Cold Spring Bald Mountain Trail

Cold Spring Bald Mountain Trail is a 10.4 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Stuarts Draft, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

off road driving

Definitely fun, bumpy, and challenging! This was a lot tougher than I anticipated however. Some puddles and rock structures seemed very intimidating. About 2-3 puddles actually came all the way up to my half doors. I drive a TJ with a 2.5" lift on 285/75r16's for height reference. (Also I went about a day after harsh rain) I would be very hesitant to bring a bone stock vehicle up this trail. From deep puddles, deep ruts, and some helacious rocks to conquer, this would be quite the impossible task. At the bare minimum you NEED upgraded/stronger tires. This trail will devour stock tires. Also a trail buddy is advised, as always. This trail is very secluded and lightly trafficked so if you get stuck or injured, you're pretty much beat. I was fortunate to never get stuck or hung up, but take the extra precaution... So in summary, *If you're looking for an aggressive challenge and have upgraded your jeep's suspension and tires, this is for you*. (Also beware the GPS, it took me down several private driveways where I had no business being, I drove 1.5 hours to get to this trail)

trail is okay but what's the difference between this and big levels

off road driving

Mostly stock friendly, there's a couple rocky areas and mudholes that are not stock friendly. You will have pin stripes at the end. It's a good 3 hour trip. This was my second time out with HMMWVs. Trail is narrow with brush but no trees are in the way.

off road driving

I was out with a group of jeepers For my 1st Ever Jeep trail run. This trail is A-blast. It is challenging but not so much to the point That is frustrating. I was the only Jeep Liberty in a group of Wranglers and had no problem running with them.
On a side note though. Beware the water crossings if it's been rainy they can get rather deep... Fun but deep. Happy trails y'all.

off road driving

the jeep trail was amazing for my first time doing a trail run, lots of fun, and definately stock friendly.

Our '91 XJ has a 4" lift and 33" tires
This trail was not very challenging for us but we chose it because we were traveling alone (no extra spotters or tow assistance) and had our 7yo kid and two dogs with us. We had a lovely trip and made it through in a 3-4 hours, while taking plenty of time to explore the creeks, puddles, and overlooks. Before we got there, there had been several days of rain, and a massive thunderstorm the night before, so the puddles were quite deep. Our XJ handled them all just fine, but there were a few I would not recommend trying in a stock vehicle; don't go right after it rains unless you have a lift! The 0.8 mile bypass/alternate trail on the north half of Bald Mountain trail was more challenging than the main trail, but not impossible (we were coming down the hill) for stock vehicles with drivers who have been wheeling before.
My husband's AT&T iPhone was able to get at least one bar of cell service for most of the trip, but there's very little connectivity on the way there.
Overall, this would be a fun trip for anyone who's been wheeling before, but probably not engaging enough for experienced drivers who are looking for a real challenge.
Camping at Sherando Lake Recreational Park was a dream, but there are a bunch of (free) campsites with fire pits near the Southern trailhead by the Blue Ridge Parkway where we will camp if we go again. 4/5 stars, will do again. :)

off road driving

This is a great trail with anything from rocks to mud. However if you are concerned about scatching your vehicle I would not recommend this trail. As others have mentioned it gets very narrow in places. I have a 2017 Toyota Tacoma and it rubbed on both sides in many places. Didn't bother me since this is what I bought the Off road addition for (and white). One of the few trails in VA available to the public.

off road driving

Great trail. A Jeep trail for sure based on width alone. Based on these reviews I picked up some magarmor (Smittybilt) and waxed her the day before, it saved the paint. Highly recommend it unless you don’t mind the scratches. A few sections are rough but not overly so, enough to make it fun without worrying too much. Mud got a little deep in one hole but most of the deep ones have bypasses if you prefer. By the way, if it has a bypass it means that is a deep hole, came to that conclusion on the last deep hole (lol). Wife and I had a good day.

off road driving

Great trail, only it could use some widening. Anything bigger than your little sister’s tricycle and you’re getting your ride scratched up. We did this trail in a ‘17 Taco 4x4 Off Road and it did fantastic! It was a lot of fun trying out different crawl control speeds and the MTS. Take the trail nice and slow and you’ll do fine.

This was our first trail in the jeep, definetly not for beginners. The "alternate" routes are a bit rough on stock suspension. the water was a bit deeper them it looks in some sections almost 1/4 way up the doors. I thoughti was going to need a winch in one "puddle". driving it in a manual transmission was a fun change though. love the trail. upgrade my suspension and I'm going back, I'm doing the whole 10 miles again.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Going do 10 miles Oct

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

This was my first adventure in off road driving and it was a definite challenge. My Army surplus 1989 M998 Humvee was more than up to the challenge, but this trail is called a Jeep trail for a reason that is not obvious. It is only wide enough for a Jeep size vehicle to pass through most of it without scraping the mountain laurel that lines both sides of the trail. My Humvee is 7'2" wide so I think we collected enough debris to fill a truck as we scraped our way through the very narrow sections of the trail.

Many areas are also studded with large rock that would destroy an oil pan on any vehicle without high ground clearance. Also, portions of the trail were under water from rain or mountain streams. At a couple of these places we forded 30 inches of water with mud bottom. Really would not have tried it in a Jeep without a fording kit.

The only other people we encountered were bear hunters training their dogs. They had specially built high ground clearance vehicles with dog kennels built-in. They came up the trail from the Blue Ridge Parkway and we had to coordinate our last 3 miles with them to keep from meeting head to head in an area where passing was impossible. They were used to doing this and had radios to coordinate travel.

When we finally finished the 10.5 miles of bone jarring crawling over rocks, splashing through water, and scraping mountain laurel for 3 hours we breathed a great sigh of relief at finally being on a smooth surface. The Humvee is definitely not designed for comfort, but nothing stops it. Transfer case in low and transmission in 2nd and it never broke a sweat. I did, but the Humvee didn't.

Only reason for not giving it 5 stars is the narrow trail not friendly to wide vehicles.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

First experience off road and it was quite the introduction! This trail pretty much runs the gamut as far as various terrains you encounter. There's also several different routes you can take along the trail.

It's definitely catered to jeeps as the trail gets narrow in parts, but I brought my taco and had no issues. Saw others on the trail with full size pickups. If you don't mind getting some minor scratches on your vehicle definitely worth checking out.

My only gripe is the trail is pretty long if you take it the whole way from BRP to Coal road. As a first timer, I was getting tired by the end. Plus I'm old.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

very nice trail change every year

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Very convenient trail to Wintergreen resort.

Very rocky start, but not in a good way. Rocks as obstacles are cool and fun, but nonstop 6-8" tall rocks just jar anybody not in the drivers seat. My kids (4, 6) hated the first 70% of the trail. 2nd part of the trail has lots of fun water holes.

Opens up to 2 decent views of valleys. Lots of camping spots.

Wouldn't recommend for those with passengers.

I haven't done many other trails in this area, so I'd definitely try them next before this again.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Great trail to hike hope to do 10 Miles of it in October

Sunday, July 02, 2017

What a trail, this was my first time on this trail and I have to say it was magnificent. Got a little rain in the middle of the trail which made for some pleasant puddles.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Good trail, brush is thick on sides. Would not suggest if you don't drive a jeep

Friday, June 23, 2017

great trail id have to say its a jeep specific trail but yes i would definitely go back

Friday, May 26, 2017

Great trail, but due to recent rain, some water was nearly 2 - 3 feet deep. Some rocky areas a little tough with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Okay, yes, it was our first time going off road, and we thought we weren't going to make it! Whew!

Monday, April 03, 2017

I had a great time good water puddles up and down the rocks just a great time in the rain

Monday, March 27, 2017

Very Awesome jeep trail. We took the alternate trail which is a few miles in, very narrow and expect some minor scratches if you take the alternate trail, but you can go around if you wanted to avoid it, very fun and completely worth it. Never needed my winch and I was in a "Stock" 2016 Jeep Wrangler Willys. The stock Rubicon tires made a big difference. 2wd the first few miles until the alternate path which Lockers would have helped but were not necessary. switched between 4 low and high often. Will be returning!

Friday, November 11, 2016

Great trail but we did the Jeep trail alternate and got scraped up along my sides due to the trail being narrow. Plan to go back and take a different path. We had 2015 t4r trail 5100 bilstines 3" lift w/ set of 285 70 17 nitto treagrapler. Didn't bottom or or get stuck. Used 2wd after the rocks

Monday, October 31, 2016

nice trail took my buddy off roading with his jeep first time he loves it he is hooked now

Monday, September 26, 2016

It was nice for the first time off-road had lots of fun

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Had a great time , first time off-road in my jeep