One of my favorites. Took some photos today as well. There's one spot on the way back where you pass through some rhododendron. It had rained early this morning before I left home, so everything was wet and glimmering. As I turned a corner the sun peaked out and it was as if each leaf was a diamond in itself. Absolutely stunning!!!!!

This trail has the potential to be sooo much better. Initially, we had a hard time even finding the trail. The entire thing was overgrown and there were numerous downed trees that we had to climb over/under. There are markers but there were 3 different types and we did get off track 2 times. I would say it required moderate exertion due to the path maneuvering, not easy. I was hoping there wouldn’t be a lot of ticks being that it was November but no such luck. I was picking ticks of my dog and myself. There were some nice river views though.

Hiked here yesterday. The leaves in fall are majestic! Well marked trail.

Hiked this trail first part of Nov. Beautiful!!! Loved it!!! Very remote. Nice new bench near the water with great birding about 45 minutes from trail head. It appears the trail has been shortened as I saw two signs "Trail Closed". Saw several deer. Would not recommend for summer hiking.

we refer to this as a "Winter Trail" because we have learned to only walk it in the winter! CHIGGERS!!!! From the parking area you need to walk along a field for a ways before entering actual trail. This are has not been cut when we have come up and grass/etc gets to about knee height. CHIGGERS! There are also a few places along the trail that have tall grass. CHIGGERS were horrible and a reminder of this walk for days!! Walk it in the winter or spring before everything grows tall.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Monday, March 21, 2016

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

First trail, but beautiful. Good for beginners.

Thursday, March 03, 2016

What a beautiful little trail! Nice easy walk around a beautiful area!

Thursday, July 23, 2015

It's probably unfair that I rate this trail since it is my first. The trail was somewhat overgrown and did not appear to be much traveled. That being said, it is exceptionally well marked and even in between blazes, we never lost the trail line. The woods are stunningly quiet and the marsh is eerily beautiful.

Dress in long sleeves, long pants, and bring plenty of insect repellant because chiggers are the devil!

Friday, May 08, 2015

I must have been here about the same time as Kyle. It was a nice break from my route on a beautiful day.

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Monday, November 24, 2014

Walked this trail on a cool, late November day. Very well marked in both directions of loop. Flat, scenic and great for birding. Nice feeling of remoteness as I was the only person out this day. Really neat section with young long needle pine encasing you on either side. Well worth my 45 min drive.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Friday, July 29, 2011

THE TRAILS IN CUMBERLAND MARSH FOLLOW OLD LOGGING/FARM ROADS / MOSTLY FLAT TERRAIN /
THE UPPER & LOWER LAKES HAVE REMOVED / WE HAVE RELOCATED THE TRAILS TO GO AROUND THIS MILEAGE AROUND 4 /