Cliffside Trail

Cliffside Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troutdale, Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

The map lead you a creekside camp not to a cliffside view I thought it would be. I went a bit further, but still did not see the view (see recording). Maybe someone can explore this trail better. The hike until the camp is very easy and nice. Partly horse trail. The forest is really very nice here. This worth the trip. I suspect more exploration in this area would result in better hiking recommendations.

Definitely not an easy hike if you take it to the top. It does start easy but its called cliffside for a reason. I love the climb and you will most likely have the trail to yourself.

Monday, September 19, 2016

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Monday, November 11, 2013

If you want to get to the top expediently, this is the trail. It takes the direct route, going from Lewis Fork trailhead to Rhododendron Gap in only 3 miles. It is steep at times, with rocks to climb over. It is not suitable for horses or mountain bikes. The ranger at Grindstone warned me about this trail, but I took anyway. When he asked me later how it went, I replied "It was pretty steep, but I could follow it. It was in ok condition." This trail was part of my Wilburn Ridge trek of Aug. 2012. The views were awesome, and I loved the hike. This was the first time at Mt. Rogers.