Crabtree Falls Trail

Crabtree Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tyro, Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

An extraordinary ascent alongside cascading waterfalls the entire 1.5 miles each way. Ideal hike. Waterfalls with a bit of a workout .

Gorgeous views the entire way. Steep, but not too much to handle.

Bop.

I love this hike! Our family has gone numerous times over the years, but this time I went with 2 friends who had never been. Everyone loved it! I would rate it moderate—the trail is well-marked, well-maintained, strenuous at times but certainly doable and plenty of interesting rest stops (5 waterfalls, a cave, stacked hikers’ rocks). We had a few muddy spots, but it had rained the night before so that was expected. Saw lots of families with dogs. We continued onto the Crabtree Meadows parking lot (Decent Bathroom stop there), then turned around to come back down. Apple Watch said 6 miles total.

we hiked this trail for the first time the other day. we went to see the falls. but got a bonus when we got the top in tine to see the sunset. i highly recommend this hike. will be going agin very soon!

Breathtaking hike! It is technical enough to keep your focus but not so much that you can’t enjoy yourself. They are working to add more railings and improve safety, which is encouraging to see. I can’t wait to visit again!

Beautiful Hike with a Waterfall and Mountain View

Probably a little too ambitious for our first hike. The way down was tough on my knees. But the views were beautiful!

Great hike today with my 12 year old son. He wanted to hike to a waterfall and it didn’t disappoint. Wear boots in spring. Lots of mud. Years ago I used it as an access trail to the AT. It’s a great place to start a section hike.

Absolutely beautiful and stunning views. I would rate this hike moderate to difficult for the 40 something unconditioned hiker with bad knees. The trail was covered in snow and at times a sheet of ice and I am grateful I had a walking stick. I made it to the top and back with little issues. Slow and steady!!! The waterfall and the views from the top were completely awe inspiring. I was one of the last cars left in the parking lot. I saw deer and a black bear as I headed out

Beautiful!

loved it!

There is something to be said for going on this hike in the winter....there are no leaves...you can see the falls on the entire hike. It was beautiful ...we are new to hiking...but we went to the top...no problem....would definitely do this again. trying spring next time!

spet and oct 2017 i did a ton of trails from this site with in WV, VA, TN, GA, NC & SC. i don't to 10 20 mile trails i like doing short trail up to 8 miles. i look for rewards than 20 total miles and this trail has a lot of rewards. don't miss out.

My girlfriend and I went this morning despite it being cool outside (29 degF). Great views of the water falls from multiple locations on the trail! Some icy areas but overall pretty easy climb and descent. Highly recommend stopping at the rock cave about half way up

Went with wife and three year old daughter. We held her hand the majority of the time, but she was able to complete the majority of the trail with minimal whining, until about half a mile out back to the bottom. The views were great, especially at the top. We hiked several days before Christmas and there were about 5-7 families on the trail during the 3 hours we spent there. I am sure it's probably much more traffic during the spring and summer months.

We stopped here during a drive from North Carolina to Pennsylvania. Beautiful area, though not a lot of room to explore.

Great hike, wonderfull views of the falls most of the way up the trail. My family of 4 and our dog made it without any difficulty.

Great trail for a family hike. It is moderate because you go uphill for most of the way to the tips of the waterfall. Uphill, but not difficult. There were people of all ages there. Very beautiful views.

A wonderful cascading waterfall that you follow all the way to the top, where you now have a spectacular view of the mountains. The signs say it is 1.7 each way, but it goes quick and isn't too strenuous.

Nice waterfall hike. 3.4 mile out and back trail. I think the 2.8 is if you turn back at the final waterfall view point (at 1.4 miles). There are some stair sections. Parking is $3 by deposit box.

Did this a while ago with the family. It’s a fun hike with a group of people.

Nice view, not too difficult.

This was a very fun hike! There are a lot of steps to climb and we did it in the winter a couple years ago and the rocks were slippery from ice. Beautiful waterfalls and an awesome view at the very very top. Going down was harder on my knees and took me longer to get down. Still worth the views!

Crowded parking. Many do not wear the proper shoes for a steep rocky hike.

I did this hike back in January it was very pretty and it was -1 with traces of snow on the trail.

Great views along the way, especially at the top. Nice workout because of the stairs/switchbacks. Would be good for a trail run, however it can be a little crowded/high traffic in some parts.

Beautiful hike and the waterfall is beautiful too

Great place to take friends from out of town.

Crabtree falls was very fun to hike minus the fact that it was raining, other than that it was a great experience. Also watch your step, it gets very easy to loose your footing.