Crabtree Falls Trail

Crabtree Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tyro, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

14 minutes ago

Did this late October. Weather was perfect and the trail itself was easy for beginners. Loved the waterfall, foliage, and overlook!

Awesome trail. Absolutely stunning views. Very fun for children. Cost was $3 to park. Zen rock sculptures along the way that was really neat. Cave for kids to climb through. Beautiful vista at the top after uphill trek.

First time hiking this and I'll be back. Though the weather was in the 90s today it didn't feel that hot walking thanks to all the shade from trees which made it more enjoyable.
The multiple levels to stop and admire the falls were beautiful and relaxing to view.
I definitely recommend this trail for a quick day hike.

Steep incline but well worth the views of the falls and the overlook if you go all the way up.

Hiked this trail back in November and there were many people hiking. There is a climb to the top however there are rest points as you go up and the view at the top is worth it. Well maintained trail. I originally thought that crab tree falls was one big waterfall but it is really multiple continuing waterfalls on various levels. Still a beautiful site.

This is listed in my area but I live in Washington state

I absolutely love and hate this trail! If you can get up the first third of the uphill you will do just fine the rest of the way. The stairs were tough for me. There are beautiful views of the falls along the way up. There is also a nice spot to rest and have a picnic at the top. The trail is busy and lots of people bring dogs. I saw some wild life on the trail, including a ring neck snake, a skink, tadpoles in some standing water, hawks flying at the top, and I may have heard a rattle snake. Good times, but grueling if you’re out of shape.

I had the wonderful experience of hiking up Crabtree Falls Trail in Amherst County today with a young friend. I’m “older.” This hike rises over 1000 feet in less than 1.5 miles. Let’s just say it’s steep! The trails are engineered and the fabulous, LONG waterfall courses beside you nearly the entire way! It is spectacular! Very heavily traveled. Dogs must be on a leash. I mean, yes, actually on a leash. The trail connects with the Appalachian trail but we didn’t go that far. I want to go back and see more of Priest Mountain in George Washington National Forest. Truly astonishing!

An extraordinary ascent alongside cascading waterfalls the entire 1.5 miles each way. Ideal hike. Waterfalls with a bit of a workout .

Gorgeous views the entire way. Steep, but not too much to handle.

Bop.

I love this hike! Our family has gone numerous times over the years, but this time I went with 2 friends who had never been. Everyone loved it! I would rate it moderate—the trail is well-marked, well-maintained, strenuous at times but certainly doable and plenty of interesting rest stops (5 waterfalls, a cave, stacked hikers’ rocks). We had a few muddy spots, but it had rained the night before so that was expected. Saw lots of families with dogs. We continued onto the Crabtree Meadows parking lot (Decent Bathroom stop there), then turned around to come back down. Apple Watch said 6 miles total.

we hiked this trail for the first time the other day. we went to see the falls. but got a bonus when we got the top in tine to see the sunset. i highly recommend this hike. will be going agin very soon!

Breathtaking hike! It is technical enough to keep your focus but not so much that you can’t enjoy yourself. They are working to add more railings and improve safety, which is encouraging to see. I can’t wait to visit again!

Beautiful Hike with a Waterfall and Mountain View

Probably a little too ambitious for our first hike. The way down was tough on my knees. But the views were beautiful!

Great hike today with my 12 year old son. He wanted to hike to a waterfall and it didn’t disappoint. Wear boots in spring. Lots of mud. Years ago I used it as an access trail to the AT. It’s a great place to start a section hike.

Absolutely beautiful and stunning views. I would rate this hike moderate to difficult for the 40 something unconditioned hiker with bad knees. The trail was covered in snow and at times a sheet of ice and I am grateful I had a walking stick. I made it to the top and back with little issues. Slow and steady!!! The waterfall and the views from the top were completely awe inspiring. I was one of the last cars left in the parking lot. I saw deer and a black bear as I headed out

Beautiful!

loved it!

There is something to be said for going on this hike in the winter....there are no leaves...you can see the falls on the entire hike. It was beautiful ...we are new to hiking...but we went to the top...no problem....would definitely do this again. trying spring next time!

spet and oct 2017 i did a ton of trails from this site with in WV, VA, TN, GA, NC & SC. i don't to 10 20 mile trails i like doing short trail up to 8 miles. i look for rewards than 20 total miles and this trail has a lot of rewards. don't miss out.

My girlfriend and I went this morning despite it being cool outside (29 degF). Great views of the water falls from multiple locations on the trail! Some icy areas but overall pretty easy climb and descent. Highly recommend stopping at the rock cave about half way up

Went with wife and three year old daughter. We held her hand the majority of the time, but she was able to complete the majority of the trail with minimal whining, until about half a mile out back to the bottom. The views were great, especially at the top. We hiked several days before Christmas and there were about 5-7 families on the trail during the 3 hours we spent there. I am sure it's probably much more traffic during the spring and summer months.

We stopped here during a drive from North Carolina to Pennsylvania. Beautiful area, though not a lot of room to explore.

Great hike, wonderfull views of the falls most of the way up the trail. My family of 4 and our dog made it without any difficulty.

Great trail for a family hike. It is moderate because you go uphill for most of the way to the tips of the waterfall. Uphill, but not difficult. There were people of all ages there. Very beautiful views.

A wonderful cascading waterfall that you follow all the way to the top, where you now have a spectacular view of the mountains. The signs say it is 1.7 each way, but it goes quick and isn't too strenuous.

Nice waterfall hike. 3.4 mile out and back trail. I think the 2.8 is if you turn back at the final waterfall view point (at 1.4 miles). There are some stair sections. Parking is $3 by deposit box.

Did this a while ago with the family. It’s a fun hike with a group of people.