Chadwell Gap Trail

Chadwell Gap Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ewing, Virginia that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, camping, and horses. Horses are also able to use this trail.

cave

It's a shame that you can't use martins fork cabin anymore. A lot of people don't know about the stoneface rock formation as you get to top of chadwell gap trail. I posted a picture of it from back in the 80s. It is still visible if you know where to look.

The elevation Change makes this much harder than you think.

This trail is fairly short, but because of the elevation change it was fairly challenging. there aren't any blazes marking the path but it's worn and not too hard to follow even at night. I hiked in at 8 or so at night and made it to Martin's Fork cabin around midnight. Most likely would go faster during daylight hours. the rest of the park is beautiful but there aren't many interesting features on this specific trail.

It is a rough hike but spent the day at the Hensley Settlement so it was worth it. I've also done it just up to the top and back which only gives you the gratification of completion, which is still worth it.

Hard trail with little payoff. Me and my dog took about four hours to hike to the top and back, starting from the Chadwell Gap parking lot. It's a nice hike until you get to the old foundation right at the foot of the mountain, and then it's straight uphill from there. The trail is rough. Lots of big rocks. The rock formations and cuts in the rock are cool. I was hoping for a big payoff--a great view from the top. Spent about 20 minutes at the summit looking for a view and couldn't see anything through the trees. Disappointed, we hiked back down. Down was harder on my knees than up because of the steep grade, but it was much less strenuous. I probably won't do it again.

We enjoyed several sites along the way to the Sand Cave. We saw deer, smaller cave, incredible rock formations.Downside is the sign was missing at the bottom of the trail and we missed the left to the Sand Cave. We put it in reverse and finally found the cave - a little confusing but definitely worth seeing at least once. Parts of trail were overgrown with briars and the loose rocks were problematic coming down the trail - slipped multiple times - luckily didn't wipe out. Hiked a total of 13.9 miles. Beware of the gnats & horse flies!!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

started at chadwell gap parking lot and hiked to the Hensley Settlement it was hard uphill hike but very beautiful. the rock formation above you, the beautiful flowers, the views of the valley below makes it worth the effort. did not see any water crossing. We did not see any hikers on the way up but encountered few groups on the way down. the trip definitely worth repeating.

Monday, April 11, 2016

We started at the Chadwell Gap trailhead and hiked to the Hensley Settlement. The trail is well marked. We only saw one other hiker the whole day. This hike was a challenge. Our group included a range of ages and skill level from 50's to 12yrs. We started early and used most of the day to hike and explore. I will definitely go back to try out the other trails that are connected.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Monday, December 14, 2015

hiked for second time December 11 2015 with my husband Jeff. temperature in upper sixty's and VERY foggy. the fog was a first for me...made fir some interesting photos but could not see anything from atop white rocks! the water fall at the sand cave was awesome...I liked it better with sun shining on it but the mist was different! challenging on our older knees but worth the time.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

I am not a fan of this trail. It is very difficult for sure but it is also very rocky with loose golfball & baseball sized rocks. This makes for a tough assent and decent. There are no views from the top or along the trail. Gibson Gap is a much better choice in my opinion and it is equal in challenge. Note: This review is for the Chadwell Gap Trial ONLY, once you reach the Ridge Trail at the top of the mountain Hensley Settlement and White Rocks are awesome with amazing views!
BTW, the description speaks of a waterfall, I didn't see a waterfall, maybe I was going during the wrong time of year.

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Friday, May 29, 2015

OMG....I thought this trail was very challening! begins flat but then after about one mile became quite steep. Loved the dripping water fall at the cave indentions. surprised at all the rocks and clifts. great views. finally made it to the settlement. so lush and green and flat...no wonder they very seldom came down from the mountain....they had to climb back up! Beautiful photo ops.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Awesome hike, I have hiked this trail twice and plan on going again this week. very strenuous but so rewarding!

Sunday, November 24, 2013

I have hiked this area several times and make the loop from white Rocks to Sand Cave every time very worth your time and effort.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

strenuous hike, especially with a backpack, but gorgeous view and many sights to see. couldn't be more peaceful. definitely a must hike! some portions of the trail you are even aloud to ride on horseback.

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

very rough hike but very rewarding also.