Learn more

Cross County Trail is a 37.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Occoquan, Virginia that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 37.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,496 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Overall, this is really a "route" consisting of linked trails. The biggest issue is a lack of clear signage and markings. There were multiple times I blew past a turn and had to backtrack to figure out where the route went. I did this in July and boy was it a handful. I first started using a full blown road tandem with 28mm tires, and did about 5 miles from Oquagon park. It wasn't too bad, but we did have a little trouble with the route. Most of it was paved. I tried another 5 mile chunk but really missed a turn and ultimately ran out of time. The third go involved a bunch of trail more suited for a mountain bike. At this point, I'd done 10 miles and realized the road tandem wasn't cutting it. I switched to a hybrid touring bike. In one day I finished the 30 miles. It was hell. My bike tires were not suitable for the mud. The last 20 miles is almost entirely mountain bike trails. I was forced to walk and drag my bike through swampy sections. perhaps knobbies would have been enough. I determined there was no way I was coming back and the only thing to do was to push through and finish. I thought it would take 3 hours to do 30 miles. It took more than 5. I ultimately made it to great falls but I decided to find an alternative route back involving the WOD. Still the fact that you've got a 20+ mile mountain bike route across Fairfax county is pretty incredible. so while I don't plan to do it again, I still give it high marks.

This trail was hard to find in Occaquon as the direction stopped before Lorton Road. Waze directions were better.

Wed Mar 01 2017

This is not a 17-Mile Trail as listed here in the app, it is a 40-mile trail running from Occoquan to Great Falls. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/cct/

Sun Jun 19 2016

It was an enjoy full ride and I would love to do it again

recorded Cross County Trail