Crabtree Falls to Priest Shelter

Crabtree Falls to Priest Shelter is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nash, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Park at the Crabtree falls parking lot. Hike to the top of the trail via the only route. Continue past the falls to the top parking lot. Turn left onto Meadows Lane until reaching the Appalachian Trail. Turn left onto the trail and continue until the trail splits. Stay left to continue on to the summit. The true summit is actually covered by trees, but the rock outcropping on the left is the main attraction with 180 degree views of the valley and adjacent mountains.

This hike is one of my favorites in the area, but think maybe it should be marked as hard. Great views at the end but also cool waterfalls on the way up. Trail is a bit confusing after the waterfalls and before the AT. Follow the signs to the trail head for a quarter mile up the hill. Great breweries on the way back to C’ville as a reward

We hiked this on one of the windiest days of the year with 4 very small children & it kicked our butts! The view was worth it, and we’d definitely do it again, but this was a huge challenge for us! We parked in the Priest Wilderness parking lot on 56 & hiked in from there to the overlook. Did about 7 miles total, as we skipped going to the shelter.

Had lunch at the Priest Overlook-gorgeous views! Had the place to myself

Saturday, April 08, 2017

This was my very first overnight backpacking trip and it is still one of my favorite spots in Virginia. I highly recommend parking at the crabtree meadows parking lot if you have a vehicle with 4 wheel drive. there is a little stream behind the shelter perfect for refilling your water supply. if you get the chance to snag one of the few camping spots at the overlook consider yourself lucky and wake up in time to catch the sunrise. you won't regret it!

Friday, April 14, 2017