Crabtree Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tyro, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Nice trail. Lots of stairs in the beginning but after the stairs it’s not too bad. We’re not in the best shape but we’re able to handle it just fine but it was tough. Saw a variety of people (kids, elders, runners) so it’s really not that hard of a trail.

Views at the top were very nice as were views of the falls on the way up. We went on a day it was a little rainy and it was a little slippery (wet rocks and wet leaves) but very doable even if the weather isn’t ideal.

It’s an out and back and my Fitbit clocked in just over 4 miles for the whole thing so I don’t think the distance is accurate on here.

Bring $3 for parking and ladies bring toilet paper if you plan on using the restrooms at the parking lot.

There had been lots of rain and the falls were fantastic. Glad we had our hiking poles for stability on the wet rocks and leaves.

It’s tough but the view is worth it!

Great, quick hike!!

Hiked this trail this past July. It was a well maintained trail and a good workout! It gets you sweating and feeling good. It is steep but nothing crazy. Pack snacks and bring plenty of water to enjoy the view at the top!

This is a great “developed hike”. The trail is maintained , with wooden lookouts over the falls to keep visitors safe. Great trail for kids if they will listen and stay where instructed. The lower portion is accessible and when it isn’t too wet wheelchairs can even get access. Hmm. Go during an off season and avoid the crowds. We’ve done it while it was snowing lightly and were nearly alone.

Fun hike, view of the falls is ok

Very nice hike. The falls are beautiful. I love how the trail brings you back to the falls at several different levels.

Good workout! Pretty steep uphill at parts. Our dog was worn out. Great views of the waterfall, and an amazing view of the mountains at the top made it worth it!

Excellent and higher end of moderate for those hiking with kids.

beautiful

Very foggy day, but absolutely gorgeous! Great uphill walk. Dog friendly was nice as we gave 2 hounds. There was traffic on the trail, but not too bad.

amazing hike,very steep incline for a short distance hike but you are alongside the waterfall for the majority of the time and there is a couple rest spots if needed, went right after a rain storm and the falls were flowing hard, nice view if you go alittle further past the fall

This was a fun day hike! It was a little too crowded for my liking but overall an awesome experience. It is quite a climb up all of the stairs but worth the views and it is nice and easy on the way down.

easy

It’s a nice uphill hike that follows the creek with nice lookouts onto the waterfall. The first part of the hike has nicely built stairs. It does get crowded but there’s a nice vista at the end onto the valley.

Great trail. It was really crowded. It has paid parking. I would've given it 5 stars without the huge crowds.

Great hike! There is a $3 fee per vehicle and it was totally worth more than that! I'd definitely say it's a moderate level hike. there are also plenty of beautiful spots with benches to stop and catch your breath or give the kiddos a rest.

Highlight was to see a timber rattler between switchbacks - great climbs and views, nice to see a lot of upgrades being done to walkways and viewing decks.

It's a great easy hike to go on with kids or pets. At the end there's a nice view.

I love this hike. The falls are gorgeous and the view at the top is so worth it.

Hiked this with my wife, 10yo daughter, 9yo daughter, and 7yo son. Great trail and very popular. There were more people on the trail than I expected for a Friday morning. This trail was a return to hiking for me, and I managed fine. My wife is new to hiking, and this trail was a little taxing for her. My kids had a blast, but were ready to get back to the truck by the time we logged a 4.2 mile round trip. It was pretty humid and a great lesson about packing enough water and having a cooler waiting in the truck for the finish. Also, I was happy that I outfitted everyone with proper hiking boots or shoes. The trail was rockier than I imagined. Of course I saw some hiking in tennis shoes, but I’m super glad I wasn’t one of them. All in all, great family outing and we all slept well that night!!!

Easy hike. Down and back in about 2.5 hours. Worth it at the top

Beautiful hike, lots of rain the last couple of weeks so the falls were roaring. Moderate is an accurate assessment. Hiked it with my wife and our two granddaughters. Girls complained a little but not to much which rates this as a good family hike. will differently hike it again when in the area.

Hiked this with a friend after a week of heavy rain and the falls were incredible! The trail was waterlogged and a little difficult to navigate at points, but overall still a beautiful hike. Crabtree is one of my favorite hikes in central VA.

great views of the waterfall. well maintained trails.

Beautiful views all the way up the trail! View from the top was nice and had a small area if you want to sit and enjoy the view! Pretty steep incline but worth it! Work out with a view! Loved it

Me, my husband and our 3yo goldendoodle did this hike on July 28th. The hike up the falls was simply stunning and we took full advantage of the rest areas to enjoy the scenery. The view from the top was absolutely gorgeous and decided to continue on to Crabtree Meadows, the AT and then back down. If you have time, I highly recommend adding the extra miles to round out the hike.

My husband, daughter (age 7), son (age 5) and myself (who is 20 weeks pregnant) LOVED this hike. We did it in June. Plan to pack lunch and bring lots of water. The trail, at the time we went, was moderately trafficked with other hikers. Very enjoyable and something we will do again

Did this late October. Weather was perfect and the trail itself was easy for beginners. Loved the waterfall, foliage, and overlook!